Cadel Evans is out of the tour squad!!!!

Yeah, he would be annoyed right now, particularly as he won
the tour of Austria, and Vinokourov is out.

Where did I read recently that a stint at T-Mobile (formerly
Telekom) was killing ambition because they always had to
ride for 'ginger nuts' ... ? Remember that name Santiago
Botero? Paolo Savoldelli?

Maybe a change of teams for him then?

"jazmo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> How peeved would he be?
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2004/jun04/j-
> un23news
>

> --

Originally posted by flyingdutch
Seems wierd. He's be way handy in the hills for the 'pie-muncher' and in the team TT, him and ginger would just tow everyone home!

g'day,

cadel would be in if he was german!. (german team/german sponsor). If the squad was picked simply on ability to help jan in the tour, they would of left out Zabel. Eric isn't likely to be able to sprint with the likes of cookie, mcewen, Pettachi or even the 'lion king' anymore. Obviously only been chosen to satisfy the sponsor. watch out for mick rogers though...i reckon he could go top 5 this year,

cheers,

Hitchy

Originally posted by Hitchy

watch out for mick rogers though...i reckon he could go top 5 this year,

cheers,

Hitchy

good tip. the 'forgotten' aussie at the mo

BTW, how is that Look frame comin along hitch ?

Cadel Evans out of the tour, I'm gutted.

Last year a Hobart journo, John Briggs, went over especially to follow Cadel in his first tour, but that was thwarted by the broken collarbone.

Anyway all is not lost as Briggsie has published a book of his experiences in France called "Hugo, Armstrong and Me" , Zeus Publications. Well worth a read for Victor Hugo or Cycling tragics.

It must be shattering to him but lets face it, with the team hes on it was always a fair chance to happen. I think hed be more help than Botero to Ullrich but then maybe Botero is a better all round rider? i dunno. im really dissappointed i wont get to see him ride. I was looking forward to following the tour live and an aussie who can climb with the GC contenders.

Rogers i think is still a year off climing wise before he can look at a top 10 placing. Top 20 for him i think, which is still a perfectly commendable effort. Thats assuming he wont be made to carry king richard in his uninteresting plight for the poka dot.

I also think Zabel is still worth a go in the tour. He woulda had a Milan San Remo victory this year <cept for this brain fart>, he can get over those climbs other sprinters cant, hes got enough in him to finish in the top 5 or so in bunch finishes and to be honest im really looking forward to seeing the great Zabel in the flesh. Hes a real pro and id love to see him race while hes still reasonably competitive. The tour de france's popularity is as much about the differant personalities and personas as the skill they all display. Its great theatre and i really cant wait to see my first tour live.

Where did I read recently that a stint at T-Mobile (formerly
Telekom) was killing ambition because they always had to
ride for 'ginger nuts' ... ? Remember that name Santiago
Botero? Paolo Savoldelli?

Maybe a change of teams for him then?

Was it one of the Americans - Leipheimer (?) who complained they signed up as a T-Mobile domestique and just rode their guts out for Zabel and Ulrich, with no chance for a personal win in the smaller races? So they signed on elsewhere. Cycle Sport, I think, last issue. Caveat Cadel.

MH

Hi,

It was Bobby Julich. He was going to retire but signed
up for CSC.

mfhor wrote:

> wrote:
> > Where did I read recently that a stint at T-Mobile
> > (formerly Telekom) was killing ambition because they
> > always had to ride for 'ginger nuts' ... ? Remember
> > that name Santiago Botero? Paolo Savoldelli? Maybe a
> > change of teams for him then?
>
> Was it one of the Americans - Leipheimer (?) who
> complained they signed up as a T-Mobile domestique and
> just rode their guts out for Zabel and Ulrich, with no
> chance for a personal win in the smaller races? So they
> signed on elsewhere. Cycle Sport, I think, last issue.
> Caveat Cadel.
>
> MH
>
> --

Top posting Cadel's problem is that he is an attacking
rider. Ullrich doesn't like that. He would prefer a steady
pacemaker.

With Hamilton, Heras, Mayo, Zubeldia likely to send off
attack after attack the last things Ullrich needs is to have
one of his teamates doing the same.

Unfortunately for Cadel this would have been perfect for
telecom as they could have sent him with the first
attacks and let Ullrich sit back....would have been great
in the Massif.

Peter ( what chance one of Armstrong's domestiques does
just that?)

news:[email protected]...