Calculating steerer length

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bruce Edge, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Edge

Bruce Edge Guest

You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in advance.

If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    used fork??

-Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)

Tags:

2. bruce edge wrote:

> You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
    > advance.
    >
    > If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    > long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    > used fork??
    >
    > -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)
    >

headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1"
    - 2"). you might want to add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than
    short. ( the old "I've cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)

3. Michael Dart

Michael Dart Guest

"bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
    > advance.
    >
    > If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    > long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    > used fork??
    >
    > -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)
    >

Add the stack height of the headset to the head tube length. CK available here in mm
    http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html

then add the stem clamp thickness - 3mm. I always add 15mm of spacers then cut.

OR assemble everything then scribe a mark in the steerer then cut 3mm below the mark.

Mike

4. Bruce Edge

Bruce Edge Guest

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:07:51 -0800, James Connell wrote:

> bruce edge wrote:
    >
    >> You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
    >> advance.
    >>
    >> If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    >> long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    >> used fork??
    >>
    >> -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)
    >>
    >>
    > headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1" - 2"). you might want to
    > add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than short. ( the old "I've
    > cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)

OK, so from their web site: http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html

the 1 1/8 threadless total stack height is 31.4 mm

So ( 4.75 + 2 ) * 2.54 + 3.14 = 20.285 cm = 7.98 or 8 inches?

I'm looking at a used one that's 8 1/4", looks like it fits, no?

-Bruce

5. bruce edge wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:07:51 -0800, James Connell wrote:
    >
    >
    >>bruce edge wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
    >>>advance.
    >>>
    >>>If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    >>>long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    >>>used fork??
    >>>
    >>>-Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)
    >>>
    >>>
    >>
    >>headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1" - 2"). you might want to
    >>add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than short. ( the old "I've
    >>cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)
    >
    >
    > OK, so from their web site: http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html
    >
    > the 1 1/8 threadless total stack height is 31.4 mm
    >
    > So ( 4.75 + 2 ) * 2.54 + 3.14 = 20.285 cm = 7.98 or 8 inches?
    >
    > I'm looking at a used one that's 8 1/4", looks like it fits, no?
    >
    > -Bruce
    >
    yep, should be fine!

y'll need a few spacers under the stem (or you can cut it down a little. you really only want it to
    come to about 1/4" of the top stem to give room for the cap and adjustment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.