Calhoun Cycles Luke & icebikes on TV

Bill B

Guest
I set my VCR to record Luke and his ice bikes that were featured on the today show. It was so cool
to actually see and hear luke. He brought two ice bikes,a folding upright and a Bike E FX. Both
bikes had studded rear tires and ice skate blades that replaced the front wheel. Soledad[sp]O'brien
and David Bloom [brothe & sister]raced each other two laps around the rink. Soledad rode the Bike E
[she had trouble steering] and David rode the upright. The segment also had some footage of Lukes
group on the lake. The ice bikes look like they are a lot of fun. Luke sure seems to be a really
nice guy.Closing music was "I want to ride my Bicycle"

[email protected] (Bill B) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I set my VCR to record Luke and his ice bikes that were featured on the today show. It was so cool
> to actually see and hear luke. He brought two ice bikes,a folding upright and a Bike E FX. Both
> bikes had studded rear tires and ice skate blades that replaced the front wheel.

Actually the BikeE had Luke's "Secret weapon" Carding cloth glued to the rear tire. Grips like
velcro if the ice is clean and cold, without wasting energy pokeing holes in the ice. Clogs up a bit
of it's warmer though.

> Soledad[sp]O'brien and David Bloom [brothe & sister]raced each other two laps around the rink.
> Soledad rode the Bike E [she had trouble steering]

I'm going to give him so much **** about not putting EvoBars and an EvoE offset stem on the BikeE.
They really shorten up the learning curve.

BTW in case neither of them liked the 'bent he brought my latest creation,
http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2003/Scooter.jpg The folder was Ron Cooper's "Ice Birdy"
http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2002/IceBirdy.jpg

>and David rode the upright. The segment also had some footage of Lukes group on the lake.

It be accurate, it's not "Luke's group". The races were cooked up in the sleep deprived minds of
Dave Krafft and Ray Brick on the long drive back from the last HPV race of the season in Ohio,
back in 1990.

A relative latecomer, Luke is one of the top competitors, finishing 2nd overall in 2001 & 2002.
(Beaten both years by his own {much younger} employees, riding machines I'd loaned them ;-)

>The ice bikes look like they are a lot of fun.

The footage shown was the start of the circuit race for the new "Rubber Only" class. Much slipping,
sliding, skidding and spinning.

You can see last year's races at http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2002/Ice2002.html

I don't have a web page up yet for this year's event yet, but we had a much larger turnout, and even
wilder machinery. In addition to the machines raced last year, we had ; a Carbon fiber tadpole ice
machine http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2003/ev1B.jpg an SWB FWD RWS ice delta
http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2003/ray1.jpg and many others.

The new "Rubber only" class brought out 3 Ididarod type bikes
http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2003/Idita.jpg a Zem http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2003/Zem3.jpg a 1897 Tinkham
upright fixed gear racing trike http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2003/Tinkham.jpg an upright fully suspended
tadpole http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2003/MarkWTrike.jpg a clone of the Hannebrink Extreme Terrain
http://mnhpva.org/ice/Ice2003/StilesFat.jpg but with even bigger ATV tires Plus 4 recumbents linked
together to from two sociable quads and several recumbent tadpoles.

>Luke sure seems to be a really nice guy.

He always brings his homebuilt stuff to our meetings, http://mnhpva.org/meetings/meetings.html Never
the 'bents he sells at the shop.