call to non-victorians re cycling laws

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, Sep 9, 2005.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
    (apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods :D)
    re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.

    Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
    laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and relevant age.

    chaars
    FD

    Tags:

  2. ritcho

    ritcho New Member

    Joined:
    May 24, 2004
    http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/trafficin...tsafertocycle/bicyclesafety/cyclingrules.html

    Bicycle laws and penalties
    Under NSW legislation a bicycle is considered as a vehicle. As such, cyclists are required to obey the road rules, including stopping at red lights or Stop signs, Giving Way as indicated by signage and giving hand signals when changing direction. As cyclists have responsibilities when using the road system, they also have the right, like other vehicles, to use the road and be shown courtesy and care by other road users.

    A bicycle means a vehicle with one or more wheels that is built to be propelled by human power through a belt, chain or gears (whether or not it has an auxiliary motor) and includes a pedicab, penny-farthing, scooter, tricycle and unicycle. See Australian Road Rules for further information.

    Cyclists also have some special rights, which include:
    Riding two abreast, no more than 1.5 m apart
    Travelling to the front of a line of traffic on the left hand side of the stopped vehicles
    Travelling in Bus Lanes and Transit Lanes. However, cyclists cannot travel in Bus Only Lanes
    Travelling on the footpath where indicated by signage
    Cycling on the footpath if the cyclist is less than 12 years old. An adult, who is riding in a supervisory capacity of a cyclist less than 12 years old, may also ride with the young cyclist on the footpath
    Turning right from the left hand lane of a multi-lane roundabout with the proviso the cyclists must give way to exiting traffic
    To be a legal road vehicle during the day, a bicycle must have:

    At least one working brake
    Either a bell or horn fitted to the bike, within easy reach and in working order
    To be a legal road vehicle at night, a bicycle must also have :

    Lights fitted and in use when riding at night - a steady or flashing white light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres and a flashing or steady red light that is clearly visible for at least 200 metres from the rear of the bike
    red rear reflector that is clearly visible for 50 metres when light is projected onto it by a vehicle's headlight on low beam
    It is compulsory to wear an approved helmet correctly when riding a bike. This applies to all cyclists, regardless of age, including children on bicycles with training wheels and any child being carried as a passenger on a bike or in a trailer.

    Failing to obey road or bicycle rules may result in a fine.

    ---

    Regards,
    Ritch

  3. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    ACT: anyone, anywhere EXCEPT
    a) pedestrian crossings
    b) within 10m of an open shop

    nowhere is it defined what a "shop" is, and how do you tell it openess from a distance anyway.

  4. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    For WA -

    from
    http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/publications/law.html
    • "Children under 12 years of age may ride on any footpath unless a no bicycles sign has been erected. Riders 12 years of age and over are not permitted to ride on a footpath.
    • Riders must keep left on shared paths and footpaths unless overtaking.
    • Riders must give way to pedestrians at all times.
      Note: pedestrians include people walking, using motorised and non-motorised wheelchairs, and people on rollerblades and skates
      .
    • At path intersections you must signal your intention to turn, and give way to motor vehicles entering or exiting an intersecting road.
    • Riders must only travel in single file on all paths, though they can travel two abreast on a road.
    • A power-assisted bicycle must not use a path when the power assistance is engaged.
    • Under the Road Traffic Code, it is an offence to speed. The Code also requires that you do not ride carelessly or recklessly.
    • Animals must not be tied to a moving bike. "
    Do you want sections of Acts etc?

    SteveA

  5. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    fanx so far peoples :D

    Its confirming my suspicions that the particular element I' concerned about isnt just unique to Vic

    Anyone in Qld, SA, Tassie and NT?
    (Do we evev HAVE anyone here in NT?)

  6. flyingdutch wrote:
    > Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
    > (apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods :D)

    So what is it like compared to beer and guiness?

  7. SomeGuy

    SomeGuy New Member

    Joined:
    May 18, 2004
    If there is no-one from NT, their road rules are probably online somewhere.

