Caffeine?

dannyfrankszzz

Mar 8, 2003
I was wondering about caffeine as I drink a fair bit of tea and coffee.

Whilst it's generally perceived that ideally one should not drink much (if any at all), I for one would find it very hard to go without my 3-4 cups/day.

However, recently, when I was seeing a doctor he commented that because I was a cyclist, then I probably don't drink tea and coffee. I was slightly surprised at this observation as he seemed to think it important to observe this practice.

I suppose the logic is that when undertaking intensive cardiovascular training, the 'purer' the blood, the more efficiently the blood will be pumped around the body. So, as the heart rate increases and bloods starts to flow more quickly, toxins (caffeine) will be purged so the blood can do its work more effectively. So, therefore blood without caffeine is better than blood with, right?

Your doctor may have been looking at it a couple of different way. Perhaps he knows that cyclists require optimal hydration and nutrient retention and excess caffeine being a diuretic can dehydrate and strip certain vitamins, minerals and electrolytes. We all know that optimal hydration is key to performance.

He also may be thinking that since caffeine like any stimulant can tax the adrenal glands over time causing adrenal fatigue that will inevitably lead to decreased performance. Caffeine or any stimulant can be detrimental to performance over time if comprehensive adrenal support isn't present in either vitamin or supplemental form.

You may find that if you can cut back to a cup or two per day that over time it pays off in your cycling. The slight withdrawal from the caffeine is short lived and can be lessened by drinking more water and taking a strong B-Complex. If you find you are excessively sluggish then you may want to invest in an adaptogenic herb like ginseng or ashwagandha to further support your adrenals.

vo2maximus said:
Your doctor may have been looking at it a couple of different way. Perhaps he knows that cyclists require optimal hydration and nutrient retention and excess caffeine being a diuretic can dehydrate and strip certain vitamins, minerals and electrolytes. We all know that optimal hydration is key to performance.

He also may be thinking that since caffeine like any stimulant can tax the adrenal glands over time causing adrenal fatigue that will inevitably lead to decreased performance. Caffeine or any stimulant can be detrimental to performance over time if comprehensive adrenal support isn't present in either vitamin or supplemental form.

You may find that if you can cut back to a cup or two per day that over time it pays off in your cycling. The slight withdrawal from the caffeine is short lived and can be lessened by drinking more water and taking a strong B-Complex. If you find you are excessively sluggish then you may want to invest in an adaptogenic herb like ginseng or ashwagandha to further support your adrenals.
So,is coffeine good for cyclist or not?Thanks.

As everything, I would think that it is ok in moderation. A couple of cups of espresso every day are part of my God-given right as an Italian. :D

Powerful Pete said:
As everything, I would think that it is ok in moderation. A couple of cups of espresso every day are part of my God-given right as an Italian. :D
+1 Pete!

FWIW, the role of caffeine as a diuretic is generally overstated. Remember water itself is a diuretic. Check out some of these links:

http://www.ific.org/foodinsight/2002/ja/caffdehydnbfi402.cfm
http://www.divinecaroline.com/article/22178/46361-coffee-makes-dehydrated--say-what-
http://www.beverageinstitute.org/healthcare_professionals/pdf/LayingTheCaffeine-DehydrationMythToRest.pdf

To further complicate things, caffeine has been shown to increase performance in endurance events, so it can actually help a cyclist:

http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/caffeine.html
http://www.vanderbilt.edu/AnS/psychology/health_psychology/caffeine_sports.htm
http://www.sportales.com/Sports/Caffeine-significantly-increases-endurance.112723

But I'm with Pete, a cup of coffee or two is just part of my daily ritual and I'm not cuttin' it out any time soon.

Due cappucini per favore.....

-Dave

Most of the current research is very positive towards coffee and caffeine.

