Calculating Power

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by CapeRoadster, Dec 5, 2006.

1. CapeRoadster

CapeRoadster New Member

If I know my speed and cadence, can't I calculate power without a power meter?

Why would I want to buy one when I could spend a grand on a nice cycling vacation somewhere?

Tags:

2. rmur17

rmur17 New Member

nice one ...

3. jws

jws New Member

Cadence has no significance, but you can calculate power pretty easily if you:

1) know total weight
    2) know or calculate speed
    3) estimate friction and rolling resistance(not too hard)
    4) know grade
    5) do the test on a steep, steady grade so that speed is low; or, alternatively, know your CdA(aerodynamics) and ambient air conditions very precisely(pretty tough).

4. SolarEnergy

SolarEnergy New Member

Well (and I'm not being sarcastic here), if you're not to concerned with your improvement... I mean I have a lot of friends who just ride for the sake of riding, with no goals other than piling as many miles as they can in a season. Which is perfect if it's what you want.

In such a case then choose the vacation.

5. Eden

Eden New Member

with some of the info above you can use this http://www.kreuzotter.de/english/espeed.htm calculator to get a power estimate.

this is also kind of fun to use to find out how losing weight or making other changes can change your ride times.

6. rayhuang

rayhuang New Member

I was bored last night and did just that. Figured out my power to weight ratio now, if I were 10 lbs lighter and how much power I would need to produce to be at a Cat2 level. Fun, humbling and a great source of motivation!!!