Calling a Murray a Huffy

Pat

Guest
I was at a farm store today looking at zero turn mowers and all of a sudden
I realized I had called a typical cheap Wal-Mart lawn tractor a "Huffy."
Well, of course, I meant a "Murray." But, the funny thing was, the salesman
knew what I was talking about!

Pat in TX

Pat wrote:
> I was at a farm store today looking at zero turn mowers and all of a sudden
> I realized I had called a typical cheap Wal-Mart lawn tractor a "Huffy."
> Well, of course, I meant a "Murray." But, the funny thing was, the salesman
> knew what I was talking about!

I remember working at a discount department store where we sold both
Murray bicycles and Murray lawnmowers. Talk about the worst of the worst.

SMS wrote:
> Pat wrote:
>
>> I was at a farm store today looking at zero turn mowers and all of a
>> sudden I realized I had called a typical cheap Wal-Mart lawn tractor a
>> "Huffy." Well, of course, I meant a "Murray." But, the funny thing
>> was, the salesman knew what I was talking about!

> I remember working at a discount department store where we sold both
> Murray bicycles and Murray lawnmowers. Talk about the worst of the worst.

My first skinny tired bike 25 or 30 years ago was a Murray. It was
absolutely the worst bike I have ever owned. For the price back then,
about $100, it should have been a lot better. I think the next bike was
a used Diamondback (?) mountain bike. I believe I bought and sold it
for under $200, but it was hugely better, whatever the brand was.

catzz66 wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>> Pat wrote:
>>
>>> I was at a farm store today looking at zero turn mowers and all of a
>>> sudden I realized I had called a typical cheap Wal-Mart lawn tractor
>>> a "Huffy." Well, of course, I meant a "Murray." But, the funny thing
>>> was, the salesman knew what I was talking about!

>> I remember working at a discount department store where we sold both
>> Murray bicycles and Murray lawnmowers. Talk about the worst of the worst.

> My first skinny tired bike 25 or 30 years ago was a Murray. It was
> absolutely the worst bike I have ever owned. For the price back then,
> about $100, it should have been a lot better. I think the next bike was
> a used Diamondback (?) mountain bike. I believe I bought and sold it
> for under $200, but it was hugely better, whatever the brand was.

My first skinny tire bike was a child size Columbia with 5 cog
freewheel, I don't remember about the quality, but remember that it had
shimano derailers. Oh and those awful panic stop brake extentions. I
rode that thing all over until someone swiped it.

Ken

catzz66 wrote:
> SMS wrote:
>> Pat wrote:
>>
>>> I was at a farm store today looking at zero turn mowers and all of a
>>> sudden I realized I had called a typical cheap Wal-Mart lawn tractor
>>> a "Huffy." Well, of course, I meant a "Murray." But, the funny thing
>>> was, the salesman knew what I was talking about!

>> I remember working at a discount department store where we sold both
>> Murray bicycles and Murray lawnmowers. Talk about the worst of the worst.

> My first skinny tired bike 25 or 30 years ago was a Murray. It was
> absolutely the worst bike I have ever owned. For the price back then,
> about $100, it should have been a lot better. I think the next bike was
> a used Diamondback (?) mountain bike. I believe I bought and sold it
> for under $200, but it was hugely better, whatever the brand was.

IIRC, the department store I worked in as a teenager sold the Murray 10
speed for $59 (sale price of $55). This was in Jefferson's, which later
was acquired by Montgomery Ward. I remember buying a C. Itoh
(Bridgestone) 10 speed at another department store for $59 and it was
much better than the Murray, though still a department store quality bike.

SMS <[email protected]> writes:

> I remember buying a C. Itoh (Bridgestone) 10 speed at another
> department store for $59 and it was much better than the
> Murray, though still a department store quality bike.

C. Itoh made bikes? I only remember their dot matrix printers,
which were so noisy that other companies sold specially padded
boxes to put them in to reduce the racket.
--
Ben Pfaff
http://benpfaff.org

Ben Pfaff wrote:
> SMS <[email protected]> writes:
>
>> I remember buying a C. Itoh (Bridgestone) 10 speed at another
>> department store for $59 and it was much better than the
>> Murray, though still a department store quality bike.

> C. Itoh made bikes? I only remember their dot matrix printers,
> which were so noisy that other companies sold specially padded
> boxes to put them in to reduce the racket.

They made daisywheel printers too, but yes they sold bicycles. They were
made by Bridgestone. They had some higher end bikes, as well as
department store bikes, but even the department store bikes were better
than the Huffy and Murray of the era.

On May 9, 10:28 am, Ben Pfaff <[email protected]> wrote:
> SMS <[email protected]> writes:
> > I remember buying a C. Itoh (Bridgestone) 10 speed at another
> > department store for $59 and it was much better than the
> > Murray, though still a department store quality bike.

> C. Itoh made bikes? I only remember their dot matrix printers,
> which were so noisy that other companies sold specially padded
> boxes to put them in to reduce the racket.
> --
> Ben Pfaffhttp://benpfaff.org

I sold my Schwinn Sting-Ray (purchased with money from my paper route)
and bought a C. Itoh from Lechmere Sales in Cambridge, MA.
It was the best 10-speed I could afford and it was a great cycle!

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles
http://OldRoads.com