Calling all unicyclists

Just Zis Guy

Guest
I am thinking of buying this:

<url:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp-
?catalogid=498>

Any comments please? Should I get the 24" model instead?

<url:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp-
?catalogid=500>

--
Guy
===

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> I am thinking of buying this:

url:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?-
catalogid=498

That's a Bogglefingers, so called because it used to be
imported jointly by Butterfingers (a juggling supply
wholesaler formerly based in Bristol, now in Devon) and
Boggle (formerly a juggling shop in Bath, where I worked as
a student).

Actually the same unicycle is known by a variety of other
names, depending on who is importing it and selling it. It's
made in Taiwan and is probably the most popular beginners'
unicycle in the world.

It's a good beginner's machine, but if you really get into
unicycling then you will want something more durable. People
who are particularly prone to breaking frames might be
better off with a DM (which would have the disadvantages of
being heavier and more expensive, but the advantage of being
made in England): url:http://www.unicycle.co.uk/

Dave Mariner is in the habit of overengineering his
machines. They're built like tanks. My 20" (which will be 10
years old this year) is a DM Ringmaster, which I can highly
recommend but which I was surprised to find Roger no longer
seems to list at unicycle.uk.com:
url:http://www.unicycle.co.uk/dm_ringmaster.htm

> Any comments please?

I notice that the learner pack comes with the option of the
"One Wheel, No Limits" video, Charlie Dancey's unicycle book
or both. The video is inspirational and fun to watch, but
I'm not sure that it would be of great benefit in initially
learning to ride. Charlie's book is superb and I would
recommend getting a copy whatever unicycle you buy.

(If you choose a unicycle that isn't listed at
unicycle.uk.com then it's worth asking if they can get it
for you and arrange a package with the book and video).

> Should I get the 24" model instead?

ISTR you're in excess of 6' tall, in which case you might be
better off with a 24".

Generally a 20" wheel is more maneouvrable, a 24" wheel is
faster. But some tall riders find that a 24" handles better
than a 20", with the 20" just being too small for them.
OTOH, if you think you're likely to get into riding in
carnival parades later on then a smaller wheel is a big
advantage, because those parades tend to be very slow.

If you haven't read the unicycle FAQ then I'd recommend
doing so: url:http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/faq.html

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> I am thinking of buying this:
>
> <url:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.a-
> sp?catalogid=498>
>
> Any comments please? Should I get the 24" model instead?
>
> <url:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.a-
> sp?catalogid=500>

I went for the 26" muni which I found a lot easier to get
going on than the small wheel ones - seems to be much less
sensitive. Since I also wanted to use it to go places and
not for tricks/showing off, the bigger wheel is ultimately
what I wanted.

Tony

I wrote:
> If you haven't read the unicycle FAQ then I'd recommend
> doing so:
> url:http://www.unicycling.org/unicycling/faq.html

I should perhaps add that certain quality unicycle brands
(e.g. Nimbus and Onza) won't be mentioned in the FAQ simply
because they didn't exist when the FAQ was last updated.

There's a review section at url:http://www.unicyclist.com/
(in the 'forums') that may be useful.

On Sat, 27 Mar, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> I am thinking of buying this: <url:http://www.unicycle.u-
> k.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp?catalogid=498> Any
> comments please? Should I get the 24" model instead? <ur-
> l:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp-
> ?catalogid=500>

Well, I'm not familiar with teh beast in question, but I've
looked at teh pictures. It's got proper bearing cups (rather
than nasty lollipops) and a saddle that looks OK (rather
than teh pashley plastic-covered block). Admittedly, it's
about 15 years since I was in the market for a unicycle, so
maybe they're all like this now. Looks OK to me.

As to 20" v. 24", it depends what you want to do with it.
For doing tricks in a sports hall, I'd say definitely teh
20", because with 24" you'll run out of space lots more
often. For playing in teh great outdoors (urban or rural),
I'd say 24", because it handles rough surfaces better, and
comfortable cruise on a 24" is enough above walking pace
that you can convince yourself it's a valid transport mode.

Personally, I learnt on a 24" (a Sem XL - looks similar to
what you're considering, though a different crown detail)
and I've never wanted a 20". It was my main transport for 3
years at university, and I use it for errands occasionally -
it's faster than walking, and compact enough that you can
carry it into a shop with ease, so you don't spend time
locking it up. I can ride it at walking pace if I want to
accompany someone, or pick my way through pedestrians.

