Cake help please!!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Nov 23, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.

    Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.

    Thanks,

    Paul.

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    > a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    > to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    > with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    > how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    > whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    > cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul.

    My advice to you since you know nothing about cooking would be to buy a
    cake from a bakery. Or you could ask a neighbor to bake a cake that
    you had bought the ingredients for in advance.

    Just my thought.

  3. deepeddygirl

    deepeddygirl Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    > a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    > to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    > with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    > how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    > whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    > cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul.

    Or buy a mix - they are pretty foolproof. What a nice thought. :)

  4. zxcvbob

    zxcvbob Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    > a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    > to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    > with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    > how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    > whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    > cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul.

    Do you have a 9x13" rectangular cake pan or lasagne pan? I highly
    recommend baking the cake in a 9x13" pan and serving it from the pan
    instead of trying to make a layer cake.

    This isn't quite what you were asking for, but it's close. You could
    make this cake and frost it with ready-to-spread frosting from the store
    (let the cake cool before trying to frost it)

    Chocolate Oatmeal Cake

    1 Cup oatmeal
    1 1/2 Cup boiling water
    1/2 Cup margarine
    1/2 C cocoa
    1 Cup sugar
    1 Cup brown sugar
    2 eggs
    1 1/3 Cup flour
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. vanilla extract

    Mix oatmeal, cocoa, and boiling water and let stand 20 minutes. Cream
    margarine, sugars, vanilla, and eggs. Add oatmeal mixture and mix well.
    Sift flour soda and salt; add to oatmeal-sugar-egg mixture and beat
    well. Bake in greased 9x13" pan at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.

    Frosting: Mix 1/4 C margarine, 1/2 C brown sugar, 3 Tbsp “half and
    half”, 1/3 C chopped pecans, 3/4 C coconut. Spread over cake, broil
    until bubbly and coconut is toasted.

    Bob

  5. Moe

    Moe Guest

    I like the Cake Bible by Rose Beranbaum (sp?). Her cakes always come
    out well. I'd try something like a chocolate mayonnaise cake. I know
    it sounds wierd, but it is an easy recipe that I made as a kid, and it
    is pretty successful. The mayo has eggs and oil. It is a rich, moist
    cake.

    I was a purist when I started out baking and mixed everything by hand.
    It is much easier to use a mixer, even a hand mixer or one of the old
    fashioned ones that has a crank that turns the beaters. By piping, do
    you mean piping the icing/frosting? This takes a little practice, but
    my kids have watched me do it and now at ages 10 & 12 get a kick out of
    piping icing. Its not perfect, but passable.

    I think it is sweet that you want to do something so personal for your
    wife and wish you luck.

    Moe

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    > a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    > to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    > with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    > how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    > whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    > cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul.

  6. ms_peacock

    ms_peacock Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    > a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    > to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    > with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    > how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    > whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    > cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul.

    Here's one my kids made when they were 8 and 10. I never put frosting on
    it, just sprinkle with powdered sugar. If you just have to have frosting
    you could use the stuff that comes in a tub. Just mix it with a whisk.

    Ms P

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Wacky Cake

    Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:10
    Categories : Cakes

    1 cup sugar
    1 1/2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking soda
    3 tablespoons cocoa
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    6 tablespoons oil
    1 tablespoon vinegar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 cup water

    Mix dry ingredients into large bowl.

    Mix all the liquids together in measureing cup.

    Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients, stir until smooth.

    Pour batter into greased 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40
    minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.

  7. Moe

    Moe Guest

  8. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Moe" <[email protected]> wrote

    >I like the Cake Bible by Rose Beranbaum (sp?). Her cakes always come
    > out well. I'd try something like a chocolate mayonnaise cake.

    I cannot believe you said that!! That's what I was planning to say.

    Make that using a devil's food cake mix. The supermarket probably has
    mixers for sale, cheap, but you don't really have to have that. They
    will also have icing in little cans or tubes that you can write with, that's
    what you mean, right? It comes in colors.

    You can use canned frosting if you want, I'd prefer homemade but
    I don't know if you want to bother with that ... you already have it
    covered that you put out so much effort.

