Cadence Sensor-Polar s720i

DEM

Jun 5, 2004
Help! I have a s720i. I bought a cadence sensor thing for it, installed it, and despite all my efforts (w in 2 ft 4 inches of monitor, cadence turned "on", moving it to a different location on the bike, etc.) it still doesn't work!

The little orange light on the sensor goes lights up telling me it's sensing the magnet, but the readout remains "00" Please help!!!!

DEM said:
Help! I have a s720i. I bought a cadence sensor thing for it, installed it, and despite all my efforts (w in 2 ft 4 inches of monitor, cadence turned "on", moving it to a different location on the bike, etc.) it still doesn't work!

The little orange light on the sensor goes lights up telling me it's sensing the magnet, but the readout remains "00" Please help!!!!

Did you turn Cadence feature on? Options, Bike, Cadence, on.

Try holding the hrm in your hand as you ride and move it closer to the sensor. Maybe it's a distance problem, I read that in another post.

Lou.

Thanks. Yes, I did.

Actually it works now. Despite the horrible documentation from Polar.

Polar sent me an email that described how to fix this. Despite the fact that the sensor was less then 80 cm from the monitor, I had to open the sensor, and re-set it to "110 cm" setting. Polar, of course, wants me to send the monitor back to them so then can make sure I put it together correctly. And wait 3-6 weeks.

Thanks for the response though.

Weisse Luft said:
Did you turn Cadence feature on? Options, Bike, Cadence, on.

I have the same problem!!!

How do you set re-set the sensor?

Thanks

DEM said:
Polar sent me an email that described how to fix this. Despite the fact that the sensor was less then 80 cm from the monitor, I had to open the sensor, and re-set it to "110 cm" setting.

spotcom said:
I have the same problem!!!

How do you set re-set the sensor?

Thanks

Take the sensor/transmitter off the bike. Open with a Phillips screwdriver (small) and note the jumper position. Swap the jumper to the other pair of pins. Carefully reassemble and test.

There are more detailed instructions on the Australian web site for Polar.

Thanks!!!

Worked a treat. Should be in the manual, don't you think? It seems like a common problem, according to a few that I've talked to while riding.

Weisse Luft said:
Take the sensor/transmitter off the bike. Open with a Phillips screwdriver (small) and note the jumper position. Swap the jumper to the other pair of pins. Carefully reassemble and test.

There are more detailed instructions on the Australian web site for Polar.

spotcom said:
Thanks!!!

Worked a treat. Should be in the manual, don't you think? It seems like a common problem, according to a few that I've talked to while riding.

You are welcome! Some people are more mechanically inclined thatn others and from my highly abbreviated procedure, it sounds like you have the touch.

Polar didn't want interference issues so they made the Tx purposly weak, hoping most people would mount the sensor high on the fork. But for cadence sensor, unless you are riding a recumbent, you are "up a gum bush"?

On reassembly, you need to be sure the gasket is seated correctly and you sequentially tighten the screws so as not to extrude it on the high side. Look at the gap around the two halves and if uniform, all should be good.

Thanks for the extra tips. I checked - must have got it right first time, because it all looks nice & snug.

Weisse Luft said:
You are welcome! Some people are more mechanically inclined thatn others and from my highly abbreviated procedure, it sounds like you have the touch.

Polar didn't want interference issues so they made the Tx purposly weak, hoping most people would mount the sensor high on the fork. But for cadence sensor, unless you are riding a recumbent, you are "up a gum bush"?

On reassembly, you need to be sure the gasket is seated correctly and you sequentially tighten the screws so as not to extrude it on the high side. Look at the gap around the two halves and if uniform, all should be good.

On a related subject, has anyone tried to mount the speed sensor on the rear wheel? If so, any luck?

Then the unit would still record speed while the bike is on a trainer.

Randybaker99 said:
On a related subject, has anyone tried to mount the speed sensor on the rear wheel? If so, any luck?

Then the unit would still record speed while the bike is on a trainer.

My indoor bike that I use on the mag trainer has the Polar speed transmitter on my left seat stay, I had to adjust the transmitter range to max to get it to work, has been working this way for 6000km with no problem.

I think that would work fine on your road bike as well. Some guys that I ride with questioned whether putting the transmitter range to max on the cadence sensor would interfere with other riders' gear. So far nobody has complained of this - but maybe this is because while a lot have the speed sensor, not a lot have the cadence sensor.

Interested to know if other riders have noticed interference? (Perhaps hard to spot - if you're riding in a bunch, presumably all are going at the same speed?)

Julian Radowsky said:
My indoor bike that I use on the mag trainer has the Polar speed transmitter on my left seat stay, I had to adjust the transmitter range to max to get it to work, has been working this way for 6000km with no problem.

One of the reasons for me going with the Power Sensor was interference. I got it all the time from people in my group. I didn't reset my sending unit as it would only increase the problem.

The PPS hardwired all sensors to my HRM and now all I have to worry about is mounting the thing correctly. Last night I didn't and ended up with 1:30:00 plus of only heartrate data...I need a light for the HRM as the 720i backlight is useless. It stays on for 5 seconds, much too short for anything but single function reading.

I have mounted the polar speed sensor to the right rear seatstay and it seems to be working pretty well. I didn't change anything, but after reading the above threads maybe i will change it to the further setting. My question is whether or not this will interfere with the cadence sensor? Any thoughts? I figure they are different frequencies so it shouldn't make a difference, and i won't get numbers jumping around with the speed as much as i have been getting. This jumping is happening more with the sensor on the back wheel than when it was on the front wheel, so maybe that has something to do with it.

gregkeller said:
I have mounted the polar speed sensor to the right rear seatstay and it seems to be working pretty well. I didn't change anything, but after reading the above threads maybe i will change it to the further setting. My question is whether or not this will interfere with the cadence sensor? Any thoughts? I figure they are different frequencies so it shouldn't make a difference, and i won't get numbers jumping around with the speed as much as i have been getting. This jumping is happening more with the sensor on the back wheel than when it was on the front wheel, so maybe that has something to do with it.

I don't think it interferes with the cadence sensor - I think you're right in assuming that they're on different frequencies. However... I think you may find that it could interfere with other riders' speed readings, from what some of my friends tell me.

Perhaps if you're not having problems with the speed readings now, it would be best to leave the setting at the default?

Cheers