Calling owners of 2008 Specialized Roubaix Pro

Sounds like a frame issue. The stardard '08 tires are Roubaix Pro 700x23/25c. They should fit your frame with plenty of fork and rear seat stay clearance. I'm wondering if there is a Specialized production problem?
At the price of a Poubaix Pro, I'd go back to the LBS and ask for a replacement frame. :mad:

Good luck - I think Roubaix Pros are great bikes.:D

It has been a few months since my post in reply to "calling all owners."As a reminder, I purchased a new Roubaix Expert (58cm) and discovered pretty quickly that there was too little clearance between both the rear bridge (especially tight) and the front fork and their respective tires. I brought the bike back to the LBS with ~ 140 miles since new. They were surprised but committed to resolving with Specialized. I also sent a note to Specialized...have yet to hear from them. After speaking with Specialized, the LBS reported that they were sending the entire bike back to California and, "don't worry...they are very good about such issues." After about a week, I got a call saying that Specialized were out of stock in 58cm and they were replacing the frame with an S-Works Roubaix frame. I was told that this is a "vastly" superior frame...and I am very lucky. I'm not so sure. When I rec'd the "new" bike, here's what I got: S-Works frame...to be sure. Near as I can tell, it's not lighter...it's not appreciably stiffer...it might have some improvement but it's lost on me (I've been riding all my life). Specialized didn't see fit to replace the rear brake (the underside of which had been chewed up by sand and gravel). They also didn't see fit to replace the fork which is annoying because in addition to having been scored by sand and gravel, the old fork doesn't completely match the paint scheme on the new frame. Of course I checked the clearance issues immediately and they seemed improved but still on the tight side. So I start riding, and what do you know...the tires are still picking up sand and gravel and the debris is still getting lodged between the tire and the bridge or fork...I can't believe it. On a whim, I swap out a Roubaix 700x23/25 tire for a 700x23 from my Giant and the improvement in clearance is significant. So, at my own expense (basically to save my frame), I shell out $130 for new 700x23 tires. And one final note: I believe the 23/25 tire is an integral element in the Roubaix's ride comfort...it makes sense...this is a big tire and it absorbs some road shock. The 23 doesn't ride as smoothly but it's the best compromise I could come up with. The LBS doesn't seem to get my disappointment/dissatisfaction and I have decided to take the matter up with Specialized directly. Who ever would have thought that spending $3.3k on a bike would result in such a mess...not I.

bob bradshaw said:
It has been a few months since my post in reply to "calling all owners."As a reminder, I purchased a new Roubaix Expert (58cm) and discovered pretty quickly that there was too little clearance between both the rear bridge (especially tight) and the front fork and their respective tires. I brought the bike back to the LBS with ~ 140 miles since new. They were surprised but committed to resolving with Specialized. I also sent a note to Specialized...have yet to hear from them. After speaking with Specialized, the LBS reported that they were sending the entire bike back to California and, "don't worry...they are very good about such issues." After about a week, I got a call saying that Specialized were out of stock in 58cm and they were replacing the frame with an S-Works Roubaix frame. I was told that this is a "vastly" superior frame...and I am very lucky. I'm not so sure. When I rec'd the "new" bike, here's what I got: S-Works frame...to be sure. Near as I can tell, it's not lighter...it's not appreciably stiffer...it might have some improvement but it's lost on me (I've been riding all my life). Specialized didn't see fit to replace the rear brake (the underside of which had been chewed up by sand and gravel). They also didn't see fit to replace the fork which is annoying because in addition to having been scored by sand and gravel, the old fork doesn't completely match the paint scheme on the new frame. Of course I checked the clearance issues immediately and they seemed improved but still on the tight side. So I start riding, and what do you know...the tires are still picking up sand and gravel and the debris is still getting lodged between the tire and the bridge or fork...I can't believe it. On a whim, I swap out a Roubaix 700x23/25 tire for a 700x23 from my Giant and the improvement in clearance is significant. So, at my own expense (basically to save my frame), I shell out $130 for new 700x23 tires. And one final note: I believe the 23/25 tire is an integral element in the Roubaix's ride comfort...it makes sense...this is a big tire and it absorbs some road shock. The 23 doesn't ride as smoothly but it's the best compromise I could come up with. The LBS doesn't seem to get my disappointment/dissatisfaction and I have decided to take the matter up with Specialized directly. Who ever would have thought that spending $3.3k on a bike would result in such a mess...not I.

