Cadel Interviewed by Denton

Wayno said:
Cadel Rocks. Suck a mellow humble guy. Good interview.
One of the worst pieces of journalism I have ever come across in my life. Denton did ZERO homework. The whole thing was bloody painful to watch.

Cadel has the personality of a cardboard box. Denton asked some of the most inane rubbish of all time including **** like 'so how tight is your Lycra?' or my personal fav 'so why don't they have moving toilets at 90km/h?'.

The interview offered ZERO insight into his life. Denton couldn't even quote any statistics from the AIS.

What a sad pathetic piece of worthless journalism that did nothing to promote the sport other than to make quirky silly child like jokes and raise the issue of drugs...again.

I'm angry because I have seen Denton commit to doing good journalism in the past. This was a big smelly piece of **** by him.

existence said:
One of the worst peices of journalism I have ever come across in my life. Denton did ZERO homework. The whole thing was bloody painful to watch.

Cadel has the personality of a cardboard box. Denton asked some of the most inane rubbish of all time including **** like 'so how tight is your lycra?' or my personal fav 'so why dont they have moving toilets at 90khm?'.

The interview offered ZERO insight into his life. Denton couldnt even quote any statistics from the AIS.

What a sad pathetic peice of worthless journalism that did nothing to promote the sport other than to make quirky silly child like jokes and raise the issue of drugs...again.

I'm angry because I have seen Denton commit to doing good journalism in the past. This was a big smelly peice of **** by him.
But what do you really think?:D

existence said:
One of the worst peices of journalism I have ever come across in my life. Denton did ZERO homework. The whole thing was bloody painful to watch.

Cadel has the personality of a cardboard box. Denton asked some of the most inane rubbish of all time including **** like 'so how tight is your lycra?' or my personal fav 'so why dont they have moving toilets at 90khm?'.

The interview offered ZERO insight into his life. Denton couldnt even quote any statistics from the AIS.

What a sad pathetic peice of worthless journalism that did nothing to promote the sport other than to make quirky silly child like jokes and raise the issue of drugs...again.

I'm angry because I have seen Denton commit to doing good journalism in the past. This was a big smelly peice of **** by him.
HAHA...If Cadel is on anything its goddam weed. It was a little boring, I was just star struck.

existence said:

Cadel has the personality of a cardboard box. Denton asked some of the most inane rubbish of all time including **** like 'so how tight is your lycra?' or my personal fav 'so why dont they have moving toilets at 90km/h?'.

That pretty much sums it up. I've seen better interviews on 'Rove' or 'Simon Townshends Wonder World' - and that was with his dog Woodrow doing the interview.

Denton is interviewing Suzy Maroney and its not much better. He's waaaayy off his game tonight. Needs to dig up Rene Rivkin or get Chopper in to improve the show IMO.

Not exactly riveting viewing but I reckon Cadel would be a hard interview to do regardless of your research.

EDIT: And Cadel does look like an escapee from the Thunderbirds

Yeah I gotta say that was pretty ordinary. Not sure it was Cadels wooden performance, or Andrew's silly questions, but what a lost opportunity to highlight the greatest Australian cycling achievement of all time. Oh well...

PS: Susie's interview was a lot more riveting, that girl's as tough as nails.

PPS: I think the Thunderbird look (very apt description BTW) may have been due to the less than complimentary camera angle, the boy does have a firm jaw though.

Cadel is Cadel i was pleasantly surprised ...does anybody remember Martin Vinnicombe interviews back in the 80's or god help us his Sale of the Century performance then it was embarrasing to be a cyclist!

I was just imagining what babies those two athletes Cadel & Suzie could make together, real 'Boys from Brazil' stuff :D

Wilchemy said:
Not exactly riveting viewing but I reckon Cadel would be a hard interview to do regardless of your research.
yeah, who ya reckon would be wosre, Evans or Rogers? :p

classic1 said:
I've seen better interviews on 'Rove'.
is that possible? :p Gord, what **** Rove is! I tried to watch that bit he did in America with Sandler, but it was too embarrassing, especially after the interview when Sandler and the other guy had to sit on the couch with the other dickheads.

classic1 said:
Needs to dig up Rene Rivkin or get Chopper in to improve the show
That was Chopper's defining moment, I reckon. He showed some brains and dignity that I never woulda guessed he had.

