cadence on cycle-computer reading wrong....

Y

Yuri Budilov

Hi all

I have a ~6 weeks old ECHO-F2 cycle-computer, the one with cadence on my Trek 1000 road bike (2004).
It was working fine for 5 weeks and several hundred miles..... All of a sudden last week the cadence
function has gone off-this-planet. The other functions seem to still work fine.

The cadence appears to be reading double. I.e if I feel like I am doing ~80rpm it shows me ~160rpm.
When I feel like I am doing ~100 rpm it shows near zero cadence (I presume it tops out cadence at
200 rpm?).....

Any thoughts what it may be? Perhaps there are some known issues with this computer or with cadence
function in general that I can tell my bicycle shop which sold and installed it? They lubricated the
contacts but it did not help.

To make it worse - at lower cadence it seems to be reading correctly most of the time (all of the
time?) i.e. at 20-30-40 rpm seems fine, once I climb into 70+ it seems to go all weird on me.

It is not a wireless computer, as far as I can tell, it is rather inexpensive one....

thanks in advance!
--
Yuri

Suppose the sensor is a reed-relais that's bounces when the cadence magnet is passing a lilte bit
too fast. Instead of giving a one shot pulse there are 2 of more pulses. You may try an other magnet
or change its position first (not only closer but also turn around and try lower of higher position.
Maybe you can change the position ot the reed relais by turning the sensor 180 degrees.

Ton

"Yuri Budilov" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nEg_b.72133$Wa.67869@news-
server.bigpond.net.au...
> Hi all
>
> I have a ~6 weeks old ECHO-F2 cycle-computer, the one with cadence on my Trek 1000 road bike
> (2004). It was working fine for 5 weeks and several hundred miles..... All of a sudden last week
> the cadence function has gone off-this-planet.
The
> other functions seem to still work fine.
>
> The cadence appears to be reading double. I.e if I feel like I am doing ~80rpm it shows me
> ~160rpm. When I feel like I am doing ~100 rpm it shows near zero cadence (I presume it tops out
> cadence at 200 rpm?).....
>
> Any thoughts what it may be? Perhaps there are some known issues with this computer or with
> cadence function in general that I can tell my bicycle
shop
> which sold and installed it? They lubricated the contacts but it did not help.
>
> To make it worse - at lower cadence it seems to be reading correctly most
of
> the time (all of the time?) i.e. at 20-30-40 rpm seems fine, once I climb into 70+ it seems to go
> all weird on me.
>
> It is not a wireless computer, as far as I can tell, it is rather inexpensive one....
>
> thanks in advance!
> --
> Yuri

thanks

I moved the magnet just a few mm sideways away from the main sensor and it seems to have cured the
problem.....

"TonV" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Suppose the sensor is a reed-relais that's bounces when the cadence magnet is passing a lilte bit
> too fast. Instead of giving a one shot pulse there are 2 of more pulses. You may try an other
> magnet or change its position first (not only closer but also turn around and try lower of higher
> position. Maybe you can change the position ot the reed relais by turning the sensor 180 degrees.
>
> Ton
>
>
> "Yuri Budilov" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:nEg_b.72133$Wa.67869@news-
> server.bigpond.net.au...
> > Hi all
> >
> > I have a ~6 weeks old ECHO-F2 cycle-computer, the one with cadence on my Trek 1000 road bike
> > (2004). It was working fine for 5 weeks and several hundred miles..... All of a sudden last week
> > the cadence function has gone off-this-planet.
> The
> > other functions seem to still work fine.
> >
> > The cadence appears to be reading double. I.e if I feel like I am doing ~80rpm it shows me
> > ~160rpm. When I feel like I am doing ~100 rpm it
shows
> > near zero cadence (I presume it tops out cadence at 200 rpm?).....
> >
> > Any thoughts what it may be? Perhaps there are some known issues with
this
> > computer or with cadence function in general that I can tell my bicycle
> shop
> > which sold and installed it? They lubricated the contacts but it did not help.
> >
> > To make it worse - at lower cadence it seems to be reading correctly
most
> of
> > the time (all of the time?) i.e. at 20-30-40 rpm seems fine, once I
climb
> > into 70+ it seems to go all weird on me.
> >
> > It is not a wireless computer, as far as I can tell, it is rather inexpensive one....
> >
> > thanks in advance!
> > --
> > Yuri
> >
>