California to start collecting $7 for every new bike purchased

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote:

> actually they claim it is for a recycling program. You pay the $7.00 then
> when you turn in the old bike you get some money back. Interesting idea, but
> if you turn in a whole bike you should get the whole $7.00 back!
> http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20050225-9999-1n25bikefee.html
>
> Ken

Since WHEN does to cost money to recycle aluminum and steel? It's
refined metal and people pay to _buy_ it. Seriously, help me out here.

..max

--
the part of <[email protected]>
was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

Well in the article they claim that the landfills are getting jammed with
250,000 bikes a year and this would reduce that number. But yeah you got it
right about people paying for the metals used in bikes.

Ken

"Max" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > actually they claim it is for a recycling program. You pay the $7.00

then
> > when you turn in the old bike you get some money back. Interesting idea,

but
> > if you turn in a whole bike you should get the whole $7.00 back!
> > http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20050225-9999-1n25bikefee.html
> >
> > Ken

> Since WHEN does to cost money to recycle aluminum and steel? It's
> refined metal and people pay to _buy_ it. Seriously, help me out here.
>
> .max
>
> --
> the part of <[email protected]>
> was played by maxwell monningh 8-p

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 06:55:15 -0500, "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>actually they claim it is for a recycling program. You pay the $7.00 then
>when you turn in the old bike you get some money back. Interesting idea, but
>if you turn in a whole bike you should get the whole $7.00 back!
>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20050225-9999-1n25bikefee.html
>
>Ken

And what is the proposed fee when you buy an automobile or 'light
truck' (i.e. SUV)?

A bike weighs 30-40 pounds. An auto maybe 3000 pounds? So that's a
$700 fee for each auto?

Max wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>actually they claim it is for a recycling program. You pay the $7.00 then
>>when you turn in the old bike you get some money back. Interesting idea, but
>>if you turn in a whole bike you should get the whole $7.00 back!
>>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20050225-9999-1n25bikefee.html
>>
>>Ken

> Since WHEN does to cost money to recycle aluminum and steel? It's
> refined metal and people pay to _buy_ it. Seriously, help me out here.
>
> .max

Yup, it's a scam. I think the objective is to let people know that
they CAN recycle it though. Too many people will recycle all of their
cans but not think about other things they can recycle.

I like more agressive initiatives like the Working Bikes cooperative
here in Chicago. They take donated bikes, recycle the crummy ones, sell
fixed-up used bikes, and ship the remainder to the Ivory Coast.

-C

Sounds like the Working Bike coop is a much better plan! I would gladly
donate my old unwanted unloved bike to someone that might make it useful
again for someone.

Ken

"Collin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Max wrote:
> > In article <[email protected]>,
> > "Ken Marcet" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>actually they claim it is for a recycling program. You pay the $7.00

then
> >>when you turn in the old bike you get some money back. Interesting idea,

but
> >>if you turn in a whole bike you should get the whole $7.00 back!
> >>http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/state/20050225-9999-1n25bikefee.html
> >>
> >>Ken

> > Since WHEN does to cost money to recycle aluminum and steel? It's
> > refined metal and people pay to _buy_ it. Seriously, help me out here.
> >
> > .max
> >

> Yup, it's a scam. I think the objective is to let people know that
> they CAN recycle it though. Too many people will recycle all of their
> cans but not think about other things they can recycle.
>
> I like more agressive initiatives like the Working Bikes cooperative
> here in Chicago. They take donated bikes, recycle the crummy ones, sell
> fixed-up used bikes, and ship the remainder to the Ivory Coast.
>
> -C

> California to start collecting $7 for every new bike purchased

That is false. One assemblywoman is proposing a new fee which probably will
not be approved. Even if it is approved, they aren't going to start
collecting any time soon.

Okay so I jumped the gun somewhat. Sue me!