California rides

Per LöWdin

Guest
Hi
We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice on
cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and hope that we can
find places with nice singletrack where we can hang around, camp and ride
without luggage between the road rides. Did a similar ride last year in
Colorado http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm

All suggestions are utterly welcome, especially with regard
to places with good singletrack, and safe bike friendly
roads and routes.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:

> We are flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need
> some advice on cycling routes in California. We will ride
> with BOBs and hope that we can find places with nice
> singletrack where we can hang around, camp and ride
> without luggage between the road rides.

There are some very nice mountain roads on the San Francisco
Peninsula, within a few miles of the San Francisco Airport.
Most of the offf-road biking is on fire roads, but there is
decent singletrack here and there.

There are a few camping spots scattered throughout the area.
Big Basin is probably the most popular. You should pick up a
couple of important maps, made by Krebs Cycle Products:

San Francisco Peninsula and Santa Cruz Mountains Mountain
Biking Map

This covers San Franciso to Santa Cruz in great detail. This
map will get you on the best biking roads:

South San Francisco Bay and Monterey Bay Areas Bicycle
Touring Map

You should be able to find both of these in any local
bike shop.

This web site will be useful in helping you find a
camping spot:

http://www.parks.ca.gov/parkindex/

Thanks Terry, very useful info, should add that we will not
stay in the bay area for long, got seven weeks and can
easily bike 80 miles a day, longer if it is not mountainous.
Would like to find some spots with really nice singletrack.

Per http://lowdin.nu

[email protected]...

Per Löwdin wrote:

> Thanks Terry, very useful info, should add that we will
> not stay in the bay area for long, got seven weeks and can
> easily bike 80 miles a day, longer if it is not
> mountainous. Would like to find some spots with really
> nice singletrack.

My knowledge of California MTB trails outside the Bay
Area isn't extensive. You should get better information
in alt.mountain-bike.

What means "BOB"? Bringing your own bike/s?

Do you mean that you will arrive in SF with 7 weeks to ride?
If so, are you looking for touring rides? 80 miles of
mountain biking per day could take you quite far.

It is cool close to the coast (54 degrees F. outside our
door here in Berkeley at 8 PM and foggy). It can be chilly
and windy (especially strong wind from NW along the coast
typically starting late morning and lasting until maybe 6
PM). Not far inland from us was 104 today, which you might
want to bear in mind. If I rode my bike about 20 minutes
east from where we live in NE Berkeley the weather would
change from cool and foggy to hot and clear.

The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley
Hills, east of SF, have many biking trails and maps are
available, but I think they are more suitable for day rides.
Similar parks North and South Bay.

How far do you want to go - one long ride or several shorter
ones? If you want to take a longer ride I would suggest
heading north near the coast (avoiding State Highway 1 as
much as possible) along lesser-used roads and including as
much trail ride as possible along the way. I have some of my
own favorite routes which I could suggest, but they are
mostly small, paved roads. Much beauty south down the
peninsula, but if you are planning a longer ride heavy
traffic will be difficult to avoid.
--
Steve Juniper

"Those who are willing to sacrifice a little freedom
for greater security deserve neither."
-

- Benjamin Franklin
--

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Hi We are
flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice
on cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and
hope that we can find places with nice singletrack where we
can hang around, camp and ride without luggage between the
road rides. Did a similar ride last year in Colorado
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm

All suggestions are utterly welcome, especially with regard
to places with good singletrack, and safe bike friendly
roads and routes.

Per http://lowdin.nu

There are many good choices for single track either in the
Sierra or on the coast. The crossing between caost and
Sierra on mountain bikes is a pretty tough thing, especially
in summer heat. I would advise you to cross the central
valley some way other than on bike (Amtrak, car, bus, etc),
unless you don't mind killing a few days.

