Cadence sensor for Polar CS100? Also software update?

Strid

Sep 28, 2006
Hello, I'm the proud owner of a Polar CS100 cycling computer.

If I buy a Polar cadence sensor will it work "out of the box" when I install it on the bike? I bought the computer earlier this year and the lady salesman told me, that I had to buy a CS200 if I ever wanted to use a cadence sensor, but I went for the CS100 and saved some dough. But from what I read, the wireless cadence sensor also works with CS100, right?

Also, I heard from one guy, that it's possible to update the software on the CS100, so it doesn't have as much 'lag' in the speed display. Right now I can accelerate from 0 - 40 km/t and the only speeds it displays are ~9 km/h, 26 km/h and then after perhaps 10 seconds, it shows the true speed 40 which I hit lots of meters ago. I looked at the Polar website but I wasn't too successful. Any suggestion?

Cheers!
Strid :)

The CS cadence sensor will work out of the box..

It is not possible to update the sw. The sampling for speed/cadence is around 5 seconds. If there is that much of a lag you have a problem with the install. Make sure the receiver is mounted on the same side of the bike as the sensor. Make sure the sensor is as close to the break as possible. Use a better magnet if needed. the one that comes in the box is pretty weak

impakt said:
The CS cadence sensor will work out of the box..

It is not possible to update the sw. The sampling for speed/cadence is around 5 seconds. If there is that much of a lag you have a problem with the install. Make sure the receiver is mounted on the same side of the bike as the sensor. Make sure the sensor is as close to the break as possible. Use a better magnet if needed. the one that comes in the box is pretty weak

Thanks!

The so sometimes cuts out aswell, but not too often after I moved the sensor as high as I could fit it (a couple of cm below the brake arms). Still not too often is not as reliable as I want it to be! :)

I'll get a new magnet when I buy the cadence sensor.

What are your front forks made of? Carbon alot of times reduces the signal output of alot of wireless computers.

out of curiousity,do you have it mounted on the left or right hand fork? what part of the sensor is the magnet passing?how far away from the magnet? what side of the bike is the computer mounted if mounted on the bars?. If mounted on the stem what kind of stem do you have? What is the stem made out of? Let me know

Both computer and sensor are mounted on the right side of the bike. The only thing that really blocks the direct path is the brake mechanism. The mounting bracket is made so it has ½ of the computer sticking out over the handlebars, so there's the handlebars don't block too much of the path. Front fork is alloy (I guess aluminum) and so is the handlebar aswell as the stem.

There is like 2 mm between the sensor and the magnet by the way. I think the problem may be that I have flat spokes, and the magnet isn't rotated outwards, so I have to rotate the sensor inwards, the magnet doesn't pass by the side of the sensor, but only the 'tip' of the sensor, perhaps. It rotated about 45 degrees inwards. Haven't thought about that yet.

I'm going to buy a magnet today with the cadence sensor and see if that helps. Wonder if I can get a Neodymium rare earth magnet type of magnet.