Calfee and Freddy M have parted company

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Joeg, Feb 10, 2004.

  1. Joeg

    Joeg Guest

    OK, I just can't sit on this any longer. I'm feeling slightly vulnerable, since Calfee still have a
    4k deposit of mine, plus they haven't delivered the bike but....

    Just spreading the word, exactly as it was told to me:

    Friday (I think) morning I got a call from Freddy M, telling me that he and Craig had had a
    difference of opinion regarding money, as in, Craig decided that the verbal agreement they had come
    to earlier as far as freds commission went was too much money for Freddy. It would appear that Fred
    was working with no benefits for relatively low wages and was going to switch to commission with the
    bikes rolling out the door. At the 11th hour, Craig decided the verbal agreement was null and void.

    I don't know what else happened, but the net is that freddy is out the door, Calfee retains all the
    molds and production stuff necessary to produce Stiletto's, and has changed their web page to erase
    any mention of Freddy's contribution to the design.

    I spoke with Chris there, relatively new manager, and asked for my 4K back. He demurred, saying the
    bike was done especially (custom?) for me, and so....I pretty much caved after arguing for awhile
    about whose design the bike was, Freddy's or Calfee's or some amalgam of both.

    I cannot, of course, definitively say whose design it was, but I know what was in my mind when I
    forked over 4K - I thought I was getting Freddy M's work and the benefit of his association with
    Easy Racers.

    Be that as it may, I'm going to (assuming they can deliver it to me without Freddy) take
    posession of the bike and try to sort out the dangling remaining issue myself vis-a-vis body sock
    and so forth.

    I've been waiting until I got the bike to say anything, but I just can't anymore. At the risk of
    damaging my chances of getting warranty work or any service from Calfee, I have to say this is the
    very last product I will ever purchase from them. This is the third Calfee frame I've purchased.

    Chris made a cryptic remark to the effect of, 'Freddy better watch what he says about this to
    people'. I don't know exactly how to interpret it. In any case, Freddy Markham is not writing
    this. I am.

    Oh, one more thing. Chris pretty much confirmed what Freddy said about the difference of opinion vis-a-
    vis compensation.

  2. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    WOW
    *****
    "JoeG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > OK, I just can't sit on this any longer. I'm feeling slightly vulnerable, since Calfee still have
    > a 4k deposit of mine, plus they haven't delivered the bike but....
    >
    > Just spreading the word, exactly as it was told to me:
    >
    > Friday (I think) morning I got a call from Freddy M, telling me that he
    and
    > Craig had had a difference of opinion regarding money, as in, Craig
    decided
    > that the verbal agreement they had come to earlier as far as freds commission went was too much
    > money for Freddy. It would appear that Fred
    was
    > working with no benefits for relatively low wages and was going to switch
    > commission with the bikes rolling out the door. At the 11th hour, Craig decided the verbal
    > agreement was null and void.
    >
    > I don't know what else happened, but the net is that freddy is out the
    door,
    > Calfee retains all the molds and production stuff necessary to produce Stiletto's, and has changed
    > their web page to erase any mention of
    Freddy's
    > contribution to the design.
    >
    > I spoke with Chris there, relatively new manager, and asked for my 4K
    back.
    > He demurred, saying the bike was done especially (custom?) for me, and so....I pretty much caved
    > after arguing for awhile about whose design the bike was, Freddy's or Calfee's or some amalgam
    > of both.
    >
    > I cannot, of course, definitively say whose design it was, but I know what was in my mind when I
    > forked over 4K - I thought I was getting Freddy M's work and the benefit of his association with
    > Easy Racers.
    >
    > Be that as it may, I'm going to (assuming they can deliver it to me
    without
    > Freddy) take posession of the bike and try to sort out the dangling remaining issue myself vis-a-
    > vis body sock and so forth.
    >
    > I've been waiting until I got the bike to say anything, but I just can't anymore. At the risk of
    > damaging my chances of getting warranty work or
    any
    > service from Calfee, I have to say this is the very last product I will
    ever
    > purchase from them. This is the third Calfee frame I've purchased.
    >
    > Chris made a cryptic remark to the effect of, 'Freddy better watch what he says about this to
    > people'. I don't know exactly how to interpret it. In
    any
    > case, Freddy Markham is not writing this. I am.
    >
    > Oh, one more thing. Chris pretty much confirmed what Freddy said about
    the
    > difference of opinion vis-a-vis compensation.

  3. JoeG, I'm not an attorney, BUT to me, if you ordered a bike (Having already plunked down the $$$)
    assuming it would be built / designed under a certain or specific person or such and that person is
    no longer in the picture; I'd say you have an absolute legal right to get ALL your $$$ back, ASAP! I
    think you should seriously seek legal counsel on this and not be forced, prodded or coerced to
    purchase something that doesn't meet your initial intended expectations. EZ (Don't get RIPPED OFF)
    Biker :-/ Pompano Beach, Fl. (Bacchetta Aero Pilot)

  4. JoeG wrote:

    > I spoke with Chris there, relatively new manager, and asked for my 4K back. He demurred, saying
    > the bike was done especially (custom?) for me, and so....I pretty much caved after arguing for
    > awhile about whose design the bike was, Freddy's or Calfee's or some amalgam of both.

    Check out http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=902 - Some other costumer managed
    to get his deposit back. Don't give up just yet. If you don't feel comfortable buying the bike under
    these conditions, then don't. Talk to someone up higher in the company.

  5. Evsolutions

    Evsolutions Guest

    Yep Ask for your $4K back and let Calfee know that you where buying a package deal...if Fred
    Markham isn't in the picture neither should you be. Also note that much of the resale value of
    your bent went into the crapper when Fast Freddie left Calfee. No one buys a "Limited Edition"
    while the designer is free to find a new person to fabricate an identical product and start the #
    series over again.

    On a more personal note I hope Fred is doing okay with what has happened and will not be too
    discouraged...afterall Calfee IS a DF maker.

    Joshua
    *****
    "Joao de Souza" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > JoeG wrote:
    > >
    > > I spoke with Chris there, relatively new manager, and asked for my 4K
    back.
    > > He demurred, saying the bike was done especially (custom?) for me, and so....I pretty much caved
    > > after arguing for awhile about whose design
    the
    > > bike was, Freddy's or Calfee's or some amalgam of both.
    >
    > Check out http://www.easyracers.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=902 - Some other costumer
    > managed to get his deposit back. Don't give up just yet. If you don't feel comfortable buying the
    > bike under these conditions, then don't. Talk to someone up higher in the company.

  6. Bentbiker

    Bentbiker Guest

    did Freddie leave Easyracers under amicable terms?