Cadel Evans on Enough Rope with Andrew Denton 6 Aug

On Aug 5, 8:40 pm, Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> 9:35pm Monday, 06 Aug 2007
> ABC TV
> rumour

I thought Cadel didn't do rope. Shouldn't they get Vino/Rasmusssen/etc/
etc on? ;^)

Tony F

On Aug 5, 8:40 pm, Donga <[email protected]> wrote:
> 9:35pm Monday, 06 Aug 2007
> ABC TV
> rumour

Opinions anyone? I thought all parties did well. Cadel didn't get
flustered with the satellite delay and gave measured responses, though
the "Idiots" remark was a little "lost the plot". His Grandma was
gold.

donga

Donga said:
9:35pm Monday, 06 Aug 2007
ABC TV
rumour
It wasn't great, I find video interviews never seem to work as well as the real thing. Still interesting though.

SomeGuy said:
It wasn't great, I find video interviews never seem to work as well as the real thing. Still interesting though.

Think the delay didn't help one iota, and Denton was far from being well-briefed on TdF lore. His nan was an absolute cracker though.

BTW - who saw Media Watch before hand & the 'conflict of interest' segment regarding David Ollie/Top Bike Tours? Sheesh, Davids been doing these segments for years on Virginia Trioli's program in Melb and now in Sydney. If Aunty had decent funding, and some decent cycling journos instead of footy tragics like Gerard Whateley, maybe this so-called 'conflict of interest' wouldn't be occuring.

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:04:48 +1000, SomeGuy wrote:

> It wasn't great, I find video interviews never seem to work as well as
> the real thing. Still interesting though.

No, it was disappointing. Denton's by far the best interviewer in the
country, but even he couldn't make Cadel open up much, and doing it
remotely doesn't help. He and his family seem to be quite shy,
introverted and untalkative.

On Aug 7, 11:13 pm, cfsmtb <cfsmtb.2uy...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:
> SomeGuy Wrote:
>
> > It wasn't great, I find video interviews never seem to work as well as
> > the real thing. Still interesting though.

> Think the delay didn't help one iota, and Denton was far from being
> well-briefed on TdF lore. His nan was an absolute cracker though.
>
> BTW - who saw Media Watch before hand & the 'conflict of interest'
> segment regarding David Ollie/Top Bike Tours? Sheesh, Davids been doing
> these segments for years on Virginia Trioli's program in Melb and now in
> Sydney. If Aunty had decent funding, and some decent cycling journos
> instead of footy tragics like Gerard Whateley, maybe this so-called
> 'conflict of interest' wouldn't be occuring.
>
> --
> cfsmtb

I saw that. As Mr Ollie predicted, the media watch segment was great
publicity - I certainly googled his site up immediately and have been
daydreaming about the tour tour ever since.

Michael Warner said:
He and his family seem to be quite shy,
introverted and untalkative.

Bollox, Cadels mum and nan came across as absolutely lovely & unpretentious, as did Susie Maroney & her mum. In this age of instant celeb + just add water, do we expect *everyone* to have a media coaching, PR consultants and BS spin at the ready?

On Aug 8, 12:05 am, Michael Warner <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 22:04:48 +1000, SomeGuy wrote:
> > It wasn't great, I find video interviews never seem to work as well as
> > the real thing. Still interesting though.

> No, it was disappointing. Denton's by far the best interviewer in the
> country, but even he couldn't make Cadel open up much, and doing it
> remotely doesn't help. He and his family seem to be quite shy,
> introverted and untalkative.

I'm sure Denton would have got a far better product if they were all
together in the studio. Mum and Gran seemed to be on video conference
and Cadel had a significant timeshift. It's extremely difficult to
communicate in this situation.

So should Denton have not tried, because it would never work? I'm glad
he did. Some other media tarts would have stayed clear.

Donga

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 09:37:47 +1000, cfsmtb wrote:

> Bollox, Cadels mum and nan came across as absolutely lovely &
> unpretentious

Sure, nice people, but not good interview subjects. It's possible to
be chatty and engaging without being a ******** artist.

While interviewers don't necessarily want subjects who ramble
on and on, neither do they want ones who give terse answers to every
question, and don't give any leads for follow-up questions.

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 17:16:02 -0700, Donga wrote:

> I'm sure Denton would have got a far better product if they were all
> together in the studio.

Actually, the best moment was when Cadel's wife poked her head into
the frame. He actually smiled and looked happy to be there for a few
seconds.

BTW, I don't agree with whoever said that Denton should have understood
pro cycling better before tackling it. If he did, the interview would have
gone right over the heads of most of his audience. If cycling geeks like us
want that sort of material, there are websites full of it.

