Calling Italian-Americans & all cycling fans, please support my design & vote.

Darren C1

Feb 9, 2014
My design, in a Trek UK competition, has been picked to join a shortlist of 25 bikes chosen from nearly 6000 entries.
The winner is to be decided by public vote, I would be very grateful if you could spare me a few moments and vote for my tribute to both the Giro d’Italia and the massive influence Italy has on the USA!
The frame has the colours of the Italian flag in metallic paint, while the tyres and ‘bartape are both pink to match the Race Leaders Jersey of the Giro, the maglia rosa. But it is not all looks, the wheels and groupset have been chosen to reflect that the Giro is the toughest of the Grand Tours, and even has a Ceramic bottom bracket.
Together we can show the rest of the competition, that with American cutting edge design and the world famous Italian flair, we have an unbeatable combination that all Americans can be aptly proud of!
To vote, please click on the link below, or search for’ road.cc project one voting’ and select the design by Darren Collard:
http://road.cc/content/news/110710-trek-project-one-competition-voting-now-open
You can vote directly from this page or by following the instructions use twitter and facebook.
If you are feeling extremely generous, you could use all three methods to further advance our chances!
Thank you all for your help and support, it is greatly appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Darren Collard.

An 'Italian' tribute bike with shimaNO **** on it? You should be whipped with over-cooked linguine! And I understand the pink bar tape, but puleeeeze!

I voted for your design anyways as your paint scheme is awesome. Good luck!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
An 'Italian' tribute bike with shimaNO **** on it? You should be whipped with over-cooked linguine! And I understand the pink bar tape, but puleeeeze!

I voted for your design anyways as your paint scheme is awesome. Good luck!
Thank you, I would of chosen some Campy, if I had the choice, but I don't think the Trek model we had to base our design on even had this as an option!
Thanks for your help.

Project One does build with Campy, but I'm guessing it is a rare option. Frankly, I've not seen a Trek in my area that was equipped with Campagnolo. One of these days I will get around to trying a SRAM 22 group...I like some of their components.

I hope Trek builds you a nice bike for your efforts!

Project One does build with Campy, but I'm guessing it is a rare option. Frankly, I've not seen a Trek in my area that was equipped with Campagnolo. One of these days I will get around to trying a SRAM 22 group...I like some of their components.

I hope Trek builds you a nice bike for your efforts!
Thanks for the info CAMPYBOB, perhaps due to the budget limit we had to work too, it was out of our reach! (I would of loved to spec some in, but it's not to be unfortunately).

Any reason why you chose the Domane over the Madone? Just curious. In any event, as a mezzo Italiano, you got my vote, even with the pink bar tape.

Originally Posted by mpre53
Any reason why you chose the Domane over the Madone? Just curious. In any event, as a mezzo Italiano, you got my vote, even with the pink bar tape.
Thank you for your support, most kind.
I picked the Domane because I am intrigued with the 'floating' seat tube design. The roads here are quite rough and littered with potholes, so any extra comfort is attractive. I am more of a 'fitness' cyclist/fast commuter (I've not been a member of a cycling club for the last 25 years) and have never ridden a carbon bike, my one and only bike is an aluminium Bianchi (which I love) and was bought secondhand.
Thanks again, all the best, Darren.

Kinda digging Juliet Elliot's bike.

So why did you put craptacular wheels on your bike? A newer set of gears and cranks doesn't make you go faster but wheels do... You need to be tied down and forced to listen to Campybob's schtick about "Campy" and some of the godawful shite they put out in the late 80's 90's that was functionally worse than Shimano 600 and the only saving grace was that the C-Record cranks were bike **** and the cobalto 'jewels' on the brakes were rather nice.

Originally Posted by swampy1970
Kinda digging Juliet Elliot's bike.

So why did you put craptacular wheels on your bike? A newer set of gears and cranks doesn't make you go faster but wheels do... You need to be tied down and forced to listen to Campybob's schtick about "Campy" and some of the godawful shite they put out in the late 80's 90's that was functionally worse than Shimano 600 and the only saving grace was that the C-Record cranks were bike **** and the cobalto 'jewels' on the brakes were rather nice.
Hi, I agree that there are some nice entries there, and Juliet's it deservedly popular.
We had to work to a limited budget ($5,280), and although the carbon wheels do look snazzy, I would imagine that they're not so stable in a crosswind or as robust, and if you factor in the reduced braking while in the wet, the standard ones suit conditions here. (Since Christmas in the UK, the gales and rain have been almost non-stop!)

For the type of riding you're going to be doing, the Bontrager Race or Race Lites will serve you just fine. I had them on my Madone, and we have **** roads where I live. The bike got wrecked last September, but I still have the wheels. Still true, no loose spokes.

