Calling all Aussies!

Vo2

Aug 11, 2001
I've heard so much about the land of the Wallaby, that I've decided I should go and have a look for myself.
So I'm asking for some advice from you Aussies, and people that have been to Australia. I have friends that live in Brisbane, so accomodation isn't a problem.
When's the best time to go? When does the off-peak season start and end? etc... etc...

Let's hear it...

Depends on how warm you like it.

Spring is pretty good all over. (September - November)

If you're going to drop in on Perth let me know. There's a lot of South Africans in Perth. I ride with a few now and then.

Will do, thanks MC.
I'll probably only come over in March-April 2004, but if I get a good deal on flight tickets, I'll come over sooner.

make sure you come up to sydney!

all the good stuff's in sydney. harbour bridge, opera house, and centre point tower, imax, aquairium etc etc.

Just don't forget that it's a big country, most people think they can just pop between cities., but there's at least 1000km between each of the capital citie (except for Canberra, which shouldn;t be on your list).

Sydney has lots of things to take photos of, Melbourne has the best restaurants in Australia and heaps of great rides. It all depends what your looking for.

Dear Shabby,

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Many Australians express their dislike for Canberra but just don't understand. We have some fabulous tourist sites, all set around a beautiful lake with picturesque mountains all around. And the riding ? Best in Australia - beautiful country roads with no traffic, mountains to climb if that's your thing, wonderful MTB playgrounds AND ALL WITHIN 15 MINUTES OF THE CITY CENTRE .......... AND THE STRONGEST & FRIENDLIEST CYCLING COMMUNITY YOU'LL EVER FIND !!!!!! You should be ashamed to make those comments to someone from overseas.
Vo2 - ignore that ****, buy a bike here, spend some time on it and you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

i think your both rong.

queesnsland: the best place to relax with beaches and theme parks (movie world, dream world, wet and wild, sea world)
sydney: most famous city with the most landmarks.
but the award for the nices state i australia go's to:

Northen territory. the most beautiful. the best way to get to know australia.

then theres those other states that i forgot to mention, cant remember what their names are.

Originally posted by old&slow
Dear Shabby,

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Many Australians express their dislike for Canberra but just don't understand. We have some fabulous tourist sites, all set around a beautiful lake with picturesque mountains all around. And the riding ? Best in Australia - beautiful country roads with no traffic, mountains to climb if that's your thing, wonderful MTB playgrounds AND ALL WITHIN 15 MINUTES OF THE CITY CENTRE .......... AND THE STRONGEST & FRIENDLIEST CYCLING COMMUNITY YOU'LL EVER FIND !!!!!! You should be ashamed to make those comments to someone from overseas.
Vo2 - ignore that ****, buy a bike here, spend some time on it and you'll thoroughly enjoy it.

You forgot to mention fireworks and ****..............

OK Shabby, let's call it a truce ......... although I've never figured out what it is about your weather, AFL or the Yarra River that you all seem to find so appealing ? I've always liked Phillip Island but maybe that's just because it's not attached to Victoria !

:D I love it!

Rivalry isn't always a bad thing. Being proud of your country and the state you live in is a good sign.

Originally posted by old&slow
OK Shabby, let's call it a truce ......... although I've never figured out what it is about your weather, AFL or the Yarra River that you all seem to find so appealing ? I've always liked Phillip Island but maybe that's just because it's not attached to Victoria !

Fair enough. I'm not an AFL fan either, especially because it dominates everything on the news. Aussies are in Yellow and Green in the tour, and have won two out of three stages, but it only gets a three second grab after the detailed analysis of some footballer's corked thigh.

As for weather, at least it's not too cold at the moment - it never gets below about 4 degrees. But yes, it's wet in winter, windy in Spring and hot in Summer.

The yarra? Well it does have a bike path along it.

As for the "nothen" territory, don't get me "rong" but I think the award for "nices people i australia go's" to Melbourne too.

Originally posted by Shabby
Fair enough. I'm not an AFL fan either, especially because it dominates everything on the news. Aussies are in Yellow and Green in the tour, and have won two out of three stages, but it only gets a three second grab after the detailed analysis of some footballer's corked thigh.

This is something I can't understand. There is a dedicated TdF channel in SA, with continous highlights throughout the night.
Why the Australian sports authorities can't realise the impact the Aussie cyclists have on the Tour, is beyond me. You guys should complain.

Yeah Blimp ..... you win ....... beautiful place, great roads, my sort of weather and some seriously cheap real estate. Pity if you need to work though. The roads around Sheffield and into the mountains there are really something, reminding me of English country lanes with the tall grass right up to the road edge. It would be a fabulous place to run a big stage race.
I work with a girl from Hobart ....... true story .... meets guy in a niteclub, get on well, few drinks, they grope each other, go home after swapping phone numbers, a second date, bit deeper 'tell me all about yourself' conversation and she senses a couple of common threads ......... IT WAS A COUSIN SHE'D NEVER MET BECAUSE OF A LONG STANDING FAMILY FIGHT !!!!! She left for the mainland soon after and is still terrified to go back.