Cadence specific music

SolarEnergy

Aug 15, 2005
The impact of motivation on training and performance is subject that captivates me.

On the turbo, my motivation comes mainly from music. Without it, I just can't stay in the "hurt box" as long.

What works best for me, are songs that has a beat that matches my cadence. Em I the only one that favors this type of song?

Here are some examples :

Genesis on We Can't Dance
- No Son Of Mine
- Jesus He Knows Me
- Driving The Last Spike (this one is particullary good, feels like you are pulling a pack halfway through the song)
- Dreaming While You Sleep

Metallica on Ride the Lightning
- Creeping Death

ACDC
- Back in Black

If you have some more example of songs @ ~100 bpm, I will appreciate.

Thanks

SolarEnergy said:
Em I the only one that favors this type of song?
Nope, I'm with you there. When I'm suffering through a hard interval, I typically skip songs until I find one that gives me the focus I need to finish. My preferred high-power cadence on the trainer seems to be 90-95, though, so my songs may be a little slower than what you're looking for.

SolarEnergy said:
Metallica on Ride the Lightning
- Creeping Death
That one seems a little fast to me. Orion on Master of Puppets has great drive to it. LIkewise with For Whom the Bell Tolls on Ride the Lightning.

SolarEnergy said:
If you have some more example of songs @ ~100 bpm, I will appreciate.
I suppose the effect is going to be highly dependent on music tastes, but here are a few from my playlist that would fit that description:
Marilyn Manson's beats are great for keeping up the intensity. Rock is Dead and The Fight Song are two staples in my playlist.
Black Sabbath's Mob Rules would fit that cadence.
Judas Priest - You've Got Another Thing Comin'
Cars by Gary Numan (updated and remade by Fear Factory)
Metallica's Breadfan
Rush - YYZ

Thanks a lot Frenchyge, good choices. I will get some of those for sure.

My songs are a bit quick (between 100 and 105 mostly). Creeping Death is 104 if I am not mistaken. For Whom the Bell Tolls is one of my favorite, although completely out of synch in term of cadense.

At 95, you may want to try Fight Fire With Fire! (or is it too heavy?):D

I must be an old fart compared to you metalheads. Here are some good oldies. Think spacing out to '60s psychadelia while your body's tripping on an intense interval.

Neil Young Like a Hurricane
U2 Vertigo (ok its a newer song but an old band)
Bob Dylan Before the Flood album (live with The Band)
Neil Young Cowgirl in the Sand

I'm an Eagles fan, so I've worked out the cadences to most of theirs. My preferences are 100+, so I go for
Hotel California (147)
Already Gone (145)
Take It Easy (142)

But, you might like these
Witchy Woman (105)
On the Border (100)
Best of My Love (93)
Take It to the Limit (90)

Thrash it up!

Testament - Over the Wall

Slayer - Raining Blood

Megadeth - the Conjuring

Annihilator - Alison Hell

Flotsam & Jetsam - Metal Shock

Coroner - Semtex Revolution

RapDaddyo said:
I'm an Eagles fan, so I've worked out the cadences to most of theirs. My preferences are 100+, so I go for
Hotel California (147)
Already Gone (145)
Take It Easy (142)

But, you might like these
Witchy Woman (105)
On the Border (100)
Best of My Love (93)
Take It to the Limit (90)
There is no way - in hell or elsewhere- that Hotel California is 147 bpm or that Take it Easy is 142.

And all that 'guitar' music does not hold the ground for riding hard.

I suggest you look into Trance. Give it a REAL honest try. Go to the store and pick up 'Trance Party Five'. 132 BPM minimum for the music itself but there is so much going on in the music your brain can pick a rythm within the beat that is desirable to you.

That is some real magic music.

Try a player that will alter the speed without changing the pitch, and set your tempo to wherever you want it. You may be surprised by how little tempo change affects your enjoyment of the music.

I like my rides and music hard and fast (well, I am trying hard to go fast ;) )

Enter Sandman Metallica
Cochise Audioslave

Guilty Gravity Kills

Trampled Under Foot Led Zeppelin

Give It Away Red Hot Chili Peppers

Synpax said:
There is no way - in hell or elsewhere- that Hotel California is 147 bpm or that Take it Easy is 142.
Well I have never tried these. But take Hotel California for instance. It is possible that this one is 73 or 74. If you pedal it double speed that may bring you up to 147. IOW, the cadence here shouldn't follow base drum and snare, but hihat rythm instead.

Thanks to you all. I appreciate your suggestions.

SolarEnergy said:
Well I have never tried these. But take Hotel California for instance. It is possible that this one is 73 or 74. If you pedal it double speed that may bring you up to 147. IOW, the cadence here shouldn't follow base drum and snare, but hihat rythm instead.
Yep, you've got it. I don't really care whether my cadence is on the downbeat only or downbeat and upbeat. So long as I can synch it.

I would say Faint by Linkin Park gets me moving the most. A lot of Linkin Park gets me moving. There are also some other bands that get me moving as well such as Nonpoint and Korn.

I tend to dance uphills with Andy Narell's Mpule ... always reminds me of kids skipping wildy though through grassy fields. And it seems to mask my pain!

...and for the tempo challenged, or those that don't want to screw with changing songs, download a Metronome software application to play in the background. Lot's of free ones out there.

LOL thats what I was thinking when I saw that try this http://www.amazon.com/Best-Trance-Vol-Various-Artists/dp/B00016XNE8
10 out of the 15 are good for riding (1,3,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) I haven't rated the other 5 yet. I try to stay in the 90 to 102 rpm range for L4 training.

Synpax said:

And all that 'guitar' music does not hold the ground for riding hard.

I suggest you look into Trance. Give it a REAL honest try. Go to the store and pick up 'Trance Party Five'. 132 BPM minimum for the music itself but there is so much going on in the music your brain can pick a rythm within the beat that is desirable to you.

That is some real magic music.

wiredued said:
LOL thats what I was thinking when I saw that try this http://www.amazon.com/Best-Trance-Vol-Various-Artists/dp/B00016XNE8
10 out of the 15 are good for riding (1,3,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14) I haven't rated the other 5 yet. I try to stay in the 90 to 102 rpm range for L4 training.
I find death metal great if I want some periods at 180bpm+ followed by some slower rest periods.....I do high rpm intervals trying (unsuccessfully) to keep up with Morbid Angel....

i ride with music only in the hills or on the trainer.
either punk rock or classical. throw in a little frank sinatra for good taste.
i like older punk rock, its more true to its roots. right now im currently riding to:
AFI black sails in the sunset, sing the sorrow, art of drowing
the clash - london calling
craigs brother - homecoming
dogwood - matt aragon, dogwood, more than conquerors, building a better me
the sex pistols - never mind the bollocks
classical:
my wifes latest recording (professional pianist)
josh grobans newest- dont know the name of the album kinda rock opera, brilliant for climbing.
mandatory beethoven's 5th
andrea bocelli- dont know what its called, but the album before last