    "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING

    1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
    2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    3 cups powdered sugar
    1/3 cup milk
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

    Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk,
    beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk,
    if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

    Bet of luck to you and your wife.

    nancy

  9. "zxcvbob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    > > a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    > > to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    > > with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.
    > >
    > > Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    > > how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    > > whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    > > cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Paul.
    > >

    > Do you have a 9x13" rectangular cake pan or lasagne pan? I highly
    > recommend baking the cake in a 9x13" pan and serving it from the pan
    > instead of trying to make a layer cake.

    Using a square pan is an EXCELLENT idea. You don't want to get into
    manipulating layers and frosting, it will be too frustrating. At the same
    time, you can decorate a square cake very nicely and they are easy to work
    with. Good luck and have fun.

  10. [email protected] looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    > a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    > to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    > with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    > how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    > whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    > cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul.

    I am not a baker so I can feel your pain. My suggestion is to get a box
    mix, with pudding. You don't really need much but a bowl and spoon. The
    icing, depends on you. Just get a can of redi whipped and have at it.

    Michael

    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  11. On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:25:50 -0500, "Nancy Young"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING
    >
    >1 stick (1/2 cup) butter or margarine
    >2/3 cup HERSHEY'S Cocoa
    >3 cups powdered sugar
    >1/3 cup milk
    >1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    >
    >Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk,
    >beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk,
    >if needed. Stir in vanilla. About 2 cups frosting.

    And underneath that, use the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate
    Cake. Just cut the ingredients in half for a square cake pan. Bake
    for 30-35 minutes.

    This is a wonderfully moist cake. The best chocolate cake I've ever
    had, and it's easy to make.

    I hope your wife will come out of the hospital well, and will enjoy
    the cake. And treasure you even more.

    * Exported from MasterCook *

    Hershey's "Perfectly Chocolate" Chocolate Cake

    Recipe By :Hershey's
    Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories : cakes chocolate

    2 cups sugar
    1 3/4 cups flour
    3/4 cup cocoa
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
    1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup vegetable oil
    2 teaspoons vanilla
    1 cup boiling water

    1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour two 9-inch round baking pans.
    2. Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and
    salt in large bowl. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium
    speed of mixer 2 minutes. Stir in boiling water (batter will be thin).
    Pour batter into prepared pans.

    3. Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes
    out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
    completely. Frost with "PERFECTLY CHOCOLATE" CHOCOLATE FROSTING. 10
    to 12 servings.

    VARIATIONS:
    ONE-PAN CAKE: Grease and flour 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Heat oven to
    350°F. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 35 to 40 minutes. Cool
    completely. Frost.

    THREE LAYER CAKE: Grease and flour three 8-inch round baking pans.
    Heat oven to 350°F. Pour batter into prepared pans. Bake 30 to 35
    minutes. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool
    completely. Frost.

    BUNDT CAKE: Grease and flour 12-cup Bundt pan. Heat oven to 350°F.
    Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 50 to 55 minutes. Cool 15 minutes;
    remove from pan to wire rack. Cool completely. Frost.

    CUPCAKES: Line muffin cups (2-1/2 inches in diameter) with paper bake
    cups. Heat oven to 350°F. Fill cups 2/3 full with batter. Bake 22 to
    25 minutes. Cool completely. Frost. About 30 cupcakes.

    Source:
    "http://hersheyrecipes.hersheys.com/"

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    --
    Wash away the gray to respond.

  12. Puester

    Puester Guest

    Come on, folks. The man asked for a simple recipe and
    he has received very few.

    As far as specific brands, did anyone notice he's in the UK?

    ALthough this isn't cake, it's chocolate and wonderful.
    Ms. Schaller is away from home, I believe, but I don't
    think she'd mind sharing the recipe with you.
    Brownies are moist, deep chocolate, usually served cut into squares.

    Barb Schaller's Famous Orgasmic Chocolate Brownies

    8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter
    2 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate (good quality!)
    2/3 cup plain cake flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2 large eggs
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional) (walnuts or pecans are nice)

    Adjust oven rack to center position and heat oven to 350 degrees F.
    Melt butter and chocolate together in medium saucepan set over
    simmering water OR in a 2-quart bowl in a microwave on medium power;
    set aside to cool for about 5-10 minutes.

