Cadel - the pity party

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by serpico7, Jul 26, 2008.

1. serpico7

serpico7 New Member

Damn, that is one ugly chin. Even though he was a total bitch off the bike, he is one tough dude on the bike.

2. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Yes I take my chapeau off to him. He was one of the most consistent rider in this years tour and deserved to be so close.

However.... he does more wheelsucking of any major contendor of any tour ever, doesnt seem to take responsibility for whats going on in a chase group, and NEVER attacks.

Not the traits of someone I want to see winning the tour.

Very glad for Sastre. He probably only won this year because of some stupid stupid tactics by Evans on one stage. But has been unfailingly consistent over many years in many GTs.

3. earth_dweller

earth_dweller New Member

shit, I can't kick a man when he's done. I'm moving over to the Sastre winner party.

4. thoughtforfood

thoughtforfood New Member

Oh no no no, that is precisely when you kick someone. Much less chance of getting slapped or headbutted.

5. FriendlyFred

FriendlyFred New Member

I recognize that Evans rides to his 'strengths' but I just can't promote someone as a champion who never attacks and who doesn't win at least one stage of the tour. Sastre paid for his win with his ride on Wednesday. Besides that, it's obvious from his off the bike antics and his showing in the TT that Evans can't handle pressure. I'm no big fan of Sastre, but he came through under pressure and Evans didn't, that's what it comes down to.

6. Thylacine

Thylacine Member

How long have you been watching bike racing for. Geez. Evens is a deserved champion to anyone with a broader view. Look at what he's gone through to get where he is and what he's achieved, both on and offroad.

I predicted a Sastre win and I think he's deserving. Sad for Cadel, but I don't give a shit about his personality or percieved 'antics' that you monkeys have decided is enough to satiate your desire to character assasinate anyone you don't like. He just wasn't as strong in the third week of the tour. Look back at the L'Alpe D'Huez stage in retrospect and you can see how shagged he is.

Kudos to Sastre, a good win.

7. Hitchy

Hitchy New Member

+ 1 gazillion...cadel did his best, & tactically rode the only way he could that would give him any chance of winning the tour...it didn't work out, but a fine effort...I'm tipping there's no-one amongest the cadel haters here who's cycling achievements would approach what he has achieved & will continue to achieve. Mucho Kudos to Sastre & CSC, a great win

8. Grater

Grater New Member

Hopefully Cadel now realises that you could follow wheels and dominate a time trial 20 years ago. But this day and age, it's different. That method doesn't work.

He should have attacked on the Alp and taken a risk and should have taken more risks this tour. Riding like that nowadays will not win you a Tour de France with everyone else coming through who have attacking mindsets. A defensive mindset won't win you the tour. I have been saying it for a long time and it's been proven right for a second year in a row.

I said to someone last week that it didn't work for him last year. Why would it work for him now? He needs to take the race by it's horns and take risks. That's how you win the Tour and that's how Sastre did it.

As I say, this defensive crap worked many years ago. But nowadays it doesn't. Cadel should realise that now and change the way he rides or he will continue to be a bridesmaid.

9. Eldron

Eldron New Member

+1

I think Sastre is a deserving winner. If Cadel takes anything from this tour it should be: "He who dares - wins!".

That said (and I have bashed him horribley) - Cadel did earn my respect - not my admiration of approval but he hung tough in the moutains without a team and slowly dieselled his way back everytime the explosive riders jumped him.

Hopefully his second consecutive second will make him angry/motivated/disappointed enough to realise that he needs to add "attacking" to his mental and/or physical arsenal.

Fair dues though - there aren't that many people (apart from Jan :D :D ) that have placed second in the Tour. Twice!

10. Cobblestones

Cobblestones New Member

J. Zoetemelk, R. Poulidor

11. RdBiker

RdBiker New Member

Maybe Cadel just didn't have enough power to attack after Sastre on the Alpe. If you look at the cyclismag article linked at another thread here about estimated power on the Alp stages you can see that Cadel rode every mountain with a little over 400 Watts. 410 on Hautacam and 403 on the Alpe. Now Sastre produced 430 Watts for the whole climb and IIRC 450 Watts on the first twenty minutes. So maybe Cadel just couldn't go any faster. Btw the article compares Sastre's performance to those of Piepoli and Cobo on Hautacam.

