Call for more urban speed cameras

Tony W wrote:

> But that is not another planet -- that is a hole in the space/time/logic continuum where Newtonian
> and Einsteinian models fail. It seems to exist mainly in the mushy stuff between certain ears.

"mushy stuff"? I think it's a high vacuum in there, and since nature abhors a vacuum bogons[1] are
created and coalesce in the form of exceptionally stupid ideas.

Pete.

[1] a bogon is the elementary particle of bogosity, see
http://info.astrian.net/jargon/terms/b/bogon.html
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Jim Price wrote:

> Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> > On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 08:22:40 +0100, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >>Are you suggesting he is a complete pillock?
> >

> > Wouldn't that be libellous? :p
>
> Not if he is one!

Seems he's not denying it.

John B

John B wrote:
> Jim Price wrote:
>

>>Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>>>Wouldn't that be libellous? :p
>>
>>Not if he is one!
>

> Seems he's not denying it.

I bet he only reads stuff cross posted between here and UK.tosspot, or stuff his mate tips him
off about.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Aye!.

Aye,

Fed up of daily being intimidated by speeding motorists on the 30mph stretch of road that I take to
work, when running parallel to that stretch of road and not very far away is a dual carriageway with
a 70mph limit.

I reckon the prospect of a three-figure fine would make most motorists suddenly realise that they
can abide by the speed limit.

Graham

--
Graham Steel: [email protected] Web: http://www.steelworks.org.uk

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:40:05 +0100, Ian <[email protected]> wrote:

>Just zis Guy, you know? must be edykated coz e writed:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 01:07:08 +0100, "AndyMorris" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> They should be especially marked with a large white circle, bordered in red with the applicable
>>> speed limit in large black numbers.
>>
>> That's a bit like my idea for a driving challenge: put up a number in a red circle and give
>> people penalty points if the little pointy needle thingy on the dashboard points to a bigger
>> number. I would have suggested it but the training costs in showing everybody where the pointy
>> needle thingy is seemed prohibitive.

In my last job I was driving with my boss(1) along the M4. He asked how many points I had on my
licence. When I told him none he was surprised. I used almost the exact words Guy does about
matching the number by the side of the road with the one with the pointy needle thing.

>Alistair Darling seems set on fitting satellite tracking devices to all motor vehicles in the U.K.,
>so the camera issue will be academic, seems like a good idea to me, keeping the cagers in line.

My new job requires me to drive alot. The car I'm about to be issued with is already fitted with GPS
tracking, ostensibly to make recording private mileage easier. I think it reports back either by a
short range radio doofer on return to the office (having stored the voyage data on board) or by GSM
if the car is out and about. It can also be set to "phone home" if certain conditions are met, eg
excessive speed.

Tim

(1) Boss (n): decorative knob

I understand very little of what's being discussed but for some reason it's fascinating.

(Jon Thompson, urs)

Tim Hall wrote:

> My new job requires me to drive alot. The car I'm about to be issued with is already fitted with
> GPS tracking, ostensibly to make recording private mileage easier. I think it reports back either
> by a short range radio doofer on return to the office (having stored the voyage data on board) or
> by GSM if the car is out and about. It can also be set to "phone home" if certain conditions are
> met, eg excessive speed.

Once these become common......

Cager, in 'tracked' company car, hits peds/cyclists/other car at high speed causing death/injury.
Cager get done for dangerous driving, victim also sues company for providing car without
disciplining driver for previous offenses still stored on company database. Or if car is not
'tracked' sue the company for not ensuring that their employees operate the cars safely.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Ian wrote:

> Richard J Webb must be edykated coz e writed:
>

>>On a similar topic, they have started putting up scoreboards that flash up your speed if going too
>>fast. Seen them in Warks and Wolverhampton.
>>
>>Brilliant idea. I can see the baseball caps now, trying to beat their personal best.

Most of them are capped --- the displayed speed that is. There are quite a few of them in Australia
on highways/freeways, usually with a large sign several hundred metres in front stating 1) this is
not a legal measuring device and 2) "maximum displayed speed 107km/hr" (if in 100km/hr zone)

I've seen two different types, big, permantly fixed ones in gantries over freeways, and small ones
on trailers that are usually put at the side of local roads (50km/hr zones) to try and point out to
people that they are speeding.

Lots of arguments going on about them though; the Australian gov'mnt seems to believe that speed is
the be-all and end-all of motorist safety, the tolerance for "measured speed" is now 2km/hr over the
limit in most states(even though car speedometers can legally be up to 10% inaccurate). Various
amusing letters to editors, one last week from a motorist who claimed to have seen it display 84 as
he drove under it, then 87 for the caravan he was towing...

>>Richard Webb
>
> Do they work on bicycles?