So, I'd buy a 24" (or rather, I did, and 15 years later I
still think it was teh right decision).

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Ian Smith wrote:
> Well, I'm not familiar with teh beast in question, but
> I've looked at teh pictures. It's got proper bearing cups
> (rather than nasty lollipops) and a saddle that looks OK
> (rather than teh pashley plastic-covered block).
> Admittedly, it's about 15 years since I was in the market
> for a unicycle, so maybe they're all like this now.

Not all, but Ian's right. It's best to avoid anything with
lollipop bearings. Unless you want a muni, in which case
the lollipop bearings on the Pashley Muni are acceptable:
url:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.asp-
?catalogid=101

The traditional Pashley saddle is truly horrible, but the
Muni comes with a Viscount saddle, as does the
Bogglefingers. A lot of people hate the Viscount (often
known as the Viscount de Sade), but I rather like
it.

And thinking back to what Tony wrote, if Guy is only
interested in riding and doesn't want to perform, race, play
hockey or basketball or ride in parades then a Muni may well
be the right choice.

If he *does* decide to race or play hockey or basketball,
then the rules specify a maximum wheel size of 24". If he
wants to perform or ride in parades then a 20" is better.

> Personally, I learnt on a 24" (a Sem XL - looks similar to
> what you're considering, though a different crown detail)
> and I've never wanted a 20".

Semcycles are very nice. A Sem would be lighter than a DM
and, by reputation, a lot more durable than a
Bogglefingers. I believe it would also be a lot more
expensive than either :-(

BTW, Sem recently set a new world record for the tallest
giraffe unicycle ever ridden, at 114.8':
url:http://semcycle.biz/record/

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> I am thinking of buying this:
>
> <url:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.a-
> sp?catalogid=498>
>
> Any comments please? Should I get the 24" model instead?
>
> <url:http://www.unicycle.uk.com/shop/shopdisplayproduct.a-
> sp?catalogid=500>

A substantially cheaper option would be to make an offer on
my old Pashley. Circa 1985, 20" model, not used much in the
last 15 years or so, blue paint. Has the horrid old Pashley
seat (lump of foam covered in black on aluminium plate
base), though that is fairly drop-proof, which is handy for
a learner.

Contact via the website below, or post reply here.

--
NC - Webmaster for http://www.2mm.org.uk/ Replies to
newsgroup postings to the newsgroup please.

Thanks, all. I went for the 24" model, which seems ot be better
suited to the taller / longer legged rider, complete with the book and
video. I'll let people know how I get on :)

--
Guy
===

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> Thanks, all. I went for the 24" model, which seems ot be
> better suited to the taller / longer legged rider,
> complete with the book and video. I'll let people know how
> I get on :)

I'm still not entirely forgiven for the dents in the hall
plasterwork from when I started ;-)

Tony

> I'm still not entirely forgiven for the dents in the hall
> plasterwork from when I started ;-)

Speaking as The One Who Repairs The Plasterwork, I think
I'll be OK on that score :)

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

On the subject of unis ...

I presume any half-serious hill is out of the question,
right? How far off dead-flat can you go without serious
trouble, or having to contour it?

--
Nick Kew

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

> Speaking as The One Who Repairs The Plasterwork, I think
> I'll be OK on that score :)

Do you know how to repair the wallpaper that is lining the
dent by any chance?

Tony

> Do you know how to repair the wallpaper that is lining the
> dent by any
chance?

Sort of. You can sometimes get away with cutting a
reasonable sized square around the dent, spraying with hot
soapy water until the paper lifts, remove the paper
carefully with a Stanley knife blade, put the torn/jaggy
bits back into the correct orientation while the paper is
still pliable, repair dent, keep the square flat under a
pile of books or summat and glue the patch back using PVA.
This will work with good quality papers or where linig paper
is in use. If the paper is badly ripped or cheap and nasty
you are probably doomed. I generally keep the offcuts for
repairing damage.

Our walls have old-fashioned sand and lime render with lime
plaster, which is quite vulnerable to knocks and bangs so I
cross-line everywhere anyway with the thickest grade of
lining paper I can find. The hall is cross-lined, then
lining paper over the top, then painted. Pretty tough.

