Caffeine and queasiness

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Harold Buck, Jun 11, 2003.

  1. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    I've been experimenting using caffeine for distance events, since I'm doing Ironman Wisconsin in
    September. I've tried 200 mg an hour or so before doing a long bike ride and a half-IM, and I felt
    queasy both times. It was also very hot on both days, so I'd thought maybeit was the heat.

    I did a charity century ride last weekend (Trek 100), and I had about 5 caffeinated Clif shots over
    the course of the first 3 hours of the ride (no other caffeine, and regular Clif shots normally
    don't affect my stomach). That adds up to about 200 mg. I started to feel a little queasy, stopped
    taking the caffeinated ones, and started feeling better an hour or so later.

    Anyone else have this problem?

    I've also recently heard some news stating that maybe caffeine doesn't have the benefits in
    endurance events that's been touted. Does anyone know any details on that?

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

    Tags:

  2. Old Timer

    Old Timer Guest

    Harold, you don't say whether or not your a normal caffeine user, so this might not be worth the
    pixels its displayed on...

    If I wasn't a coffee drinker and I did 5 shots of Clif shot w/ caffeine over a 3 hour period I'd be
    a mile high. As it is, I have at least 3 cups of strong Starbuck's types coffees in the morning and
    one or two more throughout the rest of the day. I definitely do not get the same queasiness you
    described from caffeine.

    We, well when I'm training regularly anyway, meet right after swim practice at a coffee joint before
    going for our long Saturday rides - everyone has caffeine.

    One of the persons I train (like I said, _when_ I train, this year I'm relaxing)in the company of is
    a top pro - we've discussed caffeine at length and she tells me that she waits till she's in the
    final throes of the marathon at Ironman before starting with the cola/caffeine products. Any sooner
    and it messes her up. I know from personal experience that in the late afternoon on long training
    day a clif or power gel shot w/caffeine or a coca cola does wonders to bring me on home - w/ no
    stomach distress.

  3. Bill Wallace

    Bill Wallace Guest

    What he said.

    Caffeine is only valuable to competitors who don't normally use it.

    Getting hyped up on caffeine will make you queasy. Having once been an average coffee\caffeine users
    (don't use anymore) I once started munching on chocolate covered espresso beans. They tasted really
    good and I absent mindedly ate a bunch. Then I realized I just ate enough beans for about 10 cups of
    espresso. I was queasy, jumpy, agetated and didn't sleep (much) that night.

    BW

    [email protected] (Old Timer) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Harold, you don't say whether or not your a normal caffeine user, so this might not be worth the
    > pixels its displayed on...
    >
    > If I wasn't a coffee drinker and I did 5 shots of Clif shot w/ caffeine over a 3 hour period I'd
    > be a mile high. As it is, I have at least 3 cups of strong Starbuck's types coffees in the morning
    > and one or two more throughout the rest of the day. I definitely do not get the same queasiness
    > you described from caffeine.
    >
    > We, well when I'm training regularly anyway, meet right after swim practice at a coffee joint
    > before going for our long Saturday rides - everyone has caffeine.
    >
    > One of the persons I train (like I said, _when_ I train, this year I'm relaxing)in the company of
    > is a top pro - we've discussed caffeine at length and she tells me that she waits till she's in
    > the final throes of the marathon at Ironman before starting with the cola/caffeine products. Any
    > sooner and it messes her up. I know from personal experience that in the late afternoon on long
    > training day a clif or power gel shot w/caffeine or a coca cola does wonders to bring me on home -
    > w/ no stomach distress.

  4. Zac Nesper

    Zac Nesper Guest

    I don't know what the current research says, but I can say that cafeeine saved me at IM Wisconsin
    last year.

    I had 2 double caffeinated power gels over the last half marathon, and I felt a dramatic difference
    once they hit the system (which happened remarkably quickly). I don't drink any coffee, or ingest
    substantial amounts of caffeine otherwise.

    Zac

    "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I've been experimenting using caffeine for distance events, since I'm doing Ironman Wisconsin in
    > September. I've tried 200 mg an hour or so before doing a long bike ride and a half-IM, and I felt
    > queasy both times. It was also very hot on both days, so I'd thought maybeit was the heat.
    >
    > I did a charity century ride last weekend (Trek 100), and I had about 5 caffeinated Clif shots
    > over the course of the first 3 hours of the ride (no other caffeine, and regular Clif shots
    > normally don't affect my stomach). That adds up to about 200 mg. I started to feel a little
    > queasy, stopped taking the caffeinated ones, and started feeling better an hour or so later.
    >
    > Anyone else have this problem?
    >
    > I've also recently heard some news stating that maybe caffeine doesn't have the benefits in
    > endurance events that's been touted. Does anyone know any details on that?
    >
    > --Harold Buck
    >

    > "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    >
    > - Homer J. Simpson

  5. Joaquim

    Joaquim Guest