  8. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    Try asking this crew: http://www.nt.cycling.org.au/

  9. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    NT -

    from http://www.ipe.nt.gov.au/whatwedo/roadsafety/publications/pdf/safecycling.pdf

    When cycling on bicycle paths and footpaths:

    • You must keep to the left of any oncoming bicycle rider.

    • You can ride on footpaths (unless prohibited by a "No Bicycle" sign), but you must keep left and give way to pedestrians.

    • Use your bell or horn to warn others, especially when riding up behind them.

    The legislative basis (NT Traffic Act and Regs):

    85. Bicycles on footpaths

    (1) For the purposes of rule 250(1), if another law in force in the Territory purports to prohibit the riding of bicycles on footpaths, the law is ineffective unless "No Bicycles" signs are displayed to indicate the area of footpath where riding of bicycles is prohibited.

    (2) If another law in force in the Territory purports to prohibit the riding of bicycles in a public place (such as a pedestrian mall), the law is ineffective unless "No Bicycles" signs or "Road Access" signs are displayed to indicate the area where riding of bicycles is prohibited.

    Steve(in WA)A​

  10. Resound

    Resound Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > SomeGuy Wrote:
    >> If there is no-one from NT, their road rules are probably online
    >> somewhere.

    > Try asking this crew: http://www.nt.cycling.org.au/
    >

    > --
    > cfsmtb

    It's not exhaustive, but I did find this through the www.nt.gov.au website
    (they have have a specific cycling sub-site at
    http://www.ipe.nt.gov.au/whatwedo/cycling/index.html )

    http://www.ipe.nt.gov.au/whatwedo/roadsafety/publications/pdf/safecycling.pdf

  11. BrettS

    BrettS Guest

    SteveA wrote:

    > flyingdutch Wrote:
    >
    >>Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
    >>(apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods :D)
    >>re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.
    >>
    >>Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
    >>laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
    >>relevant age.
    >>
    >>chaars
    >>FD

    > For WA -
    >
    > from
    > http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/cycling/publications/law.html
    >
    > - "Children *under* 12 years of age may ride on any footpath unless a
    > no bicycles sign has been erected. Riders 12 years of age and over are
    > not permitted to ride on a footpath.

    Interesting that it doesn't allow riders over the age of 12 to ride on
    the footpath in a supervisory capacity as NSW does. I thought we had
    uniform road rules?

    --
    Brett"Breaking that rule on a weekly basis"S

  12. BrettM

    BrettM Guest

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
    > (apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods :D)
    > re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.
    >
    > Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
    > laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
    > relevant age.
    >
    > chaars
    > FD

    Go to the website of the Queensland Government Office of the
    Parlimentary Counsel for the full text. (I'm back to a 28.8k connection
    so I'm not chasing the legislation for you :)

    The two acts you are chasing are

    Transport Operations (Road Use Management) Act 1995

    &

    Transport Operations (Road Use Management - Road Rules) Regulation 1999

    Heap of sections will apply, I'm not sure what you are actually looking
    for. To paraphrase though: -

    - Object of the act - applies to the operation of vehicles on roads

    Bikes are included in the definition of vehicle. Means all sections
    apply except for some special provisions (Special Rules for Bicycles or
    some such).

    Bikes are entitled to half a traffic lane unless there is a bicycle path
    in which case they are not entitled to the traffic lane.

    Exceptions exist for Hook turns.

    Another is that cyclists may use pedestrian crossings but must dismount
    first.

    Cheers

    BrettM

  13. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2005-09-10, BrettM (aka Bruce)
    > Bikes are entitled to half a traffic lane unless ...

    Eh?? Never heard of that rule anywhere before. Glad I don't live in
    Qld.

    --
    TimC
    "The application did not fail successfully because of an error"

  14. aeek

    aeek New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2004
    at which point they are NOT a cyclist, they are a pedestrian. The national road rules are very clear on this point.

  15. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    What do the national road rules say about a cyclist who stops at a ped crossing as required. Dismounts. Crosses the crossing perpendicularly to the flow of peds, ie continues on foot in the same direction as he/she was pedalling. And then remounts and pedals off in the same direction as originally travelling?

    I haven't looked at the way the law would treat this but I am genuinely curious. Could the cyclist be done for J walking when a pedestrian in this exercise?

