Call for Cyclists Arrested in NYC Around the Week of the RNC

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.soc' started by TIME'S UP! (via Jym Dyer), Sep 2, 2004.

  1. TIME'S UP! is collecting info to get legal support to cyclists.

    Over the past week, the NYPD has targeted cyclists and made
    nearly 400 bike arrests. They've confiscated even more bikes,
    in some cases cutting locks and taking bikes that were
    purportedly ridden by "protestors." On Sunday, August 29th,
    without prior notification and without providing justification,
    the NYPD instituted a "bike-frozen zone" between 34th St. and
    59th St., west of 6th Avenue Our confiscated bikes are being
    held in a facility in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, and many of them
    are not scheduled to be released until our court dates, in some
    cases months from now.

    Because the mass defense legal teams are swamped with the total
    number of arrests, they've requested that TIME'S UP! help them
    distinguish those arrested on bikes from those arrested without
    bikes. At this point we're collecting names, contact details,
    and those arrest details that you're comfortable giving. We're
    consulting with lawyers and, if there is a reasonable case,
    we'll potentially file a civil suit in defense of cyclists.

    For the next few weeks, we'll be hosting informal meetings with
    legal advisers and lawyers at the 49 E. Houston Street space,
    beginning today, Thursday, September 2nd at 6:30 p.m. If you
    were arrested while riding a bike, please contact us and please
    come to the meetings.

    For those who were arrested, we have a limited supply of
    bicycles to loan at no charge.

    You can email Jym Dyer <[email protected]> to contact us. Don't
    send any information that's best discussed only with a lawyer.

    o If you were arrested, were a witness to bike arrests, or
    witnessed the bike frozen zone, write "attn: Anne Eller"
    on your message.

    o If you have video footage or still photos that document
    bike arrests, write "attn: Mike Green" on your message.

    o If you are a lawyer and want to help at any point in the
    process, write "attn: Matthew Roth" on your message.

    <_Jym_>

    Tags:

  2. Acamy Sfewy

    Acamy Sfewy Guest

    "Ken [NY)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 02 Sep 2004 11:30:36 -0700, "TIME'S UP!" (via Jym Dyer)
    > <[email protected]> claims:
    >
    > >TIME'S UP! is collecting info to get legal support to cyclists.
    > >
    > >Over the past week, the NYPD has targeted cyclists and made
    > >nearly 400 bike arrests. They've confiscated even more bikes,
    > >in some cases cutting locks and taking bikes that were
    > >purportedly ridden by "protestors." On Sunday, August 29th,
    > >without prior notification and without providing justification,
    > >the NYPD instituted a "bike-frozen zone" between 34th St. and
    > >59th St., west of 6th Avenue Our confiscated bikes are being
    > >held in a facility in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, and many of them
    > >are not scheduled to be released until our court dates, in some
    > >cases months from now.

    They took the risk, and the leaders wanted the get arrested, that is why
    they are asking for dirt now, to make political poop out of it. Keep them in
    Jail, and give them a big fine too.

    Blocking ambulances you should be ashamed.