Calorie burn and cold weather

3_days

Jul 13, 2005
Does the average rider burn more calories in cold weather?

I read several posts on the cold weather topic as they relate to training principles and hydration, all of which make sense to me. But assuming a rider is properly dressed and hydrated, is there any reason to suspect that he/she should expect to burn more calories on a winter ride?

How does this answer change if the rider does feel a little "chill," even if properly hydrated?

I've been riding solely on the trainer lately, which has gotten a little monotonous. My goal is simply to burn calories and just enjoy exercise; would I be better riding outside for less time/distance?

3_days said:
Does the average rider burn more calories in cold weather?

I read several posts on the cold weather topic as they relate to training principles and hydration, all of which make sense to me. But assuming a rider is properly dressed and hydrated, is there any reason to suspect that he/she should expect to burn more calories on a winter ride?

How does this answer change if the rider does feel a little "chill," even if properly hydrated?

I've been riding solely on the trainer lately, which has gotten a little monotonous. My goal is simply to burn calories and just enjoy exercise; would I be better riding outside for less time/distance?
I just read an really good article on this topic. It turns out that you don't burn any more calories in the cold, but you feel like you do.
The authors did as study on the effects of temperature on calorie burning during exercise. They had two groups, one in a cool pool and one in a warm pool do the same exercise (I think it may have even been exercise bikes) and measured the calories that they expended. They found the cool water group only burned about 14 more calories than the warm water group over the hour (I think) that they had them exercise. They also determined that the hormones that control appetite are less effective when your body is cool, so you feel hungrier even if you haven't burned any more calories. It's a pretty good explanation of why it is so danged hard to not gain weight over the winter. They suggested some indoor exercise before eating to raise core temperature and get those appetite control hormones working again.
I'll see if I can find the article and post up a link here.

Eden said:
I just read an really good article on this topic. It turns out that you don't burn any more calories in the cold, but you feel like you do.
The authors did as study on the effects of temperature on calorie burning during exercise. They had two groups, one in a cool pool and one in a warm pool do the same exercise (I think it may have even been exercise bikes) and measured the calories that they expended. They found the cool water group only burned about 14 more calories than the warm water group over the hour (I think) that they had them exercise. They also determined that the hormones that control appetite are less effective when your body is cool, so you feel hungrier even if you haven't burned any more calories. It's a pretty good explanation of why it is so danged hard to not gain weight over the winter. They suggested some indoor exercise before eating to raise core temperature and get those appetite control hormones working again.
I'll see if I can find the article and post up a link here.
Please do that if you can find it. and thanks for the response.

I waver my opinion on this topic for various reasons, some of which the members here might explain:

the www.kreuzotter.de website for cycling speed and watts asks for input regarding outdoor temperature and raises the intensity with colder temps.

When I snowboard, I'm ALWAYS hungry. Yet, I could ride my bike 3+ hours in the summer heat and not feel hungry at all.

I ALWAYS gain weight in winter, and I always eat more. Wintertime diets put me in that calorie deficit, starvation state much sooner.

When I exercise hard in the cold, I don't feel like I'm working that hard.

3_days said:
I waver my opinion on this topic for various reasons, some of which the members here might explain:

the www.kreuzotter.de website for cycling speed and watts asks for input regarding outdoor temperature and raises the intensity with colder temps.
I'll field that one. Colder air is more dense, and thus provides greater resistance to a rider moving through it. It requires more power to ride 20mph through colder air than to ride the same speed through warmer air.

Some sites ask for altitude input for a similar reason -- less resistance at higher elevations.

That said, if you ride the *same speed* when the temperature is cold, then you'll be producing more power than you would during a similar summertime workout, and probably be burning more calories. Of course, if you're capable of producing more power, then you'd probably ride faster in the summer and you're back to burning the same amount of calories through your effort.

