Cadel Evans vs Michael Rogers

I get the impression Cadel is seen to be more of a local hero than
Michael Rogers.

Why is this?

I do like Cadel better but not sure why I dont feel as strongly
for Michael to succeed (though I do want him to, just more
strongly for Cadel).

Is this true in general or just me?

[email protected] wrote:
> I get the impression Cadel is seen to be more of a local hero than
> Michael Rogers.
>
> Why is this?
>
> I do like Cadel better but not sure why I dont feel as strongly
> for Michael to succeed (though I do want him to, just more
> strongly for Cadel).
>
> Is this true in general or just me?

How much money do they earn and are they paying Aussie tax?
Fit blokes making money, good on 'em, wouldn't know em from Joe Bloggs
otherwise.
As TISM say "B F W"

[email protected] wrote in news:1121409635.115023.49270
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

> I get the impression Cadel is seen to be more of a local hero than
> Michael Rogers.
>
> Why is this?
>
> I do like Cadel better but not sure why I dont feel as strongly
> for Michael to succeed (though I do want him to, just more
> strongly for Cadel).
>
> Is this true in general or just me?

Because Cadel has a sweet ride? (I like the Ridley for some reason
although I'd probably prefer a soloist)

Or he is in the same team as Robbie and can add glory to the Aussie
effort where as Rogers is likely to yield a lead out to Boonen who
might've beaten Robbie? Or maybe because no one realises how good
Rogers really is (although he underperformed in Stage 1)?

Who knows, I think it is a coverage thing and the current performance of
Cadel means he is more visible but the upcoming time trial might change
things a bit.

When 6% of the field is Aussie you can always find someone to cheer for.
Except O'Grady.

Cheers

BrettM

BrettM said:
[email protected] wrote in news:1121409635.115023.49270
@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Because Cadel has a sweet ride? (I like the Ridley for some reason
although I'd probably prefer a soloist)

Or he is in the same team as Robbie and can add glory to the Aussie
effort where as Rogers is likely to yield a lead out to Boonen who
might've beaten Robbie? Or maybe because no one realises how good
Rogers really is (although he underperformed in Stage 1)?

Cheers

BrettM
On topic in a bit but first this interesting stuff that came up today.......
I was in a conversation today from some one in touch with the D-L team, that they ( the riders) are all in revolt over their Ridley rides....except Axel and Robbie....seems *shock horror*,that Robbie isnt actually on a Ridley, ( its from some Belgium guy who "cannibalised" the TdeF and made up to look like a Rid. with a 1 1/4 bottom race on the headtube and a swish paint job to conceal Robbie's needs OK...., ( Axel rides his dad's bikes anyway)..rumour has it that the Team Rid's are lousey down hill, and all the guys are complaining they have to grind like buggery to keep up the pace at the front when Robbie calls for them, they just have to do it too hard compared to the Disco boys and QS-I.....comment too from the source to effect that Cadel's bike is a fight for him, great for near vertical climbs, which is what he likes, but for anything else he has to work overtime to get it to deliver power, and bonks out or has to get a tow to keep in touch( which is what has happened several times so far....so unless he is forward on it on a wall, it doesnt grunt for him ( seat tube is very steep .....)...wonder where he would be if his bike was better suited, that 15th GC place could be much better..... it may be an interesting thing to see how long they keep up the charade if this info checks out...just passing it along FYI...dont shoot the messenger...(and the source is a good one., with major TdeF creds..)

