Call for more urban speed cameras

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Ian, Jun 17, 2003.

  1. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot more
    of them in urban situations, some of the revenue raised could be used to improve direct traffic
    free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".

    Ian

    Tags:

  2. Andrew B

    Andrew B Guest

    "aye"

    The money could also go to families that have been destroyed by cagers !

    Andrew B

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB14D90E.5F46%[email protected]...
    Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot more
    of them in urban situations, some of the revenue raised could be used to improve direct traffic
    free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".

    Ian

  3. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing

    A first! Mohammed Saeed Al-Smith persuading somebody of something!

    > there should be a lot more of them in urban situations, some of the
    revenue
    > raised could be used to improve direct traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".

    Aye!

    --
    Guy
    ===

  4. "Andrew B" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "aye"
    >
    > The money could also go to families that have been destroyed by cagers !
    >
    > Andrew B
    >
    > "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB14D90E.5F46%[email protected]...
    > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot
    > more of them in urban situations, some of the revenue raised could be used to improve direct
    > traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".
    >
    > Ian

    Some of it could be put to good use re-educating top-posters who don't mark quotation.

  5. "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB14D90E.5F46%[email protected]...
    > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot more
    > of them in urban situations,

    Most certainly

    >some of the revenue raised could be used to improve direct traffic free cycle routes, all in favour
    >say "aye".

    Which is certainly better than giving the police the money (which is one of my gripes about the
    implementation of speed cameras)

  6. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > A first! Mohammed Saeed Al-Smith persuading somebody of something!

    Not at all. He persuaded me threads that feature a lot of his posts weren't worth my while reading
    some time ago now.

    Pete.

    p.s., aye!

    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  7. Tony W

    Tony W Guest

    "Ian" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:BB14D90E.5F46%[email protected]...
    > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot more
    > of them in urban situations, some of the
    revenue
    > raised could be used to improve direct traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".

    Interesting. Reverse Trolling designed to cause annoyance to the Trolls. Like it.

  8. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Ian wrote:
    > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot more
    > of them in urban situations, some of the revenue raised could be used to improve direct
    > traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".

    Aye added to sig file for posterity.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  9. On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 14:41:18 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot more
    > of them in urban situations, some of the revenue raised could be used to improve direct traffic
    > free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".

    Aye. Especially if the amount of fines are increased.

    --
    DG

    Bah!

  10. Not Me

    Not Me Guest

    Ian deftly scribbled:

    > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot more
    > of them in urban situations,

    Nay.

    > some of the revenue raised could be used to improve direct traffic free cycle routes, all in
    > favour say "aye".

    A laudable aim .. ;)

    --
    Digweed

  11. John B

    John B Guest

    Ian wrote:

    > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing,

    So P**l Sm**h has a use.

    > I think there should be a lot more of them in urban situations, some of the revenue raised could
    > be used to improve direct traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".

    Aye ... and preferably hidden.

    John B

  12. "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ian wrote:
    >
    > > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing,
    >
    > So P**l Sm**h has a use.
    >
    > > I think there should be a lot more of them in urban situations, some of the
    revenue
    > > raised could be used to improve direct traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".
    >
    > Aye ... and preferably hidden.

    Surely the aim is to stop people speeding more than it is to catch those who do?

  13. John B

    John B Guest

    Nathaniel Porter wrote:

    > "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Ian wrote:
    > >
    > > > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing,
    > >
    > > So P**l Sm**h has a use.
    > >
    > > > I think there should be a lot more of them in urban situations, some of the
    > revenue
    > > > raised could be used to improve direct traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".
    > >
    > > Aye ... and preferably hidden.
    > >

    > Surely the aim is to stop people speeding more than it is to catch those who do?

    I agree completely.

    With highly visible cameras drivers will/can speed withour fear of being caught between the cameras
    and then slow down at the camera site. If they don't know where the cameras are situated they need
    to drive below the limits _all_ the time to avoid penalty.

    IMO this is a better solution.

    Another answer could be to have every inch of every road under surveillance, then it would not
    matter if they were hidden or not.

    Of course if drivers obeyed the HC then they would have nothing to fear anyway.

