Calling Utah Cyclists: 3 Foot Rule Rally!!!

Lonnie Utah

Banned
Aug 21, 2004
To the Utah bicycling community:

Utah House Bill 49 of the 2005 session will change the law in the way that motor vehicles pass bicycles. At this time the law simply states that a car must pass at a "safe distance" which we all know from experience can be 2 inches or twenty feet depending upon the motorist. This bill will specify that when a car passes a bicycle, either from behind or head on, that there must be three feet between any part of the car (mirrors, etc) and the cyclist.

The purpose of this bill is, simply, to save lives and prevent injuries. Every car/bicycle accident is preventable: the purpose of this bill is to try to prevent such accidents.

This bill is not partisan: it does not discriminate between young or old, rich or poor, urban or rural, democrat or republican. This bill will help educate the driving public to provide more space to the cyclist and will provide law enforcement with a more definable law to enforce.

Please contact your Representative and your Senator and urge passage of this bill. Refer to it as Utah House Bill 49. You can go to: http://www.le.state.ut.us for links to the House and Senate, and to learn more about the bill.

There will be a press conference/bicycle safety rally in support of the bill on January 26 at 11:30 am to about 12:20PM, on the grounds of the Capitol: the west side of the central plaza. Please attend wearing a bike jersey (yellow if you have one) and, if possible, bring your bike. We hope that the video and print media will be there to help spread the word about this bill.

If you have any questions, go to www.cyclingutah.com We are confident that the passage of this bill will save lives and prevent injuries to cyclists. Any and all support would be most appreciated.

Hope to see some other Utah folks there. I'm going. For those not from here, This law, if it passes could be an example of ones you could pass in your own state/county/city etc.

I'll let you know how the vote comes out.

Thanks for the info Lonnie. I won't be able to make it to the capitol as it the date falls on a weekday and I am in Utah county. I sure hope this bill passes because there have been way to many people getting hit by cars wround here.

Lonnie Utah said:
To the Utah bicycling community:

Utah House Bill 49 of the 2005 session will change the law in the way that motor vehicles pass bicycles. At this time the law simply states that a car must pass at a "safe distance" which we all know from experience can be 2 inches or twenty feet depending upon the motorist. This bill will specify that when a car passes a bicycle, either from behind or head on, that there must be three feet between any part of the car (mirrors, etc) and the cyclist.

The purpose of this bill is, simply, to save lives and prevent injuries. Every car/bicycle accident is preventable: the purpose of this bill is to try to prevent such accidents.

This bill is not partisan: it does not discriminate between young or old, rich or poor, urban or rural, democrat or republican. This bill will help educate the driving public to provide more space to the cyclist and will provide law enforcement with a more definable law to enforce.

Please contact your Representative and your Senator and urge passage of this bill. Refer to it as Utah House Bill 49. You can go to: http://www.le.state.ut.us for links to the House and Senate, and to learn more about the bill.

There will be a press conference/bicycle safety rally in support of the bill on January 26 at 11:30 am to about 12:20PM, on the grounds of the Capitol: the west side of the central plaza. Please attend wearing a bike jersey (yellow if you have one) and, if possible, bring your bike. We hope that the video and print media will be there to help spread the word about this bill.

If you have any questions, go to www.cyclingutah.com We are confident that the passage of this bill will save lives and prevent injuries to cyclists. Any and all support would be most appreciated.

Hope to see some other Utah folks there. I'm going. For those not from here, This law, if it passes could be an example of ones you could pass in your own state/county/city etc.

I'll let you know how the vote comes out.

I will. I'll also forward this on to the members of my club. Thanks for the headsup.

Lonnie Utah said:
Birdman,

Please call, e-mail or write your represenatives on this.

Thanks!!!!
L

<Bump!>

I'm going to print up several of the flyers and drop them at several of the LBS shops down this way (Revolution, Bigham, Canyon cycles and REI sandy)

L

UPDATE

I got this from a buddy that's done a lot of work on this issue. One of his students was hit and killed by a motorist this year. I hope to see everybody (anybody?) at the rally!!! Wish us luck!

Good news, the 3 foot law, House Bill 49 sponsored by Roz McGee has been passed out of committee to the House floor. There are some misperceptions from the legislators about how bikes are supposed to ride on the roads (no, not on sidewalks, not against traffic, etc).
If you can please contact your Senator and Representative to both educate them about bicycling in Utah in general as well as the relative merits of this bill, please do so. They need to hear from you!

We are still planning a press conference/bicycle rally tomorrow at the Capitol (see below). I have been in contact with a number of the news organizations, and if we show up with bikes the visuals will enhance strong coverage on TV and the newspapers. I am riding from work. If you can ride please do so. If you want to park 5 blocks away and ride (or walk your bike), that is great as well. Or if you can just show up in your lunch hour for a few minutes of support, it would be very appreciated. This will be short. Try to be there between 11:30 to 11:45. We will start the rally as close to 11:45 as possible and should wrap up in 15 to 30 minutes. It should be partly cloudy (maybe no fog??!!??) and in the mid 40's so dress warmly.

The rally will be in the central quad on the west side. Parking is poor up there, so if you plan to park, arrive early enough to walk a few blocks.

Thanks for all your help.

JW