Well, I have to say I don't know why you didn't try different tires in the first place. Roubaix 23/25 tires? Pure marketing. The reality is that, sure, bigger tires offer better comfort at the same pressure, but for all tires, better comfort is just a few less PSI away. $130 for clinchers? You really hate yourself, don't you?

I was looking for new Specialized Roubaix Pro tire and accidentally I found this thread.
Yesterday I experienced the same scenario!!!
On my 5th ride with my one month old 2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert bike, the rear tire blew up. Thanks to perth_shun I found out that I'm suffering from the same problem (Short clearance, paint that went off).
On the front wheel - there are scratches inside the fork caused by small stones that was sticked to the wheel during ride (Sometimes I hear "popcorn sound").

What should I do now?
Did it really damage the frame?
Does Specialized obligated to replace the frame in this case?

Waiting for your answer.
Thanks

nissimda said:
I was looking for new Specialized Roubaix Pro tire and accidentally I found this thread.
Yesterday I experienced the same scenario!!!
On my 5th ride with my one month old 2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert bike, the rear tire blew up. Thanks to perth_shun I found out that I'm suffering from the same problem (Short clearance, paint that went off).
On the front wheel - there are scratches inside the fork caused by small stones that was sticked to the wheel during ride (Sometimes I hear "popcorn sound").

What should I do now?
Did it really damage the frame?
Does Specialized obligated to replace the frame in this case?

Waiting for your answer.
Thanks
Sorry to hear...sounds to me like there is a larger problem out there...perhaps a design issue more than a manufacturing defect. Anyway...I'd be right back to the place I bought it to have them address with Specialized. The "popcorn" sound is the noise that's made when a piece of debris that has been picked up by the tire gets jammed between the tire and the frame or fork. Depending on the amount of clearance you have (I don't think it is safe to assume that all frames have the same clearance as I have seen other Roubaix frames mounted with the standard 700x23/25 Roubaix Tire with plenty of clearance), the 700x23 tire may "solve" your problem...pretty annoying, huh? Good luck.

bob bradshaw said:
Sorry to hear...sounds to me like there is a larger problem out there...perhaps a design issue more than a manufacturing defect. Anyway...I'd be right back to the place I bought it to have them address with Specialized. The "popcorn" sound is the noise that's made when a piece of debris that has been picked up by the tire gets jammed between the tire and the frame or fork. Depending on the amount of clearance you have (I don't think it is safe to assume that all frames have the same clearance as I have seen other Roubaix frames mounted with the standard 700x23/25 Roubaix Tire with plenty of clearance), the 700x23 tire may "solve" your problem...pretty annoying, huh? Good luck.
Different tire may solve my problem but it's too late now. The frame is already damaged seriously (especially at rear side) so I can only hope that Specialized will agree to replace the frame. My twin brother bought the same bike also and those symptoms on his bike are less. so, it may be relevant for him.

Thanks

I was test riding the 2008 Specialized Roubaix Expert Rival with the 700x23/25 Roubaix Pro tires earlier this year and noticed the same effect, getting pebbles caught between the front tire and front brake, to the point that I was slowed to a stop. I ended up ordering the Roubaix Expert Ultegra, and it came standard with the 700x23 Specialized Pro tires, so Specialized must have figured out the tire issue, and the tire clearance was fine -- but I don't think the skinnier tires alone resolved the clearance issue. When comparing the two bikes, I noticed that the problem was more pronounced with the SRAM Rival brakes than the Ultegra brakes, as the SRAM Rival brakes hang lower and sit closer to the tire. The Ultegra brakes line up evenly with the front fork and rear brake bridge, but the Rival brakes do not, extending a little lower than the front fork and rear brake bridge.