As for the other stuff, we will have to wait and see, Cadel has the big engine on the steep steep stuff, he just rides away from anyone when it is above 10%, so bring on the Pyrenees....Michael is a planning tactician for set events, that's why he excells in the TT at worlds....the TdeF is a lot different as it calls on all skills and a strong team to work with you...now that Boonen is out, maybe QS-I will help Micahel better.........Robbie is fast ( for 120-180 Meters), so he needs a lead out and a tow to get in position, if he has to do it himself, he usually can't finish off, and Stuey has all the smarts and the endurance to do it all, he just lacks a cohesive team that will work for him and do it consistently....Baden is finished IMHO....we are probably seeing him in his last TdeF...
* Dream Sequence Follows*
Imagine a team with five domestiques, plus Stuey, Michael, Robbie and Cadel....who would they (the Doms) be....McGee, Davis, Van Hout, Whitey, O'Neill....woohoo what a TTT lot and wouldnt that shake up the Tour...now who has a big cheque book and wants to promote an Ozzie Yellow, Green and Red Polka Dot Jersey, the White one too and the Team win all in one year.....

But what a spectacle...vivé Le Tour

rooman <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

are
> probably seeing him in his last TdeF...
> * Dream Sequence Follows*
> Imagine a team with five domestiques, plus Stuey, Michael, Robbie and
> Cadel....who would they (the Doms) be....McGee, Davis, Van Hout,
> Whitey, O'Neill....woohoo what a TTT lot and wouldnt that shake up

the
> Tour...now who has a big cheque book and wants to promote an Ozzie
> Yellow, Green and Red Polka Dot Jersey, the White one too and the Team
> win all in one year.....
>
> But what a spectacle...vivé Le Tour

I saw one of the Aussie's mention that (McEwen I think(?)) it would be
great if an Australian company stepped up to the plate and backed an
Aussie team in the pro tour. Pipe dreams but there are at least two
banks, four insurers and a couple of car companies that could handle it
not counting both of the mining companies.

Exposure - think of the coverage in Australia of an Australian team in
Europe flogging all comers (which would occasionally happen). Plus the
banks, insurers and mining companies I'm think of are all looking for
European investors. $15M is not that much.

Then there is Frank Lowry and Delfin Lend Lease. This company has 43
offices, including several in Europe, and numerous residential and
commercial properties.

The way I see it would probably be: -

Rogers, McGee and O'Grady strong in the classics but possible more as
domesitcs for Robbie (flat stages) and Cadel (GC) in the tours. McGee
is another option and possibly Rogers for the GC. And then there are
the younger blokes coming through Whitey et al. Egos might be an issue.

And as you said the TTT - the team would contain the core of one of the
most dominate 4000m pursuit teams in the world. I think could say it
would be quick.

Lets face it, someone needs to replace Discovery.

Cheers

Brett"off to find $15M"M

yeah, then you have all of those "egos" in one teams, dont think it would be much of a team, more like a ***** fight for top dog rights..... this is why Discovery works so well together, there is only 1

> I saw one of the Aussie's mention that (McEwen I think(?)) it would be
> great if an Australian company stepped up to the plate and backed an
> Aussie team in the pro tour. Pipe dreams but there are at least two
> banks, four insurers and a couple of car companies that could handle it
> not counting both of the mining companies.
>
> Exposure - think of the coverage in Australia of an Australian team in
> Europe flogging all comers (which would occasionally happen). Plus the
> banks, insurers and mining companies I'm think of are all looking for
> European investors. $15M is not that much.
>
> Then there is Frank Lowry and Delfin Lend Lease. This company has 43
> offices, including several in Europe, and numerous residential and
> commercial properties.
>
> The way I see it would probably be: -
>
> Rogers, McGee and O'Grady strong in the classics but possible more as
> domesitcs for Robbie (flat stages) and Cadel (GC) in the tours. McGee
> is another option and possibly Rogers for the GC. And then there are
> the younger blokes coming through Whitey et al. Egos might be an issue.
>
> And as you said the TTT - the team would contain the core of one of the
> most dominate 4000m pursuit teams in the world. I think could say it
> would be quick.
>
> Lets face it, someone needs to replace Discovery.
>
> Cheers
>
> Brett"off to find $15M"M

And to totally out-panache the euros, they should all ride Rivendell
customs. Apparently he can make up surprisingly light frames, even if they
are steel.