On the coast, probably the best single track in the
(southern) Bay area is in a couple of places with camping
more or less nearby. Modest amounts (2 -3 hours worth,
without repeating trails) of good single track can be found
in El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve, Wilder
Ranch, the Soquel Demonstration Forest and a few things
around Santa Cruz. I suppose it's possible to bike to
Butano, or Portola State park or Big Basin from some of
those and camp.

Henry Coe State Park (SE of San Jose) is quite large. You
could explore and camp there for days. There is lots of
great singletrack, ample filterable spring water, extremely
strenuous and rugged terrain, limited facilities, mountain
lions and more than a good chance of getting heat
exhaustion. Be careful about riding mid day and carry water
and a filter. Some of the springs even offer good swimming
opportunities, but it is a little late in the year for that.

I hear good things about Annadel State Park in Sonoma, but
don't know it myself.

The Sierra is a whole other, bigger thing and perhaps your
best bet for a longer stay. Downieville, the Flume trail,
Mr. Toad's, lots of stuff in National Forests. There are
books available on this in Bay Area bike shops. National
Forest are perfect for camping.

Don't ask me about Southern Cal., but it's another
possibility.

Boris

[email protected]...

"Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> What means "BOB"? Bringing your own bike/s?

BOB is a trailer
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Independence5.JPG

> Do you mean that you will arrive in SF with 7 weeks
> to ride?

Yes, precisely.

> If so, are you looking for touring rides? 80 miles of
> mountain biking
per day could take
> you quite far.

We want to combine touring with mountain biking, i.e., ride
along decent roads between spots with good singletrack. On
road we easily average 80 miles per day unless it is very
mountainous. Can even do 160 miles, some single day, if the
conditions are right. On singletrack distance is not really
a factor. Should emphasize that we are not going off-road
with the BOBs, intend to camp, ride some fun singletrack (as
dayrides), preferably the best in California, for a couple
of days and then continue to the next place with good
singletrack.

> It is cool close to the coast (54 degrees F. outside our
> door here in Berkeley at 8 PM and foggy). It can be chilly
> and windy (especially strong wind from NW along the coast
> typically starting late morning and lasting until maybe 6
> PM). Not far inland from us was 104 today, which you might
> want to bear in mind. If I rode my bike about 20 minutes
> east from where
we
> live in NE Berkeley the weather would change from cool and
> foggy to hot
and
> clear.

Thanks, those are things, especially about the fog, that it
is not easy to figure out over here (in Sweden).

> The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley
> Hills, east of
SF,
> have many biking trails and maps are available, but I
> think they are more suitable for day rides. Similar parks
> North and South Bay.

Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good
safe camping place, preferably privately owned, i.e..,
with showers and someone looking after the place while we
are riding.

> How far do you want to go - one long ride or several
> shorter ones?

Long rides on road, between places, many short rides on good
singletrack.

> If you want to take a longer ride I would suggest heading
> north near the coast (avoiding State Highway 1 as much as
> possible) along lesser-used roads and including as much
> trail ride as possible along the way.

Well, when we are riding with luggage we like to be on a
paved road, when we ride without we like to ride trails.

> I have some of my own favorite routes which I could
> suggest, but they are mostly small,
paved
> roads.

Please do, don´t care to ride unpaved roads with luggage,
some Americans ride off-road with BOBs and they are
adverticed as useable off-road, be that as it may, but we
will have too much weight for it to be fun, it would just be
extremely strenuous, prefer to have no luggage off-road. So,
suggestions of small paved safe roads are very welcome.
Sometimes we wonder if we are crazy taking a cycling holiday
in the promised land of the automobile?

> Much beauty south down the peninsula, but if you are
> planning a longer ride heavy traffic will be difficult
> to avoid.

If there are bike shoulders and the ride takes us somewhere
nice we can live with it.

Per

http://lowdin.nu

"Boris Foelsch" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]...
> I would advise you to cross the central valley some way
> other than on bike (Amtrak, car, bus, etc), unless you
> don't mind killing a few days.