Good on both of them for having a go at it, anyway.

cfsmtb wrote:

> SomeGuy Wrote:
> > It wasn't great, I find video interviews never seem to work as well as
> > the real thing. Still interesting though.

> Think the delay didn't help one iota, and Denton was far from being
> well-briefed on TdF lore. His nan was an absolute cracker though.
>
> BTW - who saw Media Watch before hand & the 'conflict of interest'
> segment regarding David Ollie/Top Bike Tours? Sheesh, Davids been doing
> these segments for years on Virginia Trioli's program in Melb and now in
> Sydney. If Aunty had decent funding, and some decent cycling journos
> instead of footy tragics like Gerard Whateley, maybe this so-called
> 'conflict of interest' wouldn't be occuring.
>
> --
> cfsmtb

Cycling and soccer, or what the europeans have worshipped for so long
have never really caught on in Oz probably because of our Irish
English heritage of the various footbrawls, Crykette, Golfe,
and Tennisse.

Watching one man in a race doesn't have the team attraction thing ....

Of course one thing about cycling which makes it exciting
is doing it yourself rather than watching someone else.

( What about Tour Of Austraya? 7 stages in seven states? )

Anyway, whatever, where can I read a transcript of the Denton interview?

I don't have TV, ( or even a mobile phone or i-pod )
What URL?

Patrick Turner.

On Aug 9, 2:25 pm, "verb" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Michael Warner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > the frame. He actually smiled and looked happy to be there for a few
> > seconds.

> looks like dennis quaid

Hmm, he was in that old film "Breaking Away". Loved that. I wonder if
the vid shop still has it.

donga

John Henderson wrote:

> Patrick Turner wrote:
>
> > Anyway, whatever, where can I read a transcript of the Denton
> > interview?
> >
> > I don't have TV, ( or even a mobile phone or i-pod )
> > What URL?

> http://www.abc.net.au/tv/enoughrope/transcripts/s1998054.htm
>
> John

Thanks for that John.

A good interview I thought.

I just read Lance Armstrong's book about his cancer fight
and his first 3 TDF wins.
It appears both Cadel and Lance have freak physiology
which will see them outpace 99.99% of others in their field of
endeavour.
Lance comes across as a very agressive and even surly sort of guy
who really enjoys "ripping the legs off people on hills",
and who was notoriously imature when young. Later he becomes a
crafty and vicious rider on the bike, but otherwise is a gentleman.
To wear success with dignity isn't easy.
Cadel seems to be just as keen, but a little less the larrikin.
But really topclass sports people are rarely always nice guys.
Hell, they like to win and really hate losing.
They have this unique ability to covert extreme anger into forward
motion.

But riding big Tours takes a lot of self control, and tactics,
and the impulsive ppl don't do very well.
Of course the TDF is only one of many big bike races we ever hear about.
I thought Stephen Roche was a dazzler when he won the Tour of Italy,
Tour of Spain,
and Tour De France all in the same year!
I reckon he wore himself out.
But yer couldn't even be 1/2 Irish if yer didn't, eh.

I recall when Niel Stephens and Steven Hodge came back to Oz
after their european seasons about 20 years ago and they raced in the
local Monday arvo
8k tile trials along a strip of highway here. The top club guys managed
about 10:50 but the pros
done 9:30, and made it look so utterly easy, even when off season.
As a slow old vet i could only ever manage 12:15....
So the pros were putting out at least twice my horsepower.

Cadel looks like winning next year.
But Contador is only a real young fella, and he looks set to perform
pretty well
when he makes his serious plans to win.
I dunno if he'll be another Indurain, but the Tour has a habit of
bringing
cream to the surface where it floats for years.

Who will dominate during the years ahead?

I just hope it ain't Bottlo Pillza.
His friend Injector Needla also is a possibility.

Patrick Turner.

"Patrick Turner" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
:
:
: Cadel looks like winning next year.
: But Contador is only a real young fella, and he looks set to perform
: pretty well
: when he makes his serious plans to win.
: I dunno if he'll be another Indurain, but the Tour has a habit of
: bringing
: cream to the surface where it floats for years.
:
: Who will dominate during the years ahead?

that's a good question
especially since the latest test results on various couldabeen/wouldabeens
and increased investigations into Contador
and his asociation and/or activities with the doping industry

:
: I just hope it ain't Bottlo Pillza.
: His friend Injector Needla also is a possibility.

seems like the elite sport of cycling needs a transplant . . .

--
a friendly growl from the bear on the Zephyr that roars

/_ / _ / /__/ /__ / \ / \ ....Kawasaki Zephyr

~~~ ~ _@
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . puff...puff . . . puffing away on his treadly

barry j taylor < [email protected] >
Ulysses #25871: netrider #549
Skype: ursus_australis