Cairo-)Capetown

Wile E.Coyote

Guest
Not a single bent in the lot, maybe in 2004? 11,000 Km. trip in 100 days through 10
countries...some of the days the temps were 52 C. Would think this would be the ideal race to get
bents on the map. A mere 110 Km a day isn't even an Imperial Century. Was a bit surprised that the
BEST a pro-DF racer from Austria could manage crossing 10 flat countries was an av. of 110 Km per
day, should get some of those tweaked out Lowracers to set the pace in 2004 then we'd have bragging
rights for an entire year.

"Wile E.Coyote" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> Not a single bent in the lot, maybe in 2004? 11,000 Km. trip in 100 days through 10
> countries...some of the days the temps were 52 C. Would think this would be the ideal race to get
> bents on the map. A mere 110 Km a day isn't even an Imperial Century. Was a bit surprised that the
> BEST a pro-DF racer from Austria could manage crossing 10 flat countries was an av. of 110 Km per
> day, should get some of those tweaked out Lowracers to set the pace in 2004 then we'd have
> bragging rights for an entire year.

Likely,some road conditions barely lend themselves to vehicles that have wheels, let alone bicycles
of any configuration.

-- rorschandt ignore the following: <A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]">

--
<A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

You are implying the DFs were setup as Mtbs. I thought about that too, but most of these bikes were
Road Class racing bikes, but I suspect more hardy than anything you'd find in the Tour de France. I
had visions of a pack of cyclists being chased by lions with vultures flying overhead when I saw the
news clip of the cyclists celebrating the end of their trek by riding into the ocean. Seems the
roads used were paved. It did not say it, but I suspect this was a Pace Race re: speed/distance
controlled by the lead bike and having someone on a Baron or M5 breaking away would have been a no
no. Hell, 110 Kms is what I used to ride every morning when I was training for bike races and it
sure did not take me all day to cover such a short distance. Just thought it would be nice to stick
a few Lowracers in a pack of 100 DF raceing bikes and see if the DFs could hold the line for 11,000
Kms....I really doubt it.
-----------------------------------
"rorschandt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Wile E.Coyote" <[email protected]> wrote in
> news:[email protected]:
>
> > Not a single bent in the lot, maybe in 2004? 11,000 Km. trip in 100 days through 10
> > countries...some of the days the temps were 52 C. Would think this would be the ideal race to
> > get bents on the map. A mere 110 Km a day isn't even an Imperial Century. Was a bit surprised
> > that the BEST a pro-DF racer from Austria could manage crossing 10 flat countries was an av. of
> > 110 Km per day, should get some of those tweaked out Lowracers to set the pace in 2004 then we'd
> > have bragging rights for an entire year.
>
> Likely,some road conditions barely lend themselves to vehicles that have wheels, let alone
> bicycles of any configuration.
>

> -- rorschandt ignore the following: <A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]">
>

> --
> <A HREF="mailto:postmaster@[127.0.0.1]"

No thank you.

Wile E.Coyote wrote:
> Not a single bent in the lot, maybe in 2004?

If this is the same event to which a BHPC correspondent was referring when he told us that his
next-door neighbour's son was riding, the *Organisators* were equipped with Street Machine GT's...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

In TV snip it showed "all" the cyclists hitting the beach in Capetown and there were no bents
to be seen.
--------------------------

Wile E.Coyote wrote:
> In TV snip it showed "all" the cyclists hitting the beach in Capetown and there were no bents to
> be seen.

I will try to remember to find the reference tonight, but don't count on anything lucid, coz I'm
going to the pub. Now...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

The 'bent riders were a bit exuberant at tour's end, and went too far into the ocean. If you look
again closely, you'll see the snorkels...

Bobby

"Wile E.Coyote" wrote:

> In TV snip it showed "all" the cyclists hitting the beach in Capetown and there were no bents to
> be seen.
> --------------------------
> "Dave Larrington" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Wile E.Coyote wrote:
> > > Not a single bent in the lot, maybe in 2004?
> >
> > If this is the same event to which a BHPC correspondent was referring when he told us that his
> > next-door neighbour's son was riding, the
> *Organisators*
> > were equipped with Street Machine GT's...
> >
> > Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/
> > Editor - British Human Power Club Newsletter
> > http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

I have finally remembered to look, and yes, the Organisators *were* lying down on the job:

"Tour Organizers Ride Recumbents

Both Henry Gold and Michael de Jong have been riding their bikes and often wondered if there would
be a better way to avoid saddle sores and numb wrists. The answer came while they were in Las Vegas
at the Interbike show 2002. There they met one of the exhibitors called HP Velotechnik manufacturers
of beautifully crafted recumbents.

HP Velotechnik has offered two recumbents to Henry and Michael to ride on the Tour d'Afrique. We
will keep you updated on the outcome of the recumbent versus regular bike while on the Tour.

We would like to thank HP Velotechnik for their support."

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/