Calling all fabric experts- soft shell rain pants?

jpinsfo

Nov 11, 2004
It has been raining here, and whenever it does that I get to thinking about getting less wet and cold on my bike commute.
My problem is that I have a pair of cycling rain pants that I can't stand to wear, principally because they don't breathe and get very clammy on even my short commute.

I have been thinking that what I really need is a pair of soft-shell rain pants. I would be willing to sacrifice complete waterproofness for breathability, but the question is- what is the right balance?

I only know as much about different soft-shell fabrics as the clothes I have managed to buy for myself, which is not many. I have a pair of Cloudveil Switchback ski pants that are great weight-wise, but would the fabric be water-resistant enough?

Assuming I could get some pants custom-made (I think I could at minimal cost), what fabric do I need? I want to stay basically dry for 1/2 hour+ in pouring down rain. The temperature rarely gets much below 50' F, so insulation is not needed so long as I keep pretty dry.

I would love to hear the group's opinions. Thanks much.

jpinsfo said:
It has been raining here, and whenever it does that I get to thinking about getting less wet and cold on my bike commute.
My problem is that I have a pair of cycling rain pants that I can't stand to wear, principally because they don't breathe and get very clammy on even my short commute.

I have been thinking that what I really need is a pair of soft-shell rain pants. I would be willing to sacrifice complete waterproofness for breathability, but the question is- what is the right balance?

I only know as much about different soft-shell fabrics as the clothes I have managed to buy for myself, which is not many. I have a pair of Cloudveil Switchback ski pants that are great weight-wise, but would the fabric be water-resistant enough?

Assuming I could get some pants custom-made (I think I could at minimal cost), what fabric do I need? I want to stay basically dry for 1/2 hour+ in pouring down rain. The temperature rarely gets much below 50' F, so insulation is not needed so long as I keep pretty dry.

I would love to hear the group's opinions. Thanks much.
Heard of Gore-tex?