Power meters · Public discussion

Calculating FTP from a shorter time trial

Started by roadcyclist · · Last activity · 5 posts · 1,546 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Power meters
Published
23 November 2006
Last activity
4 December 2006
Original author
roadcyclist
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,546
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. (How) Can I calculate my FTP from data gathered doing a ~10min hill climb tt (2.3miles)? Thanks!

  2. roadcyclist said:

    (How) Can I calculate my FTP from data gathered doing a ~10min hill climb tt (2.3miles)? Thanks!

    I don't think you can. Too close from a VO2Max interval, which is too much influanced by your anaerobic capacity.

  3. roadcyclist said:

    (How) Can I calculate my FTP from data gathered doing a ~10min hill climb tt (2.3miles)? Thanks!

    Hard to do, you'd need at least one other test ride (preferably 60 minutes 😉 ).

    But failing that, do another TT like ride of around 25 minutes duration and with those two data points you could reasonably estimate FTP. See Lucy's post on the other thread - 20 minute power - which highlights the monod model.

    Better to come up with a standard protocol that suits your circumstances and is readily repeatable.

  4. roadcyclist said:

    (How) Can I calculate my FTP from data gathered doing a ~10min hill climb tt (2.3miles)? Thanks!

    You can calculate your FTP (60MP) from almost any point on the MP/duration curve, based on performance data from a large population of trained cyclists. The problem is that as you move further and further to the left on the curve from 60 mins, you introduce increasing amounts of variance (error) in the estimate. Even the frequently referenced FTP=.95*20MP has a large variance. FWIW, my FTP~90%10MP, but I have a relatively high anaerobic work capacity (AWC). Another cyclist might have FTP=93%10MP, due to a lower AWC.

  5. Well i'm new to the whole power thing and couldn't bear the thought of 60 min inside at my max so I did a 45 min TT-cycling peaks showed my effort was fairly constant-do you guys think this is valid?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.