(California) Need UNi Trials riders for Keyesville Bike trials event

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by teachndad, Jan 24, 2006.

  1. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Hi,

    I am hoping to organize a group of uni trials riders to compete in the
    Keyesville Bike trials event on March 18 and 19, 2006. At the same
    time, there will be a large MTB race in the area as well. It is near
    Lake Isabella just outside Bakersfield, California. It’s about
    1.5 - 2 hours north of Los Angeles. Not sure of the distance from the
    San Francisco Bay area – anyone know?

    Right now the information is still sketchy. I am in contact with the
    organizers, but I need to know if there is any serious interest in
    competing. They will set up a separate class for us if we have at
    least three riders. I think it would be great if we could show up with
    much more.

    Here is a photo of one of the riding areas. Below is a brief
    description written by one of the promoters – Zak Maeda.

    [image:
    http://www.observedtrials.net/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=3739&stc=1&d=1137892499]

    The Keyesville Classic is located in the California Sierra town of Lake
    Isabella, which is approximately 30 miles East of Bakersfield. Closest
    big airport is Burbank Bob Hope Airport. From there it's about a 1 1/2
    hr drive.

    Closest motel is the Isabella Motel. They fill up fast, so call soon,
    if you're definite about coming. 760) 379-2800. There is free camping
    on site, on some of the most beautiful terrain imaginable. There are
    clean permanent pit toilets, but camping is primitive. You need to
    bring water, tent, etc. Lots of free riding and tons of sessioning. At
    night there are numerous campfires, it's a pretty sociable group. There
    are grocery stores, fast food, gas, etc in Lake Isabella, a short 5
    minute drive.

    Sections are built on big granite rocks, some water, loose sandy
    riverbeds. This is NOT the event to move up a class, as the sections
    tend to be tough and challenging. Thanks Tim, for posting the great
    photo...this is only one of about 10 big rocky areas we use. The loop
    tends to be on the long side, with 6-8 sections. Weather can be cold &
    windy, or hot & sunny at this time of year...pretty hard to predict. It
    will be a fun time!

    Post your name if interested. Please post any questions and I will try
    to get them answered. I have been hoping to get some sort of West
    Coast Trials comp started for Unicycles, maybe this will be a
    beginning.

    BTW, there is also a 5 weekend series in Fontana California beginning
    January 28 and running every weekend for the next 5 weeks.

    Cheers

    --
    teachndad

    Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
    (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
    'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  2. I'm in if there's any other bay area riders interested in going down
    there. Might Corbin be interested? If so, I might be able to hitch a
    ride with him. If not, well, I won't be there. Anyways, I'll e-mail
    Corbin, so hopefully that'll be two riders.

    Bevan

    --
    gerblefranklin

    Nick's main man.

    "I love freedom dearly, ideally, in theory, but in reality we're not
    there yet--Not nearly."--Cold Duck Complex

  3. corbin

    corbin Guest

  4. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

  5. Jester2000

    Jester2000 Guest

    Bummer! I have my French final on that day! (4pm)

    Good work in organizing such an event though, Rod!

    Later,

    Jess

    --
    Jester2000

    'unicyclejester.com' (http://www.unicyclejester.com) | 'busteduni.com'
    (http://www.busteduni.com) | 'primitivepictures.net'
    (http://www.primitivepictures.net) | 'teamprimitive.com'
    (http://www.teamprimitive.com)
    The next installment coming *SOON* to a browser near you. It's going
    to be BIG!
    My Photos! 'Trip to WA'
    (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/wa_trip/) | 'Santa Barbara'
    (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/s_barb_july_05/) | 'Dan Heaton'
    (http://www.unicyclejester.com/gallery/dan_heaton_visits)
    Jester2000's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3662

  6. mango

    mango Guest

    Wooooo im in! I got that day off work too. This is gonna be slick.

    Ill probably bring at least one of the other san diego boys too. Im
    gonna need someone to keep me company on the drive too, right? haha
    Just kidding, i want them to ride too.

    Thanks for the information on this, Rod. And keep us updated.
    -erik

    --
    mango

    *Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  7. mango

    mango Guest

    Wooooo im in! I got that day off work too. This is gonna be slick.

    Ill probably bring at least one of the other san diego boys too. Im
    gonna need someone to keep me company on the drive too, right? haha
    Just kidding, i want them to ride too.

    Thanks for the information on this, Rod. And keep us updated.
    -erik

    --
    mango

    *Neener, neener, neener. *-harper
    mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

  8. markf

    markf Guest

  9. markf

    markf Guest

  10. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    mango wrote:
    > Wooooo im in!

