Caledonia etape with 8 speed cassette?! upgrade?

pr1mate

Apr 27, 2010
I'm a cycling newb, although I have been puttin in the miles for the etape.I have a basic Trek 1000. I'm getting concerned that my 8 speed cassette isnt enough to climb the 2 mile uphill section of Schiehallion.

Don't get me wrong I would be able to climb it I just want to be able to put in a good/better time!

What should I upgrade to enable an easier climb?

Thanks

Complete Trek 1000 Specifications

Frameset
Sizes: 43, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 63cm
Frame: Alpha SL Aluminum
Fork: Bontrager Approved, carbon
Wheels
Wheels: Alloy hubs; Alex alloy rims w/eyelets
Tires: Bontrager Select, 700x25c
Drivetrain
Shifters: Shimano Sora STI, 8 speed
Front Derailleur: Shimano 2203
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Tiagra
Crank: Bontrager Sport 52/42/30
Cassette: SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed
Pedals: Alloy/nylon road w/clips and straps
Components
Saddle: Bontrager Race Basic Lux
Seat Post: Bontrager Carbon Handlebars Bontrager Sport, 26.0mm
Stem: Bontrager Select, 17 degree
Headset: Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed
Brakeset: Alloy dual pivot w/Shimano Sora STI levers

Your body. I have a Trek 1000 and it climbs fine. You just have to have the right level of fitness to climb the climb. It looks like your bike has a triple crankset, and a 30 chainring with a 26-tooth cog will give you a much smaller gear ratio than most of the people with doubles, even those with compact cranksets. So your bike might even climb better than others'

A 2 mile climb isn't very long and it's not really worth the expense of upgrading anything on your bike just for that...

You shouldn't feel that you have to buy a new bike. The component set is not bad for climbs up to about 7% grade for most intermediate level cyclists If you are climbing steeper hills, you can switch that cog set from the 12-26 to a mountain bike cog set, perhaps 12-32. You will also have to change the rear derailleur to one that has a longer arm, and probably the chain. I'm guessing a shop would charge you about $120 - $150.

My wife and I did this to our touring bikes, and now can spin our way up steeper hills with loaded bikes.

Gordon Harris
www.bikenewengland.com

gordonharris912 said:
You shouldn't feel that you have to buy a new bike. The component set is not bad for climbs up to about 7% grade for most intermediate level cyclists If you are climbing steeper hills, you can switch that cog set from the 12-26 to a mountain bike cog set, perhaps 12-32. You will also have to change the rear derailleur to one that has a longer arm, and probably the chain. I'm guessing a shop would charge you about $120 - $150.

My wife and I did this to our touring bikes, and now can spin our way up steeper hills with loaded bikes.
+1.

But, I think that the OP might as well go for broke & install an 11-34 cassette ...

The advantage of an 11-34 would be the 30t cog which may be all the OP needs, with the 34t being a bail-out cog.

ALSO, I think that with selective acquisition via eBay the cost can be closer to half of what you have suggested.

hi,
thanks for all the replies. I told you I was a techno bike newb so please forgive me. I have a double crankset not a triple. My specs are from the TREK 1000 year 2007. Which I believe are the following (ignore my previous specs list):

Frameset Sizes 43, 50, 52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 63cm Frame Alpha SL Aluminum Fork Bontrager Approved, carbon Wheels Wheels Alloy hubs; Alex alloy rims w/eyelets Tires Bontrager Select, 700x25c Drivetrain Shifters Shimano Sora STI, 8 speed Front Derailleur Shimano 2203 Rear Derailleur Shimano Tiagra Crank Bontrager Sport 52/42/30 Cassette SRAM 850 12-26, 8 speed Pedals Alloy/nylon road w/clips and straps Components Saddle Bontrager Race Basic Lux Seat Post Bontrager Carbon Handlebars Bontrager Sport, 26.0mm Stem Bontrager Select, 17 degree Headset Aheadset Slimstak w/semi-cartridge bearings, sealed Brakeset Alloy dual pivot w/Shimano Sora STI levers

Would changing the rear cassette help with an easier climb? I can climb a 20% hill with the above specs but the cadence is slow and I'm up out of my seat from the very start. I am looking to ascend quicker! :)

ta

oh and is there comewhere on my existing cassette where I can find how many teeth the smallest and largest rings have? Sorry for not using the right lingo :)

pr1mate said:
I told you I was a techno bike newb so please forgive me. I have a double crankset not a triple. My specs are from the TREK 1000 year 2007.

oh and is there comewhere on my existing cassette where I can find how many teeth the smallest and largest rings have? Sorry for not using the right lingo
The number of teeth on each cog is often stamped on the outer face ... but, you can always just count the number of teeth on each cog.

Without knowing what chainrings you have on & depending on your budget, I recommend you get an LX-or-better rear derailleur + a 12-34 or 11-34 cassette ... OR, 12-32 cassette as gordonharris912 suggests.

alfeng said:
+1.

But, I think that the OP might as well go for broke & install an 11-34 cassette ...

Could climb a tree with that cassette :). But sure, why the hell not?

Ok I opted for

SRAM PG850 8 Speed Cassette 11-28

after seeing a review on Wiggle. The poster commented that the 2 extra teeth on the granny gear made all the difference. Cost was £30.

I didnt want to spend a fortune upgrading as I rather buy a new bike