rooman said:
... it may be an interesting thing to see how long they keep up the charade if this info checks out...just passing it along FYI...dont shoot the messenger...(and the source is a good one., with major TdeF creds..)

roo, you were pushin this barrow weeks ago saying you didnt like the look of em and knew someone who handed theirs back. messenger-with-an-urge you are :). The ridley's could well be shite for all i know but if people aint tryin different stuff progress doesnt get made. look what mtb'in did for bikes/components. Hey, maybe cadel could break out the cannondale again? :D

FWIW hasnt robbie stuck with the merckx or Litespeeds under team paintjobs for awhile now?

flyingdutch said:
FWIW hasnt robbie stuck with the merckx or Litespeeds under team paintjobs for awhile now?

That's axl who's stuck with merkx.
Cyclingnews has a shoot of robbie's ridley - fitted with keos, so I got that right.

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>> I saw one of the Aussie's mention that (McEwen I think(?)) it would
>> be great if an Australian company stepped up to the plate and backed
>> an Aussie team in the pro tour. Pipe dreams but there are at least
>> two banks, four insurers and a couple of car companies that could
>> handle it not counting both of the mining companies.
>>
>> Exposure - think of the coverage in Australia of an Australian team
>> in Europe flogging all comers (which would occasionally happen).
>> Plus the banks, insurers and mining companies I'm think of are all
>> looking for European investors. $15M is not that much.
>>
>> Then there is Frank Lowry and Delfin Lend Lease. This company has 43
>> offices, including several in Europe, and numerous residential and
>> commercial properties.
>>
>> The way I see it would probably be: -
>>
>> Rogers, McGee and O'Grady strong in the classics but possible more as
>> domesitcs for Robbie (flat stages) and Cadel (GC) in the tours.
>> McGee is another option and possibly Rogers for the GC. And then
>> there are the younger blokes coming through Whitey et al. Egos might
>> be an issue.
>>
>> And as you said the TTT - the team would contain the core of one of
>> the most dominate 4000m pursuit teams in the world. I think could
>> say it would be quick.
>>
>> Lets face it, someone needs to replace Discovery.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Brett"off to find $15M"M

> And to totally out-panache the euros, they should all ride Rivendell
> customs. Apparently he can make up surprisingly light frames, even if
> they are steel.

The egos will be the show stopper. How often has the Aussie cycling
team imploded after a major meet?

Speaking of Rivendell - do you know anyone with Saluki?

Cheers

BrettM

rooman said:
I was in a conversation today from some one in touch with the D-L team, that they ( the riders) are all in revolt over their Ridley rides....except Axel and Robbie....seems *shock horror*,that Robbie isnt actually on a Ridley, ( its from some Belgium guy who "cannibalised" the TdeF and made up to look like a Rid. with a 1 1/4 bottom race on the headtube and a swish paint job to conceal Robbie's needs OK....,

Robbie's TdF Ridley
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/tech/?id=mcewen_ridley/IMG_0352
Cadel's Ridley
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/probikes/?id=evans_davitamon_ridley

that paintjob is pretty good at making those non-painted bits look like a ridley too :rolleyes:

I have been a fan of Roders for quite a while and a bit surprised to see that he is not climbing as well as Cadel.

In the past the doger has always been up there draging Richards ass up the hill. Hopefully he will shine in the mountians tonight

flyingdutch wrote:
> rooman Wrote:
> > I was in a conversation today from some one in touch with the D-L team,
> > that they ( the riders) are all in revolt over their Ridley
> > rides....except Axel and Robbie....seems *shock horror*,that Robbie
> > isnt actually on a Ridley, ( its from some Belgium guy who
> > "cannibalised" the TdeF and made up to look like a Rid. with a 1 1/4
> > bottom race on the headtube and a swish paint job to conceal Robbie's
> > needs OK....,

