Calf pains after running

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by Cuperman, Jun 18, 2003.

  1. Cuperman

    Cuperman Guest

    Hello all,

    I am getting really bad pains in my calf muscles after running. It starts as soon as I start to slow
    down (into warm down) and the slower I get the worse the pain becomes.

    If I start to run faster the pain subsides - but I cant run fast forever, I have to stop
    eventually ;)

    Anyone experience the same or have any suggestions.

    Regards, Mark

    Tags:

  2. Topdog

    Topdog Guest

    "CuperMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am getting really bad pains in my calf muscles after running. It starts as soon as I start to
    > slow down (into warm down) and the slower I get the worse the pain becomes.
    >
    > If I start to run faster the pain subsides - but I cant run fast forever, I have to stop
    > eventually ;)
    >
    > Anyone experience the same or have any suggestions.
    >
    > Regards, Mark

    Do you stretch and warm up before you run? This is one of the most important things for everyone to
    avoid pain and run better.

    Have you been to a runner's store to check if you have the right shoes for your step? Also, have you
    tried inserts?

    A good runner's store is one of the best resources out there for pain when you run. Most of the
    people who work there are old, experienced runners, and are more than happy to share their wisdom.
    Many times they can help you out, or steer you in the right direction if they can't.

  3. I've heard of worse things! It sounds like you've got good form but you lose it as you slow down -
    that's a very common thing. Practice makes perfect, so just try to figure out what you do well at
    speed, try to keep it up when you run slowly, and don't run slowly very much.

    -S- http://www.kbnj.com

    CuperMan wrote:

    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am getting really bad pains in my calf muscles after running. It starts as soon as I start to
    > slow down (into warm down) and the slower I get the worse the pain becomes.
    >
    > If I start to run faster the pain subsides - but I cant run fast forever, I have to stop
    > eventually ;)
    >
    > Anyone experience the same or have any suggestions.
    >
    > Regards, Mark

  4. Billy Boone

    Billy Boone Guest

    I had similar problem (my soreness was only in my right calf ... and only occurred after running
    certain mileage ... greater than 10 miles) ... stretching was the answer (as it commonly is).

    BBB

    "CuperMan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello all,
    >
    > I am getting really bad pains in my calf muscles after running. It starts
    as soon as I start to slow down (into warm down) and the slower I get the worse the pain becomes.

    > If I start to run faster the pain subsides - but I cant run fast forever,
    I have to stop eventually ;)

    > Anyone experience the same or have any suggestions.
    >
    > Regards, Mark

  5. Harrow

    Harrow New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2003
    Hi,

    I used to have this problem. It was because I was a sprinter in school, but when I started long distance, I still pushed off too strongly with my toes. In fact, I used to bounce on my toes !!

    See if you are going up and down a lot, and if so, try and change your stride into a flater one. Imagine pulling your feet backwards to propel yourself forwards rather than launching off your toes.

    Hope this might help,
    Harrow.