Depends a bit on how many days it would kill, I think we can
handle the heat though it wont be too much fun, have cycled
quite a bit in SE-Asia,
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Cyclinginsoutheastasia.htm am more
worried about the traffic. On our map there seem to be only
four-lane high ways in some areas. A day or two is OK, a
week is not.

What is Amtrak´s policy with regard to bikes, we will have
two bikes and two trailers, can we just hop on a train? Or
will we have to box the bikes?

> On the coast, probably the best single track in the
> (southern) Bay area is in a couple of places with camping
> more or less nearby. Modest amounts
(2 -3
> hours worth, without repeating trails) of good single
> track can be found
in
> El Corte de Madera Creek Open Space Preserve, Wilder
> Ranch, the Soquel Demonstration Forest and a few things
> around Santa Cruz. I suppose it's possible to bike to
> Butano, or Portola State park or Big Basin from some
of
> those and camp.
>
> Henry Coe State Park (SE of San Jose) is quite large. You
> could explore
and
> camp there for days. There is lots of great
> singletrack, ample filterable spring water, extremely
> strenuous and rugged terrain, limited facilities,
> mountain lions and more than a good chance of getting
> heat exhaustion. Be careful about riding mid day and
> carry water and a filter. Some of the springs even
> offer good swimming opportunities, but it is a little
> late in the year for that.
>
> I hear good things about Annadel State Park in Sonoma, but
> don't know it myself.

Thanks, I am taking notes. Think I can google up some of
those places. Will have to get a better map.

> The Sierra is a whole other, bigger thing and perhaps your
> best bet for a longer stay. Downieville, the Flume trail,
> Mr. Toad's, lots of stuff in National Forests.

We are absolutely going to the Sierras, and to the
Redwood empire.

> There are books available on this in Bay Area bike shops.

We will get some of those.

> National Forest are perfect for camping.
>
> Don't ask me about Southern Cal., but it's another
> possibility.

Yes, we have a vague idea that it would be nice to do a
kind of loop that includes part of the coast towards LA,
the Sierras, and then Redwood Empire. We are not purists in
any sense, that have to bike all the way, a day or two in
the Central Valley will be fun, after all we are tourists
so it is news to us, but more than that may be a terrible
bore, so if we can hop on a train or a bus without to much
hassle, and get to an area with better cycling we will
gladly do that.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Per Löwdin wrote:

> Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good
> safe camping place, preferably privately owned, i.e..,
> with showers and someone looking after the place while we
> are riding.

There are not that many private campgrounds in the state,
mostly state parks. KOA is one of the private chains:

http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/ca/

Terry Morse wrote:

> Per Löwdin wrote:
>

>>Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good
>>safe camping place, preferably privately owned, i.e..,
>>with showers and someone looking after the place while we
>>are riding.
>

> There are not that many private campgrounds in the state,
> mostly state parks. KOA is one of the private chains:
>
> http://www.koakampgrounds.com/where/ca/

I'd disagree slightly; there are many private campgrounds,
but most cater more to RVs than to tent campers. In any
event, I almost always greatly prefer our publicly-owned
campgrounds to the private ones. Many of the private
campgrounds seem like little more than parking lots full of
RVs and maybe a few small spaces in which it's possible to
pitch a tent. In contrast, public campgrounds are generally
in beautiful natural surroundings with much more spacious
sites. Most have showers although many are coin-operated
(have some quarters handy). I've never had a problem with
leaving camping gear during the day in our park
campgrounds. In addition to the regular park staff many
have "Camp Hosts" - usually retired people who stay at the
campground free in exchange for keeping an eye on things
and helping other campers.

The main problem with the park campgrounds is that the more
popular ones are frequently full. Some of the state parks
have special "Hike and Bike" spaces set aside for people who
arrive by foot or bicycle which don't require any
reservation. Stays are usually limited to a couple days.