> Robbie's TdF Ridley
> http://tinyurl.com/acksm
> Cadel's Ridley
> http://tinyurl.com/dubcq
>
> that paintjob is pretty good at making those non-painted bits look like
> a ridley too :rolleyes:

they are a bit different, but the photos of those two bikes are 5-6
months apart. so a there could well be natural evolution in progress as
well. if you take a good look, the frames are very similar, but the
front forks are different, as are bars, seat post and seat. thats as
likely to be as much a function of the size and shape of the rider as
much as anything else =)

cheers,

kim

flyingdutch said:
Robbie's TdF Ridley
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/tech/?id=mcewen_ridley/IMG_0352
Cadel's Ridley
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005/probikes/?id=evans_davitamon_ridley

that paintjob is pretty good at making those non-painted bits look like a ridley too :rolleyes:
here is Axel's current ride, http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2005/tour05/?id=tour0514/merckx1

its made by his dad, painted with his dad's name and has the Ridley 1 1/4 in crown race ( al la Ridley), means that daddy Eddie can build anything to look like anyones.....and ( so I'm told by a credible D-L/TdeF source) Robbie's bike is a Merckx...with a 1 1/4 crown race , however the Ridley paint job....his damocles (eerr merckx, has a heap of FSA components over the production types mentioned on the Ridley web site ( heavy use of 4Za bits) and he has totally different chain stay profiles and engineering, dimensions and angles than the rest of the team....

It is cycling folklore, acknowledge by many tour riders that LA has ridden a Litespeed painted as a Trek in a few Tours back a bit, and its nothing new for the riders to keep their favourite ride over a sponsors product....just think IMHO that Cadel for one would do a lot better in wattage and reduced heart rate to handle the final climbs on the Pyrenees stages, if his bke worled with him and not against him.....in Stage14 he ran out of puff again when he was looking great and he said he was on his limit....(fighting his frame..no doubt as well as the slope...)

FD, yeah I had a few words recently about a Ridley expensive mistake by a friend...again... being the messenger........just shoot me :), that is not connected in anyway to this mention of info that came to hand.....just passing on FWIW stuff that seems to make sense when I hear and discuss with some builders, coaches and past Tour riders and current team contacts that there is a problem at D-L and the team riders on ridgydidge Ridley's are not happy chappies.....

Anyone's guess how it will all pan out, but I know that riders the likes of LA, Robbie and Axel, will ride their chosen steeds no matter what team sponsors may provide them to ride.....

And who could knock the spectacle they provide for us mere mortals to watch in awe and dribble/salivate in anticipation of the next stage....bring it on

pass me the stout.....nibbles and the remote.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 20:25:45 +1000, rooman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It is cycling folklore, acknowledge by many tour riders that LA has
>ridden a Litespeed painted as a Trek in a few Tours back a bit,

It is, but taken a little out of context. The Litespeed LA rode was
the TT bike in '99, with trek stickers on it. Trek at the time
didn't make a TT bike.

On 14 Jul 2005 23:40:35 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I get the impression Cadel is seen to be more of a local hero than
>Michael Rogers.
>
>Why is this?

Last night answered your question.

dewatf.

On 2005-07-20, dewatf (aka Bruce)
> On 14 Jul 2005 23:40:35 -0700, [email protected] wrote:
>
>>I get the impression Cadel is seen to be more of a local hero than
>>Michael Rogers.
>>
>>Why is this?

> Last night answered your question.

Who's Michael Rogers?
I'm only half serious :)

--
TimC
It has been said that physicists stand on one another's shoulders.

dewatf said:
On 14 Jul 2005 23:40:35 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>I get the impression Cadel is seen to be more of a local hero than
>Michael Rogers.
>
>Why is this?

Last night answered your question.

dewatf.

Today, the TV news update mentioned Michael Rogers was 66th. Nothing about Cadell.
Canberra's Michael Rogers. Canberra TV news bulletin. Local hero depends on your location.