Caffeine & ephedrine does it helps in training?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by pikus, Apr 7, 2004.

1. mtbjr

mtbjr New Member

i am agenst most pills for energy i stick with drinks found in most gass stations an befor i go out mostley every day i have 3 penguin mintes 3 are the caffeine = to one cola bevrige that helps me V. much in training but dont take to maney my bro who also mtb ate to maney penguin mintes about half a box with about 75 in each he had heart olsers nouthing permint but never ate more then 6 at a time :)

2. BiochemGuy

BiochemGuy New Member

Ephedrine was never banned and it is still available over the counter and is in many over the counter asthma meds. Only the ephedra herb was banned.

I'm not confusing anything. Ephedrine not epinephrine is the active drug found in many over the counter asthma meds such as Bronkaid and Primatene.

3. closesupport

closesupport Banned

einephrine (adrenaline for asthma) Epinephrine or "adrenaline", has been experienced by everyone, during times of anxiety or distress. The powerful effects of adrenaline on strength and speed, in times of need, have been commonly known for years. This "fight or flight" response is caused by a catecholamine hormone, epinephrine, released by the adrenal medulla.

i was prescribed this as a child for anxiety (Nightmares\night terrors) i think you mean't to say proponol fluticasone proprionate (Diproprionate). but nothing really beats altitude training \ decompression chamber to simulate altitude training or even restricting air flow to build up natural levels of Erythropoietin, this http://www.ich.ucl.ac.uk/factsheets/misc/erythropoietin_epo/

4. chisa1234

chisa1234 New Member

i recently got some ECA stack to help with weight loss.

i also cycle each day so i take some before i go out and it gives you a bit of a kick - nothing serious though - don't feel like i could tackle l'alp d'huez.

however, i would recommend against taking them and sitting around as you tend to get "jumpy" as you have all this energy and nothing to do with it.

i noticed that it was on the banned list of the UCI. therefore, i concluded that it must work! i know, stupid logic, but performance enhancement drugs don't get banned unless they improve performance!

i've found it generally ok with a bit of improvement in performance. i don't intend to race so im not too bothered about the banned tag adn i'm basically taking them to help speed up weight loss

5. Roadie_scum

Roadie_scum New Member

Your right. Stupid logic. And not true. (Although ephedrine has some performance enhancing effects many of the drugs on the list don't).

Don't put your health at risk. Just be disciplined with your exercise and nutrition, and watch the weight drop off as you feel healthy and increase your life expectancy rather than reducing it.

6. Hittin

Hittin New Member

Taking 30mg's of Ephedrine will not hurt 99% of men over the age of 18. The ethical issue is another matter but it seems odd people will take Synthetic Caffeine & Creatine but harp on ephedrine. I would venture to say the vast majority of respondents in this thread haven't really studied the effects of ephedrine and are regurgitating what they hear. California along with many other states allows it's use and is Over the Counter (OTC) for buying at your local Rite Aid.

More people die from Tylenol but I am certain the vas majority here have used a synthetic pain killer like Tylenol!

7. swampy1970

swampy1970 Well-Known Member

Damn, I don't think that even God could resurect a thread so old... 6 years dead and dormant and then a technically incorrect answer to boot.

http://info.sen.ca.gov/pub/03-04/bill/sen/sb_0551-0600/sb_582_bill_20030911_enrolled.html

That act prohibits the sale of dietary supplements containing ephedrine unless a California licensed health care practitioner who is practicing within his or her scope of practice and who prescribes or dispenses, or both, dietary supplement products containing ephedrine group alkaloids in the course of the treatment of a patient under the direct care of that licensed health care practitioner,
    except that a licensed health care practitioner shall not prescribe or dispense dietary supplements containing ephedrine group alkaloids for purposes of weight loss, body building, or athletic performance enhancement.

You'll also likely find that even websites that sell pharmacutical products will refuse to ship goods containing ephedrine to Cali.

Now you know why Rite Aid were fined $5million for selling controlled substances and for failing to keep track of sales (pseudoephedrine and ephedrine based products require drivers license swipe and signature at store in Cali)

You might find ephedrine in some basic non-prescription "asthma" medication but it's mixed with a bunch of other stuff that you may not want to take...

8. JSWin

JSWin Member

I don't think this is really good for you. Not much strength and endurance in any of that. It's just a buzz. I would suggest real food. Try eating 10-30 bananas in a shake before. You can even break it up into breakfast and lunch. You will have massive amounts of strength and endurance. A good amount of carbs the night before like potatoes, pasta, or something like this. A large amount is good to do.

9. rcdpink

rcdpink New Member

It's not wise to use it. I know you are using it unofficially, but it still has a negative effect on your health. And everybody knows caffeine ain't good for you. While it improves your alertness and performance, It eventually damages the nervous system of your body.

10. rcdpink

rcdpink New Member

You sound very informed. Thanks for all that info. I would never risk reducing the air in my space in order to in to improve my performance though. It may be logical but it's also dangerous.

11. Vickeree

Vickeree Member

Imho moral and ethical issues aside... taking any kind of dangerous drugs just to enhance performance is stupid i would not sacrifice my health just for a few seconds or minutes saved from my race time... unless a million bucks of prize money is at stake and that tiny edge of a few seconds shaved of your running time ( these drugs would only give you a tiny bit of enhanced performance you still need lots of training )would mean the difference of winning and losing.