Cadel - the pity party

Crankyfeet said:
I am a friend of the gecko who is supposed to be Geico's mascot... and let's just say that Gecko doesn't get along too well with the cavemen. Geico is really undermining his contracted mascot status by airing a lot of these caveman commercials. And the cavemen are so brown-nosing Geico's Head of Marketing.
The lizard sucks. Cavemen rock....but not the TV show. Only the commercials.

fscyclist said:
The lizard sucks. Cavemen rock....but not the TV show. Only the commercials.
Yeah I agree... the gecko/Geico thing probably originally sounded like a good idea... but it has fizzled. They should just completely ditch it and focus on the cavemen IMO. It's one of the biggest ad concepts to develop a life of its own ever, and they just dilute it by retaining the stupid gecko...

But of course it's probably politics... the Head of Marketing was the probably the chief champion of the gecko idea and he doesn't want it to die. Just guessing.

nns1400 said:
OMG...they are hysterical... I think I've even posted this before...

http://www.cavemanscrib.com/
I love the new dancing caveman series, but I still crack up every time I see the one where he is in the airport with the wooden tennis racket on the escalator thingy passing the billboard. I also love the one at the psychiatrist...."What's your name?.....He doesn't say anything because he's a doll." Marketing genius. "I learned this one in Prague." Don't ask me why but that absolutely cracks me up.

Crankyfeet said:
Why can't he attack more in the race instead of with reporters and at parties?

because he doesn't have a single fast twitch fibre in his body probably. It just isn't his physiology, al least not without the chemical help of Pantani, Ulrich and almost certainly Armstrong. It isn't exciting but i don't see why you can't forgive him for playing to his strengths. We can't have 180 Pantanis racing

Crankyfeet said:
That's good. You should be able to understand my arguments about integrity then.
if you read his explanation, it's pretty clear why he said what he said, and why he then said something different. Are you suggesting that he was deliberately lying all along? Do you have any evidence? If so, I'll be happy to agree with you.

Crankyfeet said:
Why can't he attack more in the race instead of with reporters and at parties?
ProfTournesol said:
if you read his explanation, it's pretty clear why he said what he said, and why he then said something different. Are you suggesting that he was deliberately lying all along? Do you have any evidence? If so, I'll be happy to agree with you.
I said that as a joke after the news first broke. It was the antithesis of my viewpoint at that stage. That's why it was a joke to those who had been in the forum long enough to know my views. Read my post here to get a true sample of my arguments in this thread. Here's some more in other threads.... Reasons to dislike Evans 1, 2

I am laughing that you are defending Cadel against me when I spent three weeks defending Cadel in this forum....
biggrin.gif

Post edit - had to reconfigure those links I posted erroneously first up.

ProfTournesol said:
I hadn't read your quoted article. I had just been following the news chronologically... saw the rumour... then saw Evans and Cycling Australia say that it was "just rumours" (see the July 30th article from cyclingnews I posted above). I suppose if you want to split hairs... they maybe didn't literally lie... but "just" a rumour implies there is no fact to back it up. So I interpreted that as being he didn't have any injury.

Crankyfeet said:
I said that as a joke after the news first broke. It was the antithesis of my viewpoint at that stage. That's why it was a joke to those who had been in the forum long enough to know my views. Read my post here to get a true sample of my arguments in this thread. Here's some more in other threads.... Reasons to dislike Evans 1, 2

I am laughing that you are defending Cadel against me when I spent three weeks defending Cadel in this forum....
biggrin.gif

yeah, funny how we all end up arguing around in circles isn't it:)
I think we all like to introject aspects of our heroes into ourselves and so get distressed when they don't act ideally. Cadel seems a pretty good ambassador for cycling most of the time but he doesn't always get it right, especially in the heat of the moment. He's a quantum leap over spoilt narcissistic brats like Ricco though.

Crankyfeet said:
I hadn't read your quoted article. I had just been following the news chronologically... saw the rumour... then saw Evans and Cycling Australia say that it was "just rumours" (see the July 30th article from cyclingnews I posted above). I suppose if you want to split hairs... they maybe didn't literally lie... but "just" a rumour implies there is no fact to back it up. So I nterpreted that as being he didn't have any injury.
I guess neither of us are in a position to 'know'. We only can read what was reported, not necessarily what was said.

ProfTournesol said:
yeah, funny how we all end up arguing around in circles isn't it:)
Not necessarily circles based on the same information though. This incident happened after the TdF.

I place less importance on personality quirks... like the way Cadel handled pressure in his reactions with the press during the race... than I do about spin control type statements that I interpreted here. Probably because I see cycling in a state of low integrity, and I don't like the flip-flopping stories from a leading cyclist. As to whether any deceit really occurred... it is more vague with the CN story you presented.

mitosis said:
Let me summarise for you because although we are not talking brain cells you don't seem to have many to work with:

Evans hurt his knee, initially thought it wasn't much of an injury - but after a day or so it was still giving him grief - enough to make him realise he probably should pull out of the time trial so that the best person on the day could be riding, and Mick Rogers is not a bad replacement.

How you can twist that around to suggest that he lied or conclude that he lacks integrity amazes me. You must really hate the guy!
Um...because he said the rumour about him having a knee injury was "just a rumour".