    John B

  14. Garry Broad

    Garry Broad Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:05:10 +0100, "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Ian wrote:
    >>
    >> > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing,
    >>
    >> So P**l Sm**h has a use.
    >>
    >> > I think there should be a lot more of them in urban situations, some of the
    >revenue
    >> > raised could be used to improve direct traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".
    >>
    >> Aye ... and preferably hidden.
    >>

    >Surely the aim is to stop people speeding more than it is to catch those who do?

    Guess that's the education argument again. Mind you, how many of us volunteer to *learn* unless
    we're really interested?

    Personally, I actually think the situation will never improve until it implodes, (yes, I'm a
    pessimistic old toad) as 'The Government' <any damn government> realizes <as they did years ago>
    that it's a lucrative business this motoring lark. More and more opportunites to raise revenue by
    taxing this and penalizing that. People still pay. It's not really in their interests to 'eradicate'
    the problem. Occupation of the rich will motoring be. And the people who can't afford it, they won't
    care, they'll just drive like they do now anyway!! Is there really any indication whatsoever that
    'traffic' will actually decrease henceforth?

    Boy, know what?.... these issues are too stressful for me....I'm sticking to strictly technical
    stuff in the future ....like how much better the shifting/rear derailleur is with my new 9sp 12-25
    casstte on this Cannondale here. Works like a dream. That's more like it! Nothing like decent
    shifting. Thanks.

    Garraye

  15. "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Nathaniel Porter wrote:
    >
    > > "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > So P**l Sm**h has a use.

    > > revenue
    > > >
    > > > Aye ... and preferably hidden.
    > > >

    > > Surely the aim is to stop people speeding more than it is to catch those
    who
    > > do?
    >
    > I agree completely.
    >
    > With highly visible cameras drivers will/can speed withour fear of being
    caught
    > between the cameras and then slow down at the camera site. If they don't know where the cameras
    > are situated they need to drive below
    the
    > limits _all_ the time to avoid penalty.
    >
    > IMO this is a better solution.

    But this doesn't work, despite many areas using hidden cameras.

    > Another answer could be to have every inch of every road under
    surveillance,
    > then it would not matter if they were hidden or not.

    How exactly?

    > Of course if drivers obeyed the HC then they would have nothing to fear
    anyway.

    Absolutley.

  16. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    Ian <[email protected]> wrote in news:BB14D90E.5F46%[email protected]:

    > Mr. Smith has convinced me that speed cameras are a good thing, I think there should be a lot more
    > of them in urban situations, some of the revenue raised could be used to improve direct
    > traffic free cycle routes, all in favour say "aye".

    Aye!

    One of my colleagues sent out a link earlier on this week which had a list of all the new speed
    cameras that have gone up in Edinburgh recently (about 17 news ones were turned on this week). I was
    very tempted to respond saying that anyone stupid enough to be caught by one of them, even without
    the map, deserves all they get. However, sanity prevailed, they think I'm weird enough as it is for
    not speeding in the nearby 50 zone.

    Have fun!

    Graeme

  17. Ian

    Ian Guest

    John B must be edykated coz e writed:

    > Another answer could be to have every inch of every road under surveillance, then it would not
    > matter if they were hidden or not.

    That is actually a very good idea. It would guard against all sorts, not just speeding and would
    make disputes in accident cases a lot less frequent.

    Ian

  18. "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Another answer could be to have every inch of every road under
    > surveillance,
    > > then it would not matter if they were hidden or not.
    >
    > How exactly?

    That's how could you have every inch of every road under surveillance.

    Sorry for lack of clarity!

  19. John B

    John B Guest

    Nathaniel Porter wrote:

    > "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > > Another answer could be to have every inch of every road under
    > > surveillance,
    > > > then it would not matter if they were hidden or not.
    > >
    > > How exactly?
    > >

    > That's how could you have every inch of every road under surveillance.
    >
    > Sorry for lack of clarity!

    Squillions of cameras. Of course they would have to be working ones.

    John B

  20. "John B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Nathaniel Porter wrote:
    >
    > > "Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > surveillance,
    > > >
    > > > How exactly?
    > > >

    > > That's how could you have every inch of every road under surveillance.
    > >
    > > Sorry for lack of clarity!
    >
    > Squillions of cameras. Of course they would have to be working ones.

    And who's going to pay for this?