Calling all Triathletes

Iron Man

Sep 19, 2005
Ok so it's a cycling forum....whatever :rolleyes:

My question is for those olympic distace athletes HOW ON EARTH do you get your feet in your cycling shoes while riding out of T1? i can get my feet out and jump off the bike for T2 fine but if anybody can share some tips on coming out of T1 without nailing yourself and half the pack......i woud be very thankful.

Iron Man said:
Ok so it's a cycling forum....whatever :rolleyes:

My question is for those olympic distace athletes HOW ON EARTH do you get your feet in your cycling shoes while riding out of T1? i can get my feet out and jump off the bike for T2 fine but if anybody can share some tips on coming out of T1 without nailing yourself and half the pack......i woud be very thankful.

You should already have your shoes on your pedals and held into a 3/9 o'clock position by a rubber band (one for each shoe) so that your shoes are not dangling and hitting the ground while you're running out of T1.

When you mount the bike you step on top of the shoes, pedal to gain some speed and get into a clear area (rubber bands should break off), insert one foot, pedal some more to maintain speed, then insert other foot.

One note: When you practice this at home your feet are usually dry but in a race they'll be wet (assuming you ride sockless), and when they're wet it's harder to slide your feet into the shoe.