Calf Tails

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Margaret Suran, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and bought two pounds of the tails.
    They look like a small, pale version of ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.

    Has anybody seen this cut of meat? Has anybody cooked it?

    I did this morning. I chopped a medium sized onion and a couple of garlic cloves, sautéed them in a
    small amount of butter until they were translucent, then added the cut up calf tails, arranging them
    on top of the onions and pouring about a cup of tomato juice, which I had in a half used bottle in
    my refrigerator.

    I put the covered pot into a 350 degree oven, skimmed the fat off several times and the meat seemed
    to be done after about two hours. I tasted it and found it very tasty. It did not taste very much
    like Th. ox tails, but much more like Osso Buco. The gravy was very thick and gelatinous.

    What shall I serve with it? The sides that were suggested for Osso Buco in the thread of a couple
    of weeks ago? Baked potatoes, since this dish is so rich? Buttered noodles or other plain pasta? A
    salad, of course and a green vegetable, tiny frozen peas, probably, but I want some kind of
    starch, too.

    I have been tasting the tails and about a quarter of them are gone. They are really delicious.

    Margaret

    Tags:

  2. Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and bought two pounds of the
    > tails. They look like a small, pale version of ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.
    >
    > Has anybody seen this cut of meat? Has anybody cooked it?

    I've never seen it before, but certainly makes sense. What else would they do with the tails of
    calves (veal?)?

    > I did this morning. I chopped a medium sized onion and a couple of garlic cloves, sautéed them in
    > a small amount of butter until they were translucent, then added the cut up calf tails, arranging
    > them on top of the onions and pouring about a cup of tomato juice, which I had in a half used
    > bottle in my refrigerator.
    >
    > I put the covered pot into a 350 degree oven, skimmed the fat off several times and the meat
    > seemed to be done after about two hours. I tasted it and found it very tasty. It did not taste
    > very much like Th. ox tails, but much more like Osso Buco. The gravy was very thick and
    > gelatinous.

    Sounds like a good prep. I guess I would expect them to taste more like veal than would ox
    tails. The richness of the gravy is certainly from the long cooking of the tails, as is the same
    in ox tails.

    > What shall I serve with it? The sides that were suggested for Osso Buco in the thread of a couple
    > of weeks ago? Baked potatoes, since this dish is so rich? Buttered noodles or other plain pasta? A
    > salad, of course and a green vegetable, tiny frozen peas, probably, but I want some kind of
    > starch, too.

    I should think that any side appropriate for Osso Buco would work equally well for the calf tails.

    > I have been tasting the tails and about a quarter of them are gone. They are really delicious.

    If you keep sampling, Margaret, you won't need any side dishes! <G>

    > Margaret

    I'll have to keep an eye out for these...sounds really good!

    Wayne

  3. Sounds very appealing Margaret. Your approach to trying an unknown piece of meat seems right on
    target to me.

    I think it would go well on top of some flat noodles or maybe spaetzle. But another grain, like
    farro perlato cooked in broth from hydrating porcini, would work well in a different way IMHO.

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:09:03 GMT, Margaret Suran <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and bought two pounds of the tails.
    >They look like a small, pale version of ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.
    >
    >Has anybody seen this cut of meat? Has anybody cooked it?
    >
    >I did this morning. I chopped a medium sized onion and a couple of garlic cloves, sautéed them in a
    >small amount of butter until they were translucent, then added the cut up calf tails, arranging
    >them on top of the onions and pouring about a cup of tomato juice, which I had in a half used
    >bottle in my refrigerator.
    >
    >I put the covered pot into a 350 degree oven, skimmed the fat off several times and the meat seemed
    >to be done after about two hours. I tasted it and found it very tasty. It did not taste very much
    >like Th. ox tails, but much more like Osso Buco. The gravy was very thick and gelatinous.
    >
    >What shall I serve with it? The sides that were suggested for Osso Buco in the thread of a couple
    >of weeks ago? Baked potatoes, since this dish is so rich? Buttered noodles or other plain pasta? A
    >salad, of course and a green vegetable, tiny frozen peas, probably, but I want some kind of
    >starch, too.
    >
    >I have been tasting the tails and about a quarter of them are gone. They are really delicious.
    >
    >Margaret

    Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

    "In this house we _obey_ the laws of thermodynamics." --Homer Simpson

  4. Anna Maria

    Anna Maria Guest

    Margaret Suran wrote:

    > I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and bought two pounds of the
    > tails. They look like a small, pale version of ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.
    >
    > Has anybody seen this cut of meat? Has anybody cooked it?
    >
    > I did this morning. I chopped a medium sized onion and a couple of garlic cloves, sautéed them in
    > a small amount of butter until they were translucent, then added the cut up calf tails, arranging
    > them on top of the onions and pouring about a cup of tomato juice, which I had in a half used
    > bottle in my refrigerator.
    >
    > I put the covered pot into a 350 degree oven, skimmed the fat off several times and the meat
    > seemed to be done after about two hours. I tasted it and found it very tasty. It did not taste
    > very much like Th. ox tails, but much more like Osso Buco. The gravy was very thick and
    > gelatinous.
    >
    > What shall I serve with it? The sides that were suggested for Osso Buco in the thread of a couple
    > of weeks ago? Baked potatoes, since this dish is so rich? Buttered noodles or other plain pasta? A
    > salad, of course and a green vegetable, tiny frozen peas, probably, but I want some kind of
    > starch, too.
    >
    > I have been tasting the tails and about a quarter of them are gone. They are really delicious.
    >
    > Margaret

    oxtail roman style

    Calf tail can be used, of course adjusting cooking time.

    3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 lb (approximately 1 kg) oxtail 1 medium onion, diced 1
    carrot, diced 1 celery stick, chopped salt and pepper
    1/4 cup (60 cc) dry white wine 1 cup (250 gr) tomato, diced 8 celery sticks, cut longitudinally
    into strips

    In a saucepan, pour the oil and turn the heat to medium. Add the oxtail and sauté it until the meat
    is uniformly browned.

    Add the onion, carrot, chopped celery stick, and salt and pepper. Sauté the mixture until the
    onion is soft.

    Add the wine, turn the heat to high, and let the wine evaporate.

    Add the tomato, and bring the mixture to a boil. When the sauce starts boiling, reduce the heat and
    add 1/2 cup (120 cc) water.

    Cover and cook the food until the meat becomes tender and starts coming off of the bone; add some
    warm water if necessary.

    Add the celery strips, and cook until the celery is tender. Adjust salt and pepper and serve warm.

    www.annamariavolpi.com

  5. anna maria wrote:
    > Margaret Suran wrote:
    >
    >> I found several packages marked "Calf Tails" at the supermarket and bought two pounds of the
    >> tails. They look like a small, pale version of ox tails, something I enjoy when I prepare it.

    > oxtail roman style
    >
    > Calf tail can be used, of course adjusting cooking time.
    >

    > 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil 2 lb (approximately 1 kg) oxtail 1 medium onion, diced 1
    > carrot, diced 1 celery stick, chopped salt and pepper
    > 1/4 cup (60 cc) dry white wine 1 cup (250 gr) tomato, diced 8 celery sticks, cut longitudinally
    > into strips
    >
    > In a saucepan, pour the oil and turn the heat to medium. Add the oxtail and sauté it until the
    > meat is uniformly browned.
    >
    > Add the onion, carrot, chopped celery stick, and salt and pepper. Sauté the mixture until the
    > onion is soft.
    >
    > Add the wine, turn the heat to high, and let the wine evaporate.
    >
    > Add the tomato, and bring the mixture to a boil. When the sauce starts boiling, reduce the heat
    > and add 1/2 cup (120 cc) water.
    >
    > Cover and cook the food until the meat becomes tender and starts coming off of the bone; add some
    > warm water if necessary.
    >
    > Add the celery strips, and cook until the celery is tender. Adjust salt and pepper and serve warm.

    Thank you, this sounds delicious. I will try it the next time.