My neighbor is 65 years old, has a hip replacement and drinks between 8-10 cups of strong coffee every day. On Saturday he did the Crater Lake ride. One hundred miles, with 7500 feet of elevation gain. starting elevation was 4200 feet. Not to mention 92 degrees. (Anecdotal I realize, but still)

Frankly, if I didn't have a coffee shop to ride to I wouldn't get nearly as many miles on the bike! Brew, drink, ride, repeat!

I think it depends on the individual. I personally cannot drink coffee, although if I make it very weak I can have maybe 1 or 2 cups in a month.

It really affects my body in a negative way. I.E. weakens my adreanals very quickly, also causes a very uncomfortable feeling in my bladder. (burning and frequent urination) This lasting sometimes for weeks after not drinking coffee.

I also have to stay away from sodas and several other sugary drinks.

So for me, no way.

I'm extremely sensible to caffeine, I have to take the exact amount every day (tea breakfast, espresso after lunch, 5 o'clock tea) otherwise on the very next day I'll have a terrible headache... that nothing can remove (tried - in many experiments, not contemporarily!: 400mg ibuprofene, 2 x aspirine, 2 x paracetamol, 1 x nimesulide small bag, nothing works.).

Can't drink Coke or chinotto since this will unbalance my daily assumption of caffeine (otherwise I have to carefully check the amounts, a Coke or Chinotto is 33-35 mg/330ml, a tea is 15 mg, an espresso 82-88 mg)

This is "dependece" only, anyway, though its effects on my working ability is still very strong, as the first day!

(BTW: it's rare that one recognises the link between caffeine usage and headache, but some medics suggest that lack of caffeine (after a regular daily use in a certain amount) is one of the most ignored causes of headache!)

Sikhandar said:
I'm extremely sensible to caffeine, I have to take the exact amount every day (tea breakfast, espresso after lunch, 5 o'clock tea) otherwise on the very next day I'll have a terrible headache... that nothing can remove (tried - in many experiments, not contemporarily!: 400mg ibuprofene, 2 x aspirine, 2 x paracetamol, 1 x nimesulide small bag, nothing works.).

Can't drink Coke or chinotto since this will unbalance my daily assumption of caffeine (otherwise I have to carefully check the amounts, a Coke or Chinotto is 33-35 mg/330ml, a tea is 15 mg, an espresso 82-88 mg)

This is "dependece" only, anyway, though its effects on my working ability is still very strong, as the first day!

(BTW: it's rare that one recognises the link between caffeine usage and headache, but some medics suggest that lack of caffeine (after a regular daily use in a certain amount) is one of the most ignored causes of headache!)
I will pray for you to baby Jesus that English is your second language.

080829k said:
经验丰富 公司直接秉承国外先进的经营模式与管理理念,并引进二十多年的生产制造工艺与技术,不断创新,精益求精立体车库。在安装维护方面,立体车库公司有一批亲自完成了近700多个项目的工程团队为客户提供专业化的服务。
设备精良立体车库 公司的生存及发展理念是为客户提供百分百的优质产品。立体车库在设备构件的选择上大部分采用原装进口设备,立体车库高质量而成熟严谨的零部件设备能够保证您的停车库更加坚固、安全。
^^^^ Give it up Classic1 we are not buying the sock puppet routine this time!

Geoff Vadar said:
^^^^ Give it up Classic1 we are not buying the sock puppet routine this time!
择上大部分采用?

pocarisweat.jpg

7ccf7eaf.jpg

hello_kitty.gif

hello-kitty-wrong.JPG

国外先进的经营模式与管理理念. LOL

Caffeine is indeed a diuretic, however it does have some pretty useful properties. As far as I know, Caffeine is the only stimulant proven to aid in lipolysis. It has been published as well that Calcium has similar properties

Caffeine is a legal way of giving some cyclists that 'edge' in races.
Infact there aren't many pro's who don't have a quick shot of caffeine in there system right before a race.
We all want that..hyper ''full of energy'' feeling during a race.
Caffeine does the trick for allot of people. Especially if you are a small build and don't regularly drink it. ''Save it for the day'' 5-10% increase in performance imho.