> I'd disagree slightly; there are many private campgrounds,
> but most cater more to RVs than to tent campers. In any
> event, I almost always greatly prefer our publicly-owned
> campgrounds to the private ones.

Well, last year in Colorado we found that the USF camp
grounds there tended to be in extremely beautiful spots, but
rarely had showers (hot or warm), and most problematic kind
of presumed that you had a car.

Per http://lowdin.nu

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:%ktGc.4347

> Yes, we have a vague idea that it would be nice to do a
> kind of loop that includes part of the coast towards LA,
> the Sierras, and then Redwood
Empire.
> We are not purists in any sense, that have to bike all the
> way, a day or
two
> in the Central Valley will be fun, after all we are
> tourists so it is news to us, but more than that may be a
> terrible bore, so if we can hop on a train or a bus
> without to much hassle, and get to an area with better
> cycling we will gladly do that.

This all sounds extremely ambitious! You're going south,
north and to the Sierra? Wow. As already mentioned, you may
be spanning quite a temperature range, but you won't see
much rain, except coastal fog drip, which can be heavy. You
will be thirsty most of the time.

Maybe you can cross the central valley further north (toward
Mt Shasta), where it's narrower and the traffic is a lot
less. You could work your way up the coast mountain ranges
and redwoods and then head east toward the northern Sierra.

One important point is that singletrack is either hiking
trail in wilderness where you're usually not allowed to
bicycle or is in more heavily used areas where bicycles are
more common. You'll find lots of jeep trails and fire roads
in the national forests of the Sierra, but single track may
be hit and miss, except around Lake Tahoe or other more
developed areas.

I don't know about Amtrak and bikes, but I wouldn't expect
European style service. Check this. http://www.amtrak.com/plan/baggage-
checked.html

Per Löwdin wrote:
>>I'd disagree slightly; there are many private campgrounds,
>>but most cater more to RVs than to tent campers. In any
>>event, I almost always greatly prefer our publicly-owned
>>campgrounds to the private ones.
>

> Well, last year in Colorado we found that the USF camp
> grounds there tended to be in extremely beautiful spots,
> but rarely had showers (hot or warm), and most problematic
> kind of presumed that you had a car.

Yes, US Forest Service campgrounds tend to be more primitive
although there are quite a few exceptions. State and
National Park campgrounds usually have showers and other
amenities - as do many of the campgrounds run by local
municipalities and counties. I'd suggest you plan an
approximate itinerary and then do a web search for
appropriate camping facilities.

One thing you should be aware of is that most parks in the
US are public and primitive by European standards. I found
the private parks in France especially civilized and a good
value with very clean, functional toilet/shower facilities
and even decent restaurants or snack bars with resaonble
prices. Except for large, popular, campgrounds, here there
will be no showers and toilets will be pit-privies and no
food nearby. KOA is a big private campground chain more like
a big, busy, parking lot but with facilities. RV generators
can be annoying in US camgrounds as well.

One advantage to bicycle travel is that in forests away from
cities you can easily disappear into the woods and camp
anywhere, water permitting.

Too bad that it is generally difficult or impossible to find
up-to-date comprehensive maps for all but the most heavily
cycled areas (much opportunity for Michelin here!).

> The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley
> Hills, east of
SF,
> have many biking trails and maps are available, but I
> think they are more suitable for day rides. Similar parks
> North and South Bay.

Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good
safe camping place, preferably privately owned, i.e..,
with showers and someone looking after the place while we
are riding.

--

Steve Juniper "One of the few good things about modern
times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... "Steve Juniper"
<[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> What means "BOB"? Bringing your own bike/s?

BOB is a trailer
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Independence5.JPG

> Do you mean that you will arrive in SF with 7 weeks
> to ride?

Yes, precisely.

> If so, are you looking for touring rides? 80 miles of
> mountain biking
per day could take
> you quite far.