    I can already see it... mango's gonna take the "highest drop"
    competition to the next level, being the first unicyclist to leave a
    crater where he landed. I can't wait to be a part of history!

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  11. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    mango wrote:
    > Wooooo im in!

    I can already see it... mango's gonna take the "highest drop"
    competition to the next level, being the first unicyclist to leave a
    crater where he landed. I can't wait to be a part of history!

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  12. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Mannnn! What a great response!:)

    I am currently waiting back for more details. I will keep everyone
    posted.

    Stay "tuned"

    Cheers.

    --
    teachndad

    Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
    (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
    'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  13. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    i dunno what team truckee'll think, but i'll see if we can get together
    for that... but we might be preparing for moab...

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Matt.
    BUY SUPERUNI SHIRTS ON ZAZZLE.COM!
    'NEW, \"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirt out! BUY NOW AT ZAZZLE.com!'
    (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
    "abababilbel" - General Dibbles
    "Water. Duck's back. Yeah." -- GILD
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  14. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    All right.

    Here is the most recent response from Zak Maeda, the organizer:

    "You guys are free to ride our sections. I dont really know how a
    unicycle trials is scored, so I guess the rules and dabs would totally
    be up to you guys. The sections will be up by Friday the 17th. So you
    guys can come check the sections out and decide what classes and
    whatnot you want to ride. Keep in mind that Keyesville is usually one
    of the harder comps so for the pro and expert sections there are some
    big moves. But like usual the sport and beginner classes are mellow and
    not to big."

    Zak Maeda

    I don't know the first thing about scoring for trials, so I am not sure
    what to do. Suggestions? This is all new to me. It think there is a
    registration fee per rider, so I will look into that.

    Post any questions that you may have and I will get answers.

    Cheers.

    --
    teachndad

    Rod Wylie 'MountainUnicyclingLA.com'
    (http://www.mountainunicyclingla.com)
    'Greater Los Angeles Area Trails - Images'
    (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/Greater-Los-Angeles-Trails)
    'UnicycleRoundupLA.com/' (http://unicycleroundupla.com/)
    teachndad's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/56

  15. I don't know about scoring for trials, I'd just love to ride on that
    stuff!

    You could search a lot of Kris Holms stuff on unitrials scoring/rules.

    --
    forrestunifreak

    I do not believe in computer programers.
    'My gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/bbf9x)

    "If I am ever that good I will be in a constant state of crapping my
    pants." ~ koebwil

  16. maestro8

    maestro8 Guest

    teachndad wrote:
    > I don't know the first thing about scoring for trials, so I am not sure
    > what to do. Suggestions? This is all new to me. It think there is a
    > registration fee per rider, so I will look into that.

    Trials rules, scoring, etc. written by Kris Holm for UNICON:
    http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/rulebook/trials.html

    --
    maestro8

    Groucho Marx

  17. LessIsMore

    LessIsMore Guest

    teachndad wrote:
    > Mannnn! What a great response!:)
    >
    > I am currently waiting back for more details. I will keep everyone
    > posted.
    >
    > Stay "tuned"
    >
    > Cheers.

    Two or three of my sons and I would like to join in the fun. How do we
    register for the competition and book camp sites?
    Most likely we will be driving up Fri night, leaving Sun. Not sure what
    levels
    we should register for.
    Any advice or info would be much appreciated

    --
    LessIsMore

    3 degrees of freedom
    LessIsMore's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6864

  18. abbabibble

    abbabibble Guest

    i may try to get down there with a parent.
    excuse me if this is already writted, but does it cost anything to
    enter?

    --
    abbabibble

    Cheers, Matt.
    'NEW, \"Ninjas. Unicycles. Yeah.\" Shirts are out! BUY NOW AT
    ZAZZLE.com!' (http://tinyurl.com/954wy)
    *"Water. Duck's back. Yeah."* -- GILD
    Habbywall, that-a-way -------------->':cool:'
    (http://www.nickjantz.2ya.com) Kristine is that-a-way, too.
    ----------->X
    *"LX seats are as comfortable as bricks."* lildude2 *PANIC
    BUTTON-->':eek: ' (http://www.geocities.com/abbabibble/mrtsb.html)*
    abbabibble's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10751

  19. teachndad

    teachndad Guest

    Wow, more riders, this is sooooo great. I am really busy today, but if
    I have some time at lunch I can update with the details. Otherwise,
    expect an answer late tonight between 10:00 pm and Midnight PST.

    Cheers!

    All for ONE and ONE for all.