Calculating steerer length

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Bruce Edge, Apr 17, 2003.

  1. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in advance.

    If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    used fork??

    -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)

    Tags:

  2. bruce edge wrote:

    > You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
    > advance.
    >
    > If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    > long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    > used fork??
    >
    > -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)

    headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1"
    - 2"). you might want to add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than
    short. ( the old "I've cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "bruce edge" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
    > advance.
    >
    > If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    > long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    > used fork??
    >
    > -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)

    Add the stack height of the headset to the head tube length. CK available here in mm
    http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html

    then add the stem clamp thickness - 3mm. I always add 15mm of spacers then cut.

    OR assemble everything then scribe a mark in the steerer then cut 3mm below the mark.

    Mike

  4. Bruce Edge

    Bruce Edge Guest

    On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:07:51 -0800, James Connell wrote:

    > bruce edge wrote:
    >
    >> You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
    >> advance.
    >>
    >> If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    >> long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    >> used fork??
    >>
    >> -Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)
    >>

    > headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1" - 2"). you might want to
    > add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than short. ( the old "I've
    > cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)

    OK, so from their web site: http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html

    the 1 1/8 threadless total stack height is 31.4 mm

    So ( 4.75 + 2 ) * 2.54 + 3.14 = 20.285 cm = 7.98 or 8 inches?

    I'm looking at a used one that's 8 1/4", looks like it fits, no?

    -Bruce

  5. bruce edge wrote:
    > On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:07:51 -0800, James Connell wrote:
    >

    >>bruce edge wrote:
    >>

    >>>You guys are going to know every detail of this thing by the time it's done. I apologize in
    >>>advance.
    >>>
    >>>If the head tube is 4.75 inches, assuming say a chris king head set (does that matter ?) How
    >>>long must the steerer be? You have to be able to calculate this or how would anyone ever buy a
    >>>used fork??
    >>>
    >>>-Bruce (getting a bit less clueless each day)
    >>>

    >>headtube len + stack height + (if it's a threadless) stem clamp len (~1" - 2"). you might want to
    >>add a few mm for spacers if you like - it's better to be a little long than short. ( the old "I've
    >>cut it 4 times and it's *still* to short" thing)
    >

    > OK, so from their web site: http://www.chrisking.com/specs/headsets_all.html
    >
    > the 1 1/8 threadless total stack height is 31.4 mm
    >
    > So ( 4.75 + 2 ) * 2.54 + 3.14 = 20.285 cm = 7.98 or 8 inches?
    >
    > I'm looking at a used one that's 8 1/4", looks like it fits, no?
    >
    > -Bruce

    yep, should be fine!

    y'll need a few spacers under the stem (or you can cut it down a little. you really only want it to
    come to about 1/4" of the top stem to give room for the cap and adjustment.