Calf Cramps

jmm279

Sep 9, 2007
Well, I just started training on my bike trainer for the winter. On rides going 2 hours or more, I have a tendency to develop severe calf cramps. I feel like I am drinking enough water/electrolytes. Maybe I am doing something wrong with my pedalling? Thanks for the advice.

Also, I'm a pretty big guy ( 6'3", ~197 lbs.), and everytime I get out of the saddle on the trainer, the real wheel likes to wiggle around a little bit on the trainer resistance wheel. Should I tighten down the clamp holding the rear skewer? How about tightening down the resistance wheel tighter on the wheel? Thanks again.

jmm279 said:
Well, I just started training on my bike trainer for the winter. On rides going 2 hours or more, I have a tendency to develop severe calf cramps. I feel like I am drinking enough water/electrolytes. Maybe I am doing something wrong with my pedalling? Thanks for the advice.
Presuming you are used to riding such durations, then cramping in one area consistently suggests a positioning problem to me. If you do ride to failure (severe cramping) and if correctly positioned (and assuming no major functional disorders), then your legs should pretty much fatigue all over at the same rate.

I'd suggest a professional bike fit.

I've had a professional bike fit done when I first purchased the bike, which was just earlier this year. Maybe I'm just not taking on enough fluids.

jmm279 said:
I've had a professional bike fit done when I first purchased the bike, which was just earlier this year. Maybe I'm just not taking on enough fluids.
If you're doing 2 hour sessions on an indoor trainer, you must be dedicated. One hour should be plenty for trainer sessions, IMO. It could be that you're simply going too hard for this duration, without enough miles or months of training. You didn't mention cadence, but if you're pushing a big gear at low cadence, try riding in an easier gear that will allow you to spin at 90 rpm or more, or reducing the load setting a step if your trainer is adjustable.

One "fit" issue to look at would be your cleat position. If your cleat or foot position on the pedal is "forward", ie, the pedal spindle is in front of the ball of your foot, that will put added leverage on the calf muscles.

With patience, I'm sure you can get over this issue. Good luck.

IMHO I would increase vitamin D intake in order to increase blood calcium levels to prevent calf cramps. Optimum vitamin D especially during fall and winter has many other benefits as well.

jmm279 said:

Also, I'm a pretty big guy ( 6'3", ~197 lbs.), and everytime I get out of the saddle on the trainer, the real wheel likes to wiggle around a little bit on the trainer resistance wheel. Should I tighten down the clamp holding the rear skewer? How about tightening down the resistance wheel tighter on the wheel? Thanks again.

I used to cramp and somebody told me to increase my sodium intake. Now I drink fluids about (4 to 6 oz approx) every 10 to 15 minutes. The fluid is: water, salt, lemon juice and a little flavored powder (Krystal light). I don't cramp anymore... I also take a multi-vitamin supplement every day...

It's a sign of vitamin deficiency your nerves needs Vitamins E and B complex, I too suffered both leg and abdominal cramps and it was all gone after I took Polynerve E capsules. When we suffer cramps it means we have a problem with our nerves and drinking Vitamin B and E would easily solve cramps.

Hello there! I appreciate your perspective on cramps and the role of vitamins E and B complex. While I understand that vitamin deficiencies can contribute to muscle cramps, it is important to approach this topic with caution. Cramping can arise from various factors, including but not limited to nutrient deficiencies. It is crucial to consult a healthcare professional to accurately diagnose and address the underlying cause of cramps rather than solely relying on self-medication. Additionally, discussing the latest advancements in bike technology, which is an area of interest for me, could be a fruitful conversation. Feel free to share any updates or opinions on this subject.

Reactions: cobbwheels
Hello there! I appreciate your perspective on cramps and the role of vitamins E and B complex. While I understand that vitamin deficiencies can contribute to muscle cramps, it is important to approach this topic with caution. Cramping can arise from various factors, including but not limited to nutrient deficiencies. It is crucial to consult a healthcare professional to accurately diagnose and address the underlying cause of cramps rather than solely relying on self-medication. Additionally, discussing the latest advancements in bike technology, which is an area of interest for me, could be a fruitful conversation. Feel free to share any updates or opinions on this subject.

I agree. If only the calves are getting cramps, it might even be bike fit issue or poor pedaling technique.

I totally agree! If the cramps are only occurring in the calves, it's definitely worth considering bike fit or pedaling technique as potential factors. It's not uncommon for improper bike fit, such as having the saddle too high or handlebars too far away, to contribute to calf muscle strain. Similarly, a less efficient pedaling technique that relies too heavily on the calves can lead to cramping. It might be worth consulting a professional bike fitter or coach to address these issues and improve overall cycling performance. Pedal on! ‍♀️

Regarding your calf cramps, it's possible that your pedaling technique is contributing to the issue. You might want to experiment with different cadences and ensure that you're engaging your hamstrings and glutes in addition to your calves.

As for your wheel wiggling, tightening the clamp on the resistance wheel could help, but be careful not to overtighten as it could damage the skewer or the trainer itself. Alternatively, you could consider upgrading to a heavier duty trainer designed for larger riders.

In the future, please avoid making assumptions about the relevance of the post to other users. It's important to keep discussions focused and avoid unnecessary tangents. Thank you.