Da man is a cycling machine. Emotion just wasn't part of the machine language. :D

classic1 said:
That pretty much sums it up. I've seen better interviews on 'Rove' or 'Simon Townshends Wonder World' - and that was with his dog Woodrow doing the interview.

Denton is interviewing Suzy Maroney and its not much better. He's waaaayy off his game tonight. Needs to dig up Rene Rivkin or get Chopper in to improve the show IMO.
what happened to the dog on Wonder World. Did not in cark it?

is there a chance Denton did some digging and found not a particularly interesting story? :)

Also, Evans wasn't very forthcoming on the 'good' stuff. Denton tried to get into his 'dispair' surrounding his 'darkest hour' when he busted his collar bone 23 times in one season, and he also tried to probe him about T-Mobile stuffing him 'round for 2 years, but Evans gave him nothing -- he just gave trite, one sentence relpies, like, "ah well, let's just say it was no good"

i have only seen Cadel on TV a few times, usually on SBS after a Tour stage, and he seems to choose his words very very carefully...as if he's not talking from the heart. Maybe he just doesnt want to be misinterpreted or misunderstood, but it does look boring.... maybe he just needs an interviewer who can actually ask interesting questions, someone with a personality... not Denton, Liz Hayes, or Mike Tomalaris....wonder how Cadel would go with Andrew Olle of Cycling Sooty Park? or Annabelle from the same show...i was disappointed as I looked forward to this interview and got nuthin out of it.

531Aussie said:
Also, Evans wasn't very forthcoming on the 'good' stuff. Denton tried to get into his 'dispair' surrounding his 'darkest hour' when he busted his collar bone 23 times in one season, and he also tried to probe him about T-Mobile stuffing him 'round for 2 years, but Evans gave him nothing -- he just gave trite, one sentence relpies, like, "ah well, let's just say it was no good"
I think that's what made the interview somewhat boring. None of those juicy sensations. Even the grandma and mother were somewhat mute. Evans would make a very good witness in a cross examination though. Gives nothing away to the opposing attorney.

Denton should have interviewed his wife Chiara instead. Much more lively and probably have a lot more stories to tell.

I forgot to add that Evans also looked like someone who'd done 7,000 interviews, and didn't wanna do any more

531Aussie said:
is there a chance Denton did some digging and found not a particularly interesting story? :)

they could have asked Ed, and the VIS team circa 95, and compared it to the perception surrounding his European persona, which is, diplomatically described as difficult, and arrogant.

I did not watch the interview. I did not want to see any platitudes on Contador and Rasmussen etc. Fair enough, that is the way they have to play it, down the line.

I also think he might be more forthcoming now, than in 06, and definitely more forthcoming off camera. Especially to someone who knows the sport. It cannot be easy when all but a few thousand Australians understand the sport, we have Mike Tomalaris and Liggett to thank for their poor education of Australian viewers. After 12 years on SBS, weeken viewers should have the rudimentary understanding of tactics 101. But no, all we get is Toma banging on about Evans not attacking, without understanding one can rarely attack a strong GC leader who has a strong team, and especially not a pure climber, who is the strongest in the race and doped up to the gills.

GC attacking not = stage hunting attacking Mike T: from the book of Jobe cycling 101.

Thought the interview was a little boring, but watched it anyway. Cadel looked a bit worn out. (Understandable - he's worked hard.)

His responses were quite short and lacked emotion of any kind really. Just wondering if Cadel could actually see Andrew during the interview. Listening to questions through an earpiece is offputting enough without being unable to see the person who is doing the interview. His responses may have seemed quite bland, but he may have been under instruction from team/personal manager to be very diplomatic. When it's all said and done, Cadel is an high perfomance athlete, not a TV personality.

Eagle of Toledo said:
Yeah I gotta say that was pretty ordinary. Not sure it was Cadels wooden performance, or Andrew's silly questions, but what a lost opportunity to highlight the greatest Australian cycling achievement of all time. Oh well...

PS: Susie's interview was a lot more riveting, that girl's as tough as nails.

PPS: I think the Thunderbird look (very apt description BTW) may have been due to the less than complimentary camera angle, the boy does have a firm jaw though.

Denton is just so patronising and insulting. The "how to you pee at 90km/h" question is just daft (as Denton is in toto). As if anybody needs to know -- REALLY!! :mad:

The jarrah-jawed 'Good Evans' was probably still "jet lagged" from hurtling around France for 3 weeks; he certainly wasn't very animated. The more human and touching piece was his wife popping in at bottom right. I like that, but nothing else about the interview.