Cadel EVANS supporting Contadope !!!!

poulidor said:
Wheelsucking is ineffective on climb, at less than 20km/h, there is no drag gain. Maybe only psychological benefit. Why not be in front sometimes? Isn't it an indication of weakness?
I don't think that is true. If you are going at 20 km/hr, and there is no wind, you are effectively battling air resistance corresponding to a wind of 20 km/hr. If you are standing still, I'm sure you would feel a 20 km/hr wind as significant. Wheelsucking should reduce this air resistance significantly...

TheDarkLord said:
I don't think that is true. If you are going at 20 km/hr, and there is no wind, you are effectively battling air resistance corresponding to a wind of 20 km/hr. If you are standing still, I'm sure you would feel a 20 km/hr wind as significant. Wheelsucking should reduce this air resistance significantly...
Of course, you feel the wind, but when you are one meter behind a rider, the protect effect is probably around 1% or 2% , sure clearly less than 5%

You can try it easily when there is 20 km/h of wind, you just have to go outside with a (girl-)friend.

Ok, since I brought up the dreaded 'w'-word, here's my take on it.

Of course wheelsucking is a smart way to ride a race, especially when your capabilities are a little bit below of the guy whose wheel you're sucking. What I find deplorable is the following:

1) sucking wheel, not taking any turns at all
2) sprint ahead for the last 200 yards (or try to) for, say, a totally inconsequential 5th place.

When you suck wheel up a difficult climb, at least have the decency to cross the line behind, especially when there's very little at stake for you.

(not saying that Cadel does this ... all the time, I'm just explaining my views here.)