We want to combine touring with mountain biking, i.e., ride
along decent roads between spots with good singletrack. On
road we easily average 80 miles per day unless it is very
mountainous. Can even do 160 miles, some single day, if the
conditions are right. On singletrack distance is not really
a factor. Should emphasize that we are not going off-road
with the BOBs, intend to camp, ride some fun singletrack (as
dayrides), preferably the best in California, for a couple
of days and then continue to the next place with good
singletrack.

> It is cool close to the coast (54 degrees F. outside our
> door here in Berkeley at 8 PM and foggy). It can be chilly
> and windy (especially strong wind from NW along the coast
> typically starting late morning and lasting until maybe 6
> PM). Not far inland from us was 104 today, which you might
> want to bear in mind. If I rode my bike about 20 minutes
> east from where
we
> live in NE Berkeley the weather would change from cool and
> foggy to hot
and
> clear.

Thanks, those are things, especially about the fog, that it
is not easy to figure out over here (in Sweden).

> The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley
> Hills, east of
SF,
> have many biking trails and maps are available, but I
> think they are more suitable for day rides. Similar parks
> North and South Bay.

Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good
safe camping place, preferably privately owned, i.e..,
with showers and someone looking after the place while we
are riding.

> How far do you want to go - one long ride or several
> shorter ones?

Long rides on road, between places, many short rides on good
singletrack.

> If you want to take a longer ride I would suggest heading
> north near the coast (avoiding State Highway 1 as much as
> possible) along lesser-used roads and including as much
> trail ride as possible along the way.

Well, when we are riding with luggage we like to be on a
paved road, when we ride without we like to ride trails.

> I have some of my own favorite routes which I could
> suggest, but they are mostly small,
paved
> roads.

Please do, don´t care to ride unpaved roads with luggage,
some Americans ride off-road with BOBs and they are
adverticed as useable off-road, be that as it may, but we
will have too much weight for it to be fun, it would just be
extremely strenuous, prefer to have no luggage off-road. So,
suggestions of small paved safe roads are very welcome.
Sometimes we wonder if we are crazy taking a cycling holiday
in the promised land of the automobile?

> Much beauty south down the peninsula, but if you are
> planning a longer ride heavy traffic will be difficult
> to avoid.

If there are bike shoulders and the ride takes us somewhere
nice we can live with it.

Per

http://lowdin.nu

PS: I forgot to add that (as you may have noticed in
Colorado) most USFS and state park campgrounds here are
in some of the loveliest settings and well away from
communities and services.
--
Steve

Steve Juniper Berkeley, California "Every day above ground
is a good day!"
--

"Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:ZVAGc.32576$a24.8417@attbi_s03... One thing you should
be aware of is that most parks in the US are public and
primitive by European standards. I found the private parks
in France especially civilized and a good value with very
clean, functional toilet/shower facilities and even decent
restaurants or snack bars with resaonble prices. Except for
large, popular, campgrounds, here there will be no showers
and toilets will be pit-privies and no food nearby. KOA is a
big private campground chain more like a big, busy, parking
lot but with facilities. RV generators can be annoying in US
camgrounds as well.

One advantage to bicycle travel is that in forests away from
cities you can easily disappear into the woods and camp
anywhere, water permitting.

Too bad that it is generally difficult or impossible to find
up-to-date comprehensive maps for all but the most heavily
cycled areas (much opportunity for Michelin here!).

> The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley
> Hills, east of
SF,
> have many biking trails and maps are available, but I
> think they are more suitable for day rides. Similar parks
> North and South Bay.

Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good
safe camping place, preferably privately owned, i.e..,
with showers and someone looking after the place while we
are riding.

--

Steve Juniper "One of the few good things about modern
times: If you die horribly on television, you will not have
died in vain. You will have entertained us." -- Kurt
Vonnegut --

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... "Steve Juniper"
<[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> What means "BOB"? Bringing your own bike/s?