And nice personal slight with the brain cell reference. It makes me chuckle. Just draw a target on your forehead.... :D

Post edit - oh I see you've deleted your message. Care to explain?

Crankyfeet said:
Um...because he said the rumour about him having a knee injury was "just a rumour".

And nice personal slight with the brain cell reference. It makes me chuckle. Just draw a target on your forehead.... :D

Post edit - oh I see you've deleted your message. Care to explain?
Yeah, I'm a little touchy about unfair criticism of him and hadn't read your further posts to the prof where you kissed and made up.

Just a rumour to me means he was just trying to play it down.

mitosis said:
Yeah, I'm a little touchy about unfair criticism of him and hadn't read your further posts to the prof where you kissed and made up.
I want to get this straight because it's really important to me. Did Evans state "It's just a rumour" when asked if his knee was injured from a dancing slip? Did Cycling Australia also confirm this story? Is this a situation where he gave the statement before the injury blew up... thinking he wasn't injured? I mean... the rumours started because people said they saw him limping around at the party.

I've had three knee surgeries myself due to sports knee injury. I've had ligament and cartilage damage. It's hard to imagine hobbling around with an injury that can later cause swelling in the knee capsule... and not be aware you're injured.

Crankyfeet said:
I want to get this straight because it's really important to me. Did Evans state "It's just a rumour" when asked if his knee was injured from a dancing slip? Did Cycling Australia also confirm this story? Is this a situation where he gave the statement before the injury blew up... thinking he wasn't injured? I mean... the rumours started because people said they saw him limping around at the party.

I've had three knee surgeries myself due to sports knee injury. I've had ligament and cartilage damage. It's hard to imagine hobbling around with an injury that can later cause swelling in the knee capsule... and not be aware you're injured.

I think he didn't realise how bad the injury was so was trying to play it down initially. When he realised it was serious he pulled out of racing to recover and to give Mick Rogers time to prepare mentally (hopefully he is physically fit) for the TT.

mitosis said:

Just a rumour to me means he was just trying to play it down.
Yeah this is the part I don't like. Because I can see some motivation to play it down... but it doesn't seem to be a strong one... just a wish to have the media off your back I suppose. But to me it displays a willingness to disrespect the truth...for short term expediency. I'm maybe making a mountain out of a mole hill... for want of a better phrase.

I am an Aussie (though classic1 doesn't think so). I'd like to think that Cadel was clean. I think the odds of that are very slim... given his background (teams)... and his ability to keep up with other dopers. But when I see signs of spin control...it doesn't inspire me with confidence that he has what it takes to say "no" to dope or be honest about his doping/being clean. Just MHO. I am open to being wrong of course... and I am hoping that I am wrong.

Crankyfeet said:
Yeah this is the part I don't like. Because I can see some motivation to play it down... but it doesn't seem to be a strong one... just a wish to have the media off your back I suppose. But to me it displays a willingness to disrespect the truth...for short term expediency. I'm maybe making a mountain out of a mole hill... for want of a better phrase.

I am an Aussie (though classic1 doesn't think so). I'd like to think that Cadel was clean. I think the odds of that are very slim... given his background (teams)... and his ability to keep up with other dopers. But when I see signs of spin control...it doesn't inspire me with confidence that he has what it takes to say "no" to dope or be honest about his doping/being clean. Just MHO. I am open to being wrong of course... and I am hoping that I am wrong.

The motivation for dismissing the severity of the injury could be for several reasons; he was hoping that it wasn't bad for his own sake, he didn't want his oponents to think he was weaker than his best (maybe attacking him with less fear), he didn't want to let down people who wanted to see him race, and maybe other reasons too...

And he was telling the truth, as far as he knew it at the time. I don't think its spin, its a matter of answering pestering journalists, to the best of your knowledge at the time.

mitosis said:
And he was telling the truth, as far as he knew it at the time. I don't think its spin, its a matter of answering pestering journalists, to the best of your knowledge at the time.
Exactly. A professional athlete knows a ****le isnt an injury. The ones I know think along those lines. Especially Australian ones. If you believe you have a ****le of no concesquence and are subsquently asked if the rumour of an injury is true the correct answer is "No".

Secondly the press pack have to earn their respect in this world like anyone else. The immediate health condition of an athlete is the explicit concern of himself his medical team and his family. Cadel doesnt have to say **** to anyone else beyond that sphere.

It shows a chronic lack of understanding about the Australian sporting psyche to infer that an athlete attempting to hide information of an injury from the public domain by extention draws into question their integrity as a person.

Ofcourse you are free to carry on with your Dr. Phil psychobabble. But am free to remind you just how ****ing **** it is...

My advice to you Crackyfeet would be to get your **** home asap and rediscover your culture or farken hand in your passport cos your seppo runs too deep.

fscyclist said:
I love the new dancing caveman series, but I still crack up every time I see the one where he is in the airport with the wooden tennis racket on the escalator thingy passing the billboard. I also love the one at the psychiatrist...."What's your name?.....He doesn't say anything because he's a doll." Marketing genius. "I learned this one in Prague." Don't ask me why but that absolutely cracks me up.
"Yeah? Well, I'm looking at it right now..."

One that didn't get played as much was the one at the party where one of them is trying to explain he's not a traitor because he HAS Geico...and at the end the one guy runs out on the deck and says "Tracy's here! We're getting back together!!" That one kills me...