Cafta's effect on our right to free access

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ann, Aug 10, 2005.

  1. Ann

    Ann Guest

    I received a letter today from my congressman who was one of the 217
    who voted in favor of CAFTA.

    His letter to me reads in part:

    "The Codex guidelines provide voluntary guidance to governments
    relating to the composition of vitamin and mineral supplements and
    criteria for establishing maximum amounts of vitamins and minerals per
    daily portion of the supplement consumed. The guidelines do not
    establish upper limits for vitamins and minerals in supplements. I hope
    this information is helpful to you."

    Is it just me or is this "fuzzy" talk ?

    To see how your congressman voted, there is a link here:
    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll443.xml

    Ann

    Tags:

  2. TC

    TC Guest

    Ann wrote:
    > I received a letter today from my congressman who was one of the 217
    > who voted in favor of CAFTA.
    >
    > His letter to me reads in part:
    >
    > "The Codex guidelines provide voluntary guidance to governments
    > relating to the composition of vitamin and mineral supplements and
    > criteria for establishing maximum amounts of vitamins and minerals per
    > daily portion of the supplement consumed. The guidelines do not
    > establish upper limits for vitamins and minerals in supplements. I hope
    > this information is helpful to you."
    >
    > Is it just me or is this "fuzzy" talk ?
    >
    > To see how your congressman voted, there is a link here:
    > http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2005/roll443.xml
    >

    > Ann

    That seems clear enough. The govt can choose to follow the Codex
    "guidelines" or not. It is up to the govt to establish upper limits or
    not.

    TC

  3. Ann

    Ann Guest

    You missed the point here. Of course it's clear that the guidelines are
    supposed to be voluntary (at this point).