--
Guy
===
posting. http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at
Washington University

Nick Kew speculated:
> I presume any half-serious hill is out of the
> question, right?

Ken Looi has ridden up Baldwin Street, the steepest paved
hill in the world at 38%: url:http://www.unicycle.co.nz/ind-
ex.php?path=home,GreatRides,BaldwinStre etDunedin

> How far off dead-flat can you go without serious trouble,
> or having to contour it?

Unicycles tend to have low gears, what with their 1:1 ratio.
Riding up a steep hill isn't usually too difficult (of
course it depends very much on stamina, physical strength,
wheel size and crank length). Remounting after a UPD can be
seriously difficult, though.

I think the steepest hill I've ridden up on my Coker (36")
is Coxgrove Hill, near Pucklechurch, about 1 in 8 judging
from a quick look at the OS map. That was quite a challenge
and I don't think I could get much steeper without fitting
longer cranks. On a 20" wheel, OTOH, I would have thought
nothing of it.

I've no idea what the steepest I've ridden on a smaller
wheel would be.

Damn URL wrap: url:http://tinyurl.com/22xdg

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/
Why I like OE6 - http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/misc/oe6.html

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 13:56:20 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>berlin.de...
>
>> Do you know how to repair the wallpaper that is lining
>> the dent by any
>chance?
>
>Sort of. You can sometimes get away with cutting a
>reasonable sized square around the dent, spraying with hot
>soapy water until the paper lifts, remove the paper
>carefully with a Stanley knife blade, put the torn/jaggy
>bits back into the correct orientation while the paper is
>still pliable, repair dent, keep the square flat under a
>pile of books or summat and glue the patch back using PVA.
>This will work with good quality papers or where linig
>paper is in use. If the paper is badly ripped or cheap and
>nasty you are probably doomed. I generally keep the offcuts
>for repairing damage.

Do you know where I put the end-of-roll after I decorated
the lounge? We've had some plumbing done and I need to
repair a bit of wallpaper and I ca't find it _anywhere_.

Tim

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> I cross-line everywhere anyway with the thickest grade of
> lining paper I can find. The hall is cross-lined, then
> lining paper over the top, then painted.

Drink more beer.

--
Andy Morris

AndyAtJinkasDotFreeserve.Co.UK

Love this:

"Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> writes:
> Nick Kew speculated:
>> I presume any half-serious hill is out of the
>> question, right?
>
> Ken Looi has ridden up Baldwin Street, the steepest paved
> hill in the world at 38%:

Aha. I should've been clearer. How steep a hill can
you go down?

The thought occurred to me because I'm taking part in a
production of The Bartered Bride (Smetana) in June. It has a
circus scene, and I'd toyed with the idea of introducing a
uni (and spending the spring learning it:) Then the thought
of the predominantly *downhill* journey into Plymouth scared
the s*** out of me. Can you do that?

As it happens, I'm now cast as a character who will be in a
wheelchair in the scene immediately after the circus, so the
issue is moot.

--
Nick Kew

Nick's manifesto: http://www.htmlhelp.com/~nick/

On Mon, 29 Mar 2004 20:59:32 +0100, "Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]> ("Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]>) wrote:

>Danny Colyer wrote:
>> Ken Looi has ridden up Baldwin Street, the steepest paved
>> hill in the world at 38%:
>>
>url:http://www.unicycle.co.nz/index.php?path=home,GreatRid-
>es,BaldwinStre
>> etDunedin
>
>Damn URL wrap: url:http://tinyurl.com/22xdg

Nutter. That hill makes me wheeze just looking at it. It's a
LOT steeper than it looks. Despite this, one day I shall
ride the 'bent up
it. :)

--
Matt K Dunedin, NZ

[email protected] (Nick Kew) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Danny
> Colyer" <[email protected]> writes:
> > Nick Kew speculated:
> >> I presume any half-serious hill is out of the question,
> >> right?
> >
> > Ken Looi has ridden up Baldwin Street, the steepest
> > paved hill in the world at 38%:
>
> Aha. I should've been clearer. How steep a hill can you
> go down?

Ken also rode down!

--
Dave...