Calculating steerer length

Bruce Edge

Guest
You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in advance.

If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
used fork??

-Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)

bruce edge wrote:

> You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
> advance.
>
> If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
> long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
> used fork??
>
> -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)

headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1"
- 2"). you might want to add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than
short. ( the old "I've cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
> advance.
>
> If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
> long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
> used fork??
>
> -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)

Add the stack height of the headset to the head tube length. CK available here in mm
http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html

then add the stem clamp thickness - 3mm. I always add 15mm of spacers then cut.

OR assemble everything then scribe a mark in the steerer then cut 3mm below the mark.

Mike

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:07:51 -0800, James Connell wrote:

> bruce edge wrote:
>
>> You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
>> advance.
>>
>> If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
>> long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
>> used fork??
>>
>> -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)
>>

> headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1" - 2"). you might want to
> add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than short. ( the old "I've
> cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)

OK, so from their web site: http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html

the 1 1/8 threadless total stack height is 31.4 mm

So ( 4.75 + 2 ) * 2.54 + 3.14 = 20.285 cm = 7.98 or 8 inches?

I'm looking at a used one that's 8 1/4", looks like it fits, no?

-Bruce

bruce edge wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:07:51 -0800, James Connell wrote:
>

>>bruce edge wrote:
>>

>>>You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
>>>advance.
>>>
>>>If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
>>>long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
>>>used fork??
>>>
>>>-Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)
>>>

>>headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1" - 2"). you might want to
>>add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than short. ( the old "I've
>>cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)
>

> OK, so from their web site: http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html
>
> the 1 1/8 threadless total stack height is 31.4 mm
>
> So ( 4.75 + 2 ) * 2.54 + 3.14 = 20.285 cm = 7.98 or 8 inches?
>
> I'm looking at a used one that's 8 1/4", looks like it fits, no?
>
> -Bruce

yep, should be fine!

y'll need a few spacers under the stem (or you can cut it down a little. you really only want it to
come to about 1/4" of the top stem to give room for the cap and adjustment.