    And if a 12 year old can cycle on the footpath, can they cycle across a ped crossing?

    SteveA

  16. Resound

    Resound Guest

    > Bikes are entitled to half a traffic lane unless there is a bicycle path
    > in which case they are not entitled to the traffic lane.

    Does the cyclist get to choose which half? Does the lane have to be split
    lengthwise? Who gets to use the other half?

  17. "Resound" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Bikes are entitled to half a traffic lane unless there is a bicycle path
    > > in which case they are not entitled to the traffic lane.
    > >

    > Does the cyclist get to choose which half? Does the lane have to be split
    > lengthwise? Who gets to use the other half?

    I'll tell you what, you have the southern half of the northbound kerb
    lane of the Bruce Hwy and I'll have then northern half. That still
    leaves at least ten other halves for other cyclists to choose from.

    This sounds like something in the realm of native title, we were on the
    road for a long time prior to cars anyway.

    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  18. flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Came to a realisation last night at GOAT
    > (apart from the fact that that Stout is nectar of the gods :D)
    > re cycling on footpaths versus on roads.
    >
    > Can you who are of non-victorian persuasion tell me what you're
    > laws state re footpath riding (actual quotes please) and kids and
    > relevant age.
    >
    > chaars
    > FD

    FD
    Up here any cyclist, regardless of age, can ride on any footpath
    provided there is not a "no bicycles" sign (the bike, red circle and red
    slash variety).

    Here's the law:
    Riding on a footpath or shared path
    250.(1) Subject to subsection (1A), the rider of a bicycle riding on a
    footpath or shared path must--
    (a) keep to the left of the footpath or shared path unless it is
    impracticable to do so; and
    (b) give way to any pedestrian on the footpath or shared path.
    Maximum penalty--20 penalty units.
    (1A) Subsection (1) does not apply to a person riding a bicycle on a
    footpath if a local law otherwise provides.
    (2) In this section--
    "footpath" does not include a separated footpath.footpath.

    Riding to the left of oncoming bicycle riders on a path
    251. The rider of a bicycle riding on a bicycle path, footpath,
    separated footpath or shared path must keep to the left of any oncoming
    bicycle rider on the path.
    Maximum penalty--20 penalty units.

    No bicycles signs and markings
    252.(1) The rider of a bicycle must not ride on a length of road or
    footpath to which a no bicycles sign, or a no bicycles road marking,
    applies.
    Maximum penalty--20 penalty units.
    (2) A no bicycles sign, or a no bicycles road marking, applies to a
    length
    of road or footpath beginning at the sign or marking and ending at the
    nearest of the following--
    (a) a bicycle path sign or bicycle path road marking;
    (b) a bicycle lane sign;
    (c) a separated footpath sign or separated footpath road marking;
    (d) a shared path sign;
    (e) an end no bicycles sign;
    (f) the next intersection.

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  19. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Yes, and the other realisation that according to AusRoads (Dec 1, 1999), all cyclists over the age of twelve are legally road traffic. Cyclists under twelve can be accompanied by a adult whilst riding on the footpath. But motorists have to wait until seventeen+ to legally obtain a drivers license. (Opens can of worms, runs away....)

  20. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    Stole my thunder :D

    That's my realisation (mmmmm, Stout!)

    'We' have created a scenario where our kids can ride on the footpath, until they turn 12.
    Then they MUST ride on the road!?!?!?!?
    Now, these 12 year olds are (on the whole) unaware of road laws.
    The same environment by LAW they must ride on!
    They are unable/unrequired to learn these laws (nor realistically able to have the gumption, bravery, experience and such to practice them correctly?) until minimum 17yrs old!!!!!!

    So, our society has basically set up in legislation a society that actively discourages kids 12-18 to ride a bike. This is a key transition age as kids ar efar more likely to become social creatures, have part-time jobs, sporting activities, 2ndary ed places etc to get to.

    So, they (god forbid) walk, catch PT (both cool) or nag mum to chaffeur them in the Prado

    I think this law should be revised to have the Age raised to bridge that gap to 18.