    Measure flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl and whisk
    briefly to combine; set aside.

    Whisk sugar into cooled chocolate mixture. Whisk in eggs and vanilla,
    then fold in flour mixture (and nuts, if using them) until just
    combined.

    Pour batter into greased 8-inch square metal pan, smooth into corners;
    bake until toothpick inserted halfway between center and edge of pan
    comes out with a few fudgy crumbs, about 23-25 minutes. If batter
    coats toothpick, return pan to oven and bake 2 to 4 minutes more. Cool
    brownies completely in pan set on a wire rack. Cut into squares and
    serve. (Pan may be wrapped in plastic, then foil, for up to 2 days -
    to preserve moistness, cut and remove brownies only as needed.)

    Or: Double the recipe and use a 9x13x2-inch pan and bake about 30-35
    minutes; not too long. Test for doneness.

    gloria p

  13. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Puester wrote:

    > Come on, folks. The man asked for a simple recipe and
    > he has received very few.
    >
    > As far as specific brands, did anyone notice he's in the UK?

    That's very noble of you Puester. The guy comes into the group out of
    nowhere, indicates that he can't even boil and egg and he wants to bake a
    cake from scratch. I thought the pudding response was appropriate for an
    obvious troll.

  14. Puester <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Come on, folks. The man asked for a simple recipe and
    > he has received very few.
    >
    > As far as specific brands, did anyone notice he's in the UK?
    >
    > ALthough this isn't cake, it's chocolate and wonderful.
    > Ms. Schaller is away from home, I believe, but I don't
    > think she'd mind sharing the recipe with you.
    > Brownies are moist, deep chocolate, usually served cut into squares.

    Gloria, I just do not bake. Seriously I don't. When it comes to baked
    goods, I buy them or make a box. Anything else I touch is kinda pukey.

    Michael
    --
    ....Bacteria: The rear entrance to a cafeteria.

    All gramatical errors and misspellings due to Ramsey the cyber kitten. He
    now owns all keyboards and computing devices in the household and has the
    final say on what is, or is not, posted.
    Send email to dog30 at charter dot net

  15. Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote
    in news:[email protected]:

    Will you Puhleeze send me email addy and a snail mailing address. I have
    the damndest card for Crash. Talk to me girl. I won't be free tomorrow,
    well maybe I will. Call me on my cell 314-229-4152. Sorry I know I've
    lost your addy before. I need to print it out.

    Michael

  16. On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 03:54:31 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Damsel in dis Dress <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote
    >in news:[email protected]:
    >
    >Will you Puhleeze send me email addy and a snail mailing address. I have
    >the damndest card for Crash. Talk to me girl. I won't be free tomorrow,
    >well maybe I will. Call me on my cell 314-229-4152. Sorry I know I've
    >lost your addy before. I need to print it out.

    Check your mail. I'm so sorry to have forgotten for that stuff.

    Carol
    --
    Wash away the gray to respond.

  17. Pandora

    Pandora Guest

    <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
    news:[email protected]
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am useless at cooking; I can barely boil an egg. My wife has suffered
    > a bad accident and will be hospitalised until next week. I would like
    > to surprise her with a home made cake on her return, a chocolate type
    > with that sort of chocolate topping, about enough for four people.
    >
    > Can someone direct me to or reply with an idiot's recipe and guide on
    > how I make this without any electrical mixing equipment (I can get a
    > whisk or any other simple kit). Also, if it's feasible to pipe it
    > cheaply, that would be good too. It's an electric fan oven.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Paul.

    Make a "zuppa inglese", it is very simple or idiot (as you define it). I've
    posted recipe some weeks ago (with photo). You need only a sponge cake (you
    can buy it ready), custard and whipped cream.
    Cheers
    Pandora

  18. Wow! What a wonderful response! Thank you all!

    Yes, I am in the UK, but I can 'translate' where necessary anyway.

    Well, I'm off to the shops this morning after carefully re-reading
    these and choosing one that I think I can attempt.

    Thanks again.

    Regards,

    Paul