BOB is a trailer
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Independence5.JPG

> Do you mean that you will arrive in SF with 7 weeks
> to ride?

Yes, precisely.

> If so, are you looking for touring rides? 80 miles of
> mountain biking
per day could take
> you quite far.

We want to combine touring with mountain biking, i.e., ride
along decent roads between spots with good singletrack. On
road we easily average 80 miles per day unless it is very
mountainous. Can even do 160 miles, some single day, if the
conditions are right. On singletrack distance is not really
a factor. Should emphasize that we are not going off-road
with the BOBs, intend to camp, ride some fun singletrack (as
dayrides), preferably the best in California, for a couple
of days and then continue to the next place with good
singletrack.

> It is cool close to the coast (54 degrees F. outside our
> door here in Berkeley at 8 PM and foggy). It can be chilly
> and windy (especially strong wind from NW along the coast
> typically starting late morning and lasting until maybe 6
> PM). Not far inland from us was 104 today, which you might
> want to bear in mind. If I rode my bike about 20 minutes
> east from where
we
> live in NE Berkeley the weather would change from cool and
> foggy to hot
and
> clear.

Thanks, those are things, especially about the fog, that it
is not easy to figure out over here (in Sweden).

> The East Bay Park District parks in the Oakland/Berkeley
> Hills, east of
SF,
> have many biking trails and maps are available, but I
> think they are more suitable for day rides. Similar parks
> North and South Bay.

Splendid, perfect for day rides if we can find a good
safe camping place, preferably privately owned, i.e..,
with showers and someone looking after the place while we
are riding.

> How far do you want to go - one long ride or several
> shorter ones?

Long rides on road, between places, many short rides on good
singletrack.

> If you want to take a longer ride I would suggest heading
> north near the coast (avoiding State Highway 1 as much as
> possible) along lesser-used roads and including as much
> trail ride as possible along the way.

Well, when we are riding with luggage we like to be on a
paved road, when we ride without we like to ride trails.

> I have some of my own favorite routes which I could
> suggest, but they are mostly small,
paved
> roads.

Please do, don´t care to ride unpaved roads with luggage,
some Americans ride off-road with BOBs and they are
adverticed as useable off-road, be that as it may, but we
will have too much weight for it to be fun, it would just be
extremely strenuous, prefer to have no luggage off-road. So,
suggestions of small paved safe roads are very welcome.
Sometimes we wonder if we are crazy taking a cycling holiday
in the promised land of the automobile?

> Much beauty south down the peninsula, but if you are
> planning a longer ride heavy traffic will be difficult
> to avoid.

If there are bike shoulders and the ride takes us somewhere
nice we can live with it.

Per

http://lowdin.nu

Three to the top natural sights in California are: Yosemite, the redwoods
and the north coast. Here are two suggested routes that include all three:

1. Yosemite/Sierras. Get a ride east at least to Manteca not
on a weekend (I'd give you a ride that far if I'm around,
which is likely). Ride east on 120 to Yosemite Valley
(take old road left near gate through redwoods - no cars
allowed on it). Hopefully walk/bike sites are available.
If not, you could probably join someone else's site. Some
exploring by bike. At least take popular hike to Nevada
Falls. Ride back to 120 and take it east through Tioga
Pass (9945'!) (preferably fairly early in day to avoid
some tourist traffic). Many fine camp spots, exquisite
scenery. Go north on 395 over Monitor Pass to 89 (cooler
& more pleasant camping near summits - 8300', 8600'),
heading west on either 88 or 89 (note Grover Springs Hot
Springs State Park near Markleeville - worth a stop).
Continue west past Stockton through delta on 4 to Byron
to Marsh Creek Rd. Many options from this point,
including train (BART) from Concord (if interested I'd
provide more detail here).