BTW, I did 5 centuries last year on the Madone, before it got wrecked (actually scouting a part of the route for century #6 when a careless driver hit me broadside). It was a very comfortable ride for me. I'd love to be able to test ride a Domane some day, but 60 cm is my size and most Trek dealers won't have one in stock.

Darren C1 said:
Hi, I agree that there are some nice entries there, and Juliet's it deservedly popular. We had to work to a limited budget ($5,280), and although the carbon wheels do look snazzy, I would imagine that they're not so stable in a crosswind or as robust, and if you factor in the reduced braking while in the wet, the standard ones suit conditions here. (Since Christmas in the UK, the gales and rain have been almost non-stop!)
Those are the Bontrager Aura carbon rims , right? Those have an aluminum brake surface and a profile derived from the Aeolus rims which are as stable as regular rims in a crosswind. I don't miss the winters that are not really winters in England. Cold, not much real wintery stuff and when you get a powder coating of snow the country shuts down... LOL. Rain, rain, go away, I'll f**k off to sunny cal-i-for-nie-aye. Lancashire to Northern Cali was a good move. :)

Quote by Swampy:
"You need to be tied down and forced to listen to Campybob's schtick about "Campy"..."

Like being married to the great looking, wealthy, chick that can't cook water as opposed to the chubby, ugly gal with man-hands and a doctorate in wetlands biology that can whip up a mean manicotti...I'ld rather ride Campy Gen. 1 index shift than shimaNO anything.

At least I'll look great fishing for a gear! And I can always find a good restaurant and there's no cleanup after eating!

Quote by Swampy:
"You need to be tied down and forced to listen to Campybob's schtick about "Campy"..."

Like being married to the great looking, wealthy, chick that can't cook water as opposed to the chubby, ugly gal with man-hands and a doctorate in wetlands biology that can whip up a mean manicotti...I'ld rather ride Campy Gen. 1 index shift than shimaNO anything.

At least I'll look great fishing for a gear! And I can always find a good restaurant and there's no cleanup after eating!
So you hate the Japanese now? Sorry couldn't resist doing the "trend spin" :)

Well, after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, I tossed all my shimaNO fishing gear into Boston Harbor.

Well, after the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, I tossed all my shimaNO fishing gear into Boston Harbor.

Sounds like a typical Tea Party extremist violating EPA regulations, endangering fish and the economy. Those fishing reels could have been recycled to make walkers for residents of the retired prostitutes home.

CAMPYBOB said:
Quote by Swampy: "[COLOR=181818]You need to be tied down and forced to listen to Campybob's schtick about "Campy"..."[/COLOR] [COLOR=181818]Like being married to the great looking, wealthy, chick that can't cook water as opposed to the chubby, ugly gal with man-hands and a doctorate in wetlands biology that can whip up a mean manicotti...I'ld rather ride Campy Gen. 1 index shift than shimaNO anything.[/COLOR]
... And there's the kicker. We all know you can't ride a bike equiped with Campag Syncro. Ain't no forward motion when the chain is spinning between sprockets on the freewheel out back and when you do get going you have to stay going because those Delta brakes stop you like the French army stopped ******. It ain't coincidental that blood doping took off in the late 80s at the same time as those brakes. Better be upping the blood bags for the extra forearm workout plus you got some catching up to do after another missed shift. Racing up hill and can't get the gears because you're index shifting on 1920s technology sprockets and rear mech in the late 80's? cam-pag-NO-LOW.

Are honest, frank opinions allowed?

Half of those entries look like they were designed by precocious, color-blind eleven year olds, in my opinion! Hot-Wheelsesque "Go Faster!" flames? Seriously?

The other half were undoubtedly done by middle-aged, right-brained, creativity-challenged, slide-rule-using, industrial engineers with comb-over hairstyles!

How did I know - before even clicking on your link - that the most mediocre-looking, the most joyless, "Stealthy" matte black "design" (and I use the word "design" loosely) - so adored by all the herd-followers out there these days - would get the most votes? I swear! I'm gonna gouge my own eyes out with a rusty hex key if I see another "blacked-out" bike designed by an artless Dark-Knight fetishist!

Serious question for the O.P.: Any reason why you chose an "il Tricolore" theme over a Union Jack theme? Just curious. You're British. Right? I mean, "Darren", "Trek UK". Those aren't names that I ordinarily think of when I think of "Italian" or "American".

The EPA would have fined the Founding Fathers for polluting Boston Harbor (is that even possible?) and the AIM injuns would have had them up on federal charges for degrading the image of genyouwine Indians with their costumes. The local lobster fishing trade unionists would have demanded reparations and sought damages for reducing the catch and damaging lobster pots that were torn on the sharp, un-deburred edges of shimaNO derailleurs.

Originally Posted by Darren C1
My design, in a Trek UK competition, has been picked to join a shortlist of 25 bikes chosen from nearly 6000 entries.
Hey nice design, I like it! I'd buy a bike with that paint job in a flash.