Bottom line -- if you're in the market for a Roubaix Expert or Pro, inspect the tire clearance closely, and expect better clearance on the Ultegra over Rival and better clearance with the 700x23 tires over the 700x23/25 tires.

Shame on me I didn't do this earlier.

Right after reading this thread I went to my LBS with the bike and informed about my problem. I was amazed from their quick respond says that there is no question about it - the frame will be replaced!

The LBS informed Specialized and 4 days (!) after their reply, a new upgraded Roubaix S-WORKS frame in my favorite colors (blue & white similar to my old Roubaix Expert frame) arrived from Europe (to Israel) in a special delivery. And It's amazing!

Also, a new pair of Armadillo elite tires instead of the old problematic ones assembled for free on the new bike.

Thank you all for your help.
Without it I wasn't even be aware of it.

bob bradshaw said:
Well, I was very interested in this post and the thread that follows. I purchased my Roubaix Expert about a month ago from a local shop with a good reputation. I also have the Specialized Roubaix tires (700x23/25). To be honest, it never would have occurred to me to inspect this on delivery, but after 150 miles I am sorry to say I have the same situation as you describe. However...and maybe this is something you should check also...my problem is BOTH front and rear...though it is worse in the rear.

I started to notice that the tires would "pick up" little bits of sand...especially when I was riding slowly. I would hear little "pops" and "clicks"...couldn't figure out what these noises were...thought perhaps they were spokes getting "seated" and other early creaks. Then I started to notice that the noises were worse when roads were wet and, finally, I realized that the noises were being caused by grit getting stuck between the tire and the frame and/or brake and "popping" out.

A close inspection reveals that up front, under the fork (right below the steerer tube), there is considerable scratching running fore and aft. I would estimate that there is about 2 - 3 mm of clearance between tire and fork.

Then when I looked at the rear brake/bridge, I realized the situation was even worse...only about 1 mm of clearance AND with the wheel off, I can see that not only is the bridge scored badly, but so is the BRAKE. (So, be careful before you accept a new frame...check your brakes!)

I have written to Specialized...haven't had a reply yet. I have called the LBS and am bringing the bike back to them tomorrow. I am very interested to hear their proposal.

I can tell you that I visited another Specialized retailer today to inspect new bikes. Some good news (I think): on all of the models on display, including mine (Expert) and others (Pro)...in a range of sizes...there was a LOT of clearance both fore and aft. As one poster noted, indeed, the brake pads were nearly at the bottom of their adjustment. I would guess 1/4 inch.

Please post future updates...as will I. I love the bike but this is very disappointing. Bob

Picked up a Roubaix triple last week. During the test ride the bike rode well but once in a while I noticed a pinging sound. Thought a spoke was loose and asked my LBS to check into it before I picked up the bike. After bringing it home noticed the same problem. My LBS thought it could be loose metal shaving in the wheel and replace the wheel. Same problem. Upon closer examination I noticed that the tire was protruding too far into the brake housing with a few millimeters of clearance and that in the inner brake housing had lateral scratch marks running aft and front from the tire picking road debris and flinging it into the housing. The soft Roubaix pro II tire did not help because it is very sticky and road debris adheres to the rubber, this especially true for damp road conditions. Returned the bike and got the Roubaix elite instead which is even better. Makes you wonder about quality control at Specialized that either made the fork too short or put the brake pin too far down the fork. My LBS said they never saw this problem before and it could be due to the fact that the frame is a carbon hand made product. However, since this issue has been reported since last year makes you wonder if anyone in specialized is paying attention to product quality.