Calais -- Paris detailed route

Omey

Guest
Hi there,
Myself and a mate are cycling from London to Paris this summer. We can
get to Dover all right but having never cycled in France before, I'm
slightly in the dark in terms of knowing about routes etc.

Is there anyone out there who's done this before and could suggest a
detailed route? Obviously I have some maps but I'm not sure if we
should be going on N roads or D roads or what. We're thinking of three
days from Calais to Paris. Any help would be much appreciated.

On 3 Jun 2004 10:19:56 -0700, Omey <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi there,
> Myself and a mate are cycling from London to Paris this summer. We can
> get to Dover all right but having never cycled in France before, I'm
> slightly in the dark in terms of knowing about routes etc.
>
> Is there anyone out there who's done this before and could suggest a
> detailed route? Obviously I have some maps but I'm not sure if we
> should be going on N roads or D roads or what. We're thinking of three
> days from Calais to Paris. Any help would be much appreciated.

I suggest you take the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry. The roads out of Dieppe
towards Paris are more bike friendly than those out of Calais plus its a
shorter ride (not necessarily an advantage I know). The country is
undulating with a substantial amount of woodland whereas out of Calais its
flatter.

On this side Sustrans routes 20 and 21 from London are substantially off
road.

Sounds like a great ride to me.

--

J u l i a n

__o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Julian Symondson wrote:

> On 3 Jun 2004 10:19:56 -0700, Omey <[email protected]> wrote:
> I have some maps but I'm not sure if we
>> should be going on N roads or D roads or what.

I would stick to D roads (departmental) where possible. They are well
maintained. N roads have too many trucks on them and are dangerous.