12. FriendlyFred

FriendlyFred New Member

Wow, don't take it personally that people may not love Cadel and his 'antics.' If you call slapping at, punching at, and yelling at people around him 'antics.' I may not be the professional race watcher that you obviously are, but in my book defensive riding with no attacking and never trying to win a stage AREN'T the stuff champions are made of. Good on Cadel for coming second and good on Sastre for winning the tour with his attack on Alp d'Huez. Personally, it doesn't look like Cadel Evans handles pressure well and it also looks like his very heavy race schedule over the past year also contributed to his finish in the Tour.

13. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

It seems like a climber who is going to try and hang on in the TT's (Sastre, Contador) is going to capture fans' hearts much more than a TT'er who tries to hang on in the climbs (Evans). Obviously someone who can dominate TTs and dominate as a climber has no worries capturing hearts.

Am I right to understand that you only attack when you have the superior climbing legs (power/weight)? Am I missing something here? AFAIK... You don't have inferior legs on a climb...attack...get a gap... and leave your superior climbing opponents for dead.

Do people honestly think that Cadel finishes mountain stages with energy to burn that he could have used to attack and win? Has anyone here raced a bike up a hill?

If you want to make the TdF more of a climbers race... cause you think that climbing stages and attacking climbers are real exciting to watch and TT's are real boring... then they need to do what the Giro does and make one of the TT's uphill. Then you guys would get your climbing/attacking spectacle and the most attacking climber would probably win. Not necessarily the best alround rider. But perhaps the best climber. In fact take out all the TT's and flat stages... and just make it 21 climbing stages. Maybe throw in some flat stages to give them a rest.

14. wicklow200

wicklow200 New Member

Whichever way you interpret CE's performance doesn't compensate for the reality that he doesnt attack.

On its own, "not attacking", is not the worst thing to say about a pro.

But he just doesnt do his share of the work to justify the amount of cooperation he expects. And combine this with never attacking himself, well I expect his idea of a grand tour is 19 stages where the peleton arrives at the finish together and one ITT stage.

There have been numerous occasions when he has turned around to his fellow riders and thrown his hands in the air, expecting they come to the front and work when he has the most to gain from such activity.

This usually comes after he has sat in well for an age, getting the benefit of the draft, and then when an attack comes, he makes chase for 20 metres, and proceeds to go purple-faced tring to get the others to come through

It didnt happen that much in this Tour but happened quite a few times in the recent DL.

15. earth_dweller

earth_dweller New Member

You know Cranky, it's okay for you to say that you like Evans as a rider and that you are a fan, you don't need to justify it.

the same way that I can say that I am not a fan of his and haven't been for years.

16. bktx1

bktx1 New Member

There is no shame in finishing second in the Tour de France. To finish second, with a lackluster team and immense pressure, is still a very worthy performance. And he did twice in a row, cleanly, as far as we know.

Kudos to Sastre and his team for putting it all together this fortnight.

17. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

I don't particularly "like" him as a rider. I respect him as a rider. Don't really respect his media antics. Don't really know him. Hoped he might win just because he was an Aussie.

I just like to point out shit if I can. I get it wrong sometimes. But it gives me forum jollies. Like the jollies some people on this forum get being hatemongers...you know...making fun of Bruyneel's wife etc. The sort of behavior you can only get away with hiding behind an anonymous username.

18. ProfTournesol

ProfTournesol New Member

you just don't win because of your 'mentality'. That's the sort of advertising spin used by Nike et al and by sportspeople who use that 'little bit extra' to help them win. Cadel like all the other riders has his strengths and his weaknesses as a rider and has to ride to them to the best of his abilities. You can't blame him for doing that. It may not be as 'attractive' as Ricco or Pantani but he's more of an Idurain style of Tour rider. He's really with the wrong team if he wants to win though. Lotto would have been better supporting McEwen this year and they may have got some stage wins without really changing Cadel's overall competitiveness.

19. Crankyfeet

Crankyfeet New Member

Yes... every betting house in the world had him down as the tour favorite prior to race start... but you knew better.

20. stevebaby

stevebaby New Member

It worked for Sastre.