Yes, the smaller ones do. Usually you have to angle across the road and head towards them though.
The police had one on a bike tour I was on a few years ago, lots of people sprinting at it to try
and get a personal best.

Adrian

Adrian Tritschler mailto:[email protected] Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E,
Altitude 50m, Shoe size 44

Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I bet he only reads stuff cross posted between here and UK.tosspot, or stuff his mate tips him
> off about.

I'm sorry, I seem to have missed something here. Paul Smith has a *friend*! Wonders will
never cease...

Graeme

In message <[email protected]>, al_Mossah
<[email protected]> writes
>To cover more of the road, speed cameras need to be linked. Position two cameras say 5 miles apart
>in a 60mph limit. Car passes first one, digital photo is taken, number plate is read by one of
>these rather neat number-plate readers which exist these days (currently used in police cars and
>Inner London). Motorist, having slowed to 60, speeds up to 80, and less than 5 minutes later comes
>up to second camera, for which he duly slows down. Camera takes second digital photo, reads number
>plate, cross-correlates with information from linked first camera, thinks "ah ha, here is one of
>these splendid fellows who pay to put me here". Emails both photos (duly time-stamped) to polis,
>who do the needful. Photos of law abiding motorists are deleted. Hence you only need a couple of
>cameras to cover a BIG stretch of road. And you can paint them yellow to placate the Sun readers
>who whinge about loss of civil liberties... In fact, painting them yellow then serves its purpose,
>i.e. telling motorist that for teh next indeterminate number of miles, he is marked.

Such systems already exist. The have them in Notts, I have seen them in the road works on the M62,
there are some on the A616 leading down to J35a of the M1

--
John B Wilkinson

Graeme <[email protected]> wrote:
> Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
>> I bet he only reads stuff cross posted between here and UK.tosspot, or stuff his mate tips him
>> off about.
>
> I'm sorry, I seem to have missed something here. Paul Smith has a *friend*! Wonders will never
> cease...

No, Jim Price said "his mate". It'll be a small furry animal he mates with, and you can bet he
has to wrap it in so many layers of cellotape to stop it bursting it's not prepared to call
anyone its friend.

'Cause he's a ...

Tosspot!

--
Trev

"John B Wilkinson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, al_Mossah
> <[email protected]> writes
> >To cover more of the road, speed cameras need to be linked. Position two cameras say 5 miles
> >apart in a 60mph limit. Car passes first one,
digital
> >photo is taken, number plate is read by one of these rather neat number-plate readers which exist
> >these days (currently used in police
cars
> >and Inner London). Motorist, having slowed to 60, speeds up to 80, and
less
> >than 5 minutes later comes up to second camera, for which he duly slows down. Camera takes second
> >digital photo, reads number plate, cross-correlates with information from linked first camera,
> >thinks "ah
ha,
> >here is one of these splendid fellows who pay to put me here". Emails
both
> >photos (duly time-stamped) to polis, who do the needful. Photos of law abiding motorists are
> >deleted. Hence you only need a couple of cameras
> >cover a BIG stretch of road. And you can paint them yellow to placate
the
> >Sun readers who whinge about loss of civil liberties... In fact,
painting
> >them yellow then serves its purpose, i.e. telling motorist that for teh
next
> >indeterminate number of miles, he is marked.
>
> Such systems already exist. The have them in Notts, I have seen them in the road works on the M62,
> there are some on the A616 leading down to J35a of the M1

Not used very often - it has been suggested that this is because they don't make money...

Trevor Barton <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> No, Jim Price said "his mate". It'll be a small furry animal he mates with, and you can bet he
> has to wrap it in so many layers of cellotape to stop it bursting it's not prepared to call
> anyone its friend.

Now you're just saying that so you can get on his libel list. Bestiality is a strong accusation.
Mind you, he does live near Inverness, so it's less likely to be "small and furry" than it is "large
and wooly".

Have fun!

Graeme

Graeme wrote:
> Now you're just saying that so you can get on his libel list.

"Your name vill also go on ze list. Vot is it?" "Don't tell him, Pike"

> Bestiality is a strong accusation. Mind you, he does live near Inverness, so it's less likely to
> be "small and furry" than it is "large and wooly".

Is that a mammoth accusation?

--

Graeme wrote:

> Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> > Is that a mammoth accusation?
> >

> Not *that* big! Unless someone gives him a leg up at the same time as getting a leg over.

He's getting all excited about humps at the moment on uk.tosspot.

John B

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003 20:13:03 +0100, Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote:

>Graeme wrote:
>> Jim Price <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>
>>>Is that a mammoth accusation?
>>
>> Not *that* big! Unless someone gives him a leg up at the same time as getting a leg over.
>
>Your're going to need mucho sellotape in that scenario!

Easier for the mammoth to use the sellotape on the speed-crazed lunatic, Shirley.
--
DG

Bah!