2. Longer ride including redwoods, coast. Take bus
(www.greyhound.com) from Oakland north on I-5 to Weed
(dep Oakland 6:15 AM arr Weed 3:10 PM US$39 7 day advance
purchase + $22 for bike in box - they have box for $10).
Ride north from Weed to Gazelle, SE through mountain
forests over Gazelle Summit (4921') to small village of
Callahan. North to town of Etna (we used to live near
here). SE over Etna summit (5958') through mountains and
forests through Forks of Salmon to State Route 96 at
Somes Bar (very very few cars so far). SW on 96 to
Weitchpec. Right through Indian reservation on 169 to
Johnson Rd. Johnson Rd. to Bald Hills Rd. to 101 and
Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park (gorgeous - explore
area. Creek walks, ride to Fern Canyon, etc.). Heading
south on 101 nice county Park at Big Lagoon (we used to
live nearby). Patrick's Point SP excellent. Trinidad nice
town. Arcata very nice small city (bypass some of 101 by
taking road west to Samoa and across bridge to Eureka
(can give details). South to Ferndale (avoiding 101 as
possible). Ferndale through Petrolia to Honeydew, right
to Kings Peak Rd. to Chemise Mtn Rd to Usal Rd to SR
1(this paragraph very few cars again). Continue south
(downwind!) on SR 1 and on to San Francisco. This segment
has a number of nice and lesser-traveled alternatives,
especially left onto Stewarts Point Rd (or via Annapolis)
to Tin Barn Rd. to Kings Ridge Rd through Cazadero to
Duncan Mills on 116, Right back to SR 1 and south.

Numerous single track and mtn bike riding available
along both rides but too complex to include here - make
local inquiry.

Steve

Steve Juniper "It's nicer now that our children have
reached our age."

"Per Löwdin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... Hi We are
flying into San Francisco 14th of July and need some advice
on cycling routes in California. We will ride with BOBs and
hope that we can find places with nice singletrack where we
can hang around, camp and ride without luggage between the
road rides. Did a similar ride last year in Colorado
http://www.lowdin.nu/MTB/Colorado/Singletrack.htm

All suggestions are utterly welcome, especially with regard
to places with good singletrack, and safe bike friendly
roads and routes.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Splendid, thanks a lot, printed it out, and searched out the
routes on our map, at the moment we plan to stay a couple of
nights in San Francisco in some hotel when we arrive to
overcome the jetlag, bike a bit, and consider our options.
Would like to spend two thirds of more of our time on
singletrack (more precisely without luggage) and less than a
third on road.

The first route would give us opportunities to ride in
Mamouth and Tahoe. Though I would not want to miss northern
California.

> Continue south (downwind!) on SR 1 and on to San
> Francisco.

Is there generally a wind blowing south?

Per http://lowdin.nu

"Steve Juniper" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet
> One thing you should be aware of is that most parks in the
> US are public
and
> primitive by European standards.

Yes, we learned that last year.

> I found the private parks in France especially civilized
> and a good value with very clean, functional toilet/shower
> facilities and even decent restaurants or snack bars with
> resaonble prices. Except for large, popular, campgrounds,
> here there will
be
> no showers and toilets will be pit-privies and no food
> nearby. KOA is a
big
> private campground chain more like a big, busy, parking
> lot but with facilities. RV generators can be annoying in
> US camgrounds as well.

We will get along. After camping in no showers place for a
while we will check into a private campground or a motel
once in a while to get get clean, recharge batteries, etc.

Per http://lowdin.nu

Hi Per I wish I could be in that area 8 weeks! I have just been there
in April for two weeks ride down Highway 1 to San Luis Obispo and then
inland to the Sierra Nevada in Yosemite National Park. All great rides
that I cannot wait to do again.
You can read my tour report here
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/giannifilippini/cycling/california/california.html

For many travelogues on the Pacific coast you can go
here as well

http://www.cyclingtheworld.org/tours/searchtours.php?contin-
ent=any&country=Usa&region=&Submit=search&submitted=TRUE

Enjoy it. gianni