In my mind, the original question really comes down to a matter of degrees. If the temperature is cold enough, some of the metabolic expenditure goes toward maintaining body temp at a sufficiently warm level. Begin exercising, and a portion of the exercise effort offsets some of the metabolic need, and the total calories burned < basal metabolism + exercise expenditure. OTOH, if the weather is slightly warmer, then little to no excess metabolic expenditure is needed to maintain body temp. If you start exercising at that point then total calories = basal + exercise expenditure. If the temperature rises much more, then metabolic effort is needed for cooling to maintain body temp. If you start exercising at that point, even *more* cooling is needed and total cals > basal + exercise expenditure.

frenchyge said:
In my mind, the original question really comes down to a matter of degrees. If the temperature is cold enough, some of the metabolic expenditure goes toward maintaining body temp at a sufficiently warm level. Begin exercising, and a portion of the exercise effort offsets some of the metabolic need, and the total calories burned < basal metabolism + exercise expenditure. OTOH, if the weather is slightly warmer, then little to no excess metabolic expenditure is needed to maintain body temp. If you start exercising at that point then total calories = basal + exercise expenditure. If the temperature rises much more, then metabolic effort is needed for cooling to maintain body temp. If you start exercising at that point, even *more* cooling is needed and total cals > basal + exercise expenditure.
So ... with cooling the body in warmer temps - more energy is needed ...

In colder temps, the body "heats up" as a natural result of exercise, which offsets the "usual" energy process needed to cool down during exercise - so less calories are burned?

Makes sense.

But why do I feel like I starve in the winter? Why can't I go for extended exercise without craving food? I drink a lot of liquids to avoid the thirsty munchies but still feel genuinely hungry.

3_days said:
So ... with cooling the body in warmer temps - more energy is needed ...

In colder temps, the body "heats up" as a natural result of exercise, which offsets the "usual" energy process needed to cool down during exercise - so less calories are burned?

Makes sense.
Glad that makes sense, but just to be clear, the body normally has to expend energy for heating *or* cooling. It uses energy to be 'just right'. In cold weather, the exercise makes the body closer to 'just right' so it uses less of its normal energy. In hot weather, exercise makes the body further from 'just right' and so more energy is required for temperature control than normal. All this assumes that you're exercising in clothing with adequate ventilation, as it's possible to actually overwork your body by restricting airflow and preventing cooling through perspiration.

3_days said:
But why do I feel like I starve in the winter? Why can't I go for extended exercise without craving food? I drink a lot of liquids to avoid the thirsty munchies but still feel genuinely hungry.
Sorry, I'm a mechanical engineer. I can take a semi-educated stab at why things might heat up or cool down, but ignore any advice I might accidentally give regarding nutrition. :eek:

So far I haven't been able to find the actual article that I read, but I did find and exerpt so I am on the right track.

Researchers at the University of Florida have confirmed that there is indeed a connection between cold-water exercise and appetite.

They compared the energy used and calories consumed after riding a stationary bike submerged in cold water (68°F) and warm water (91.4°F).

Participants burned 517 calories in cold water then consumed 877 calories. When they exercised in warm water, they burned 505 calories then consumed 608 calories.

I'll keep looking for the whole article, cause its driving me crazy trying to remember where I read it.

Eden said:
So far I haven't been able to find the actual article that I read, but I did find and exerpt so I am on the right track.
I believe I saw an article in the last Bicycling magazine, but I gave my copy to a friend so I cannot confirm.

Eden said:

Researchers at the University of Florida have confirmed that there is indeed a connection between cold-water exercise and appetite.

They compared the energy used and calories consumed after riding a stationary bike submerged in cold water (68°F) and warm water (91.4°F).

Participants burned 517 calories in cold water then consumed 877 calories. When they exercised in warm water, they burned 505 calories then consumed 608 calories.

I'll keep looking for the whole article, cause its driving me crazy trying to remember where I read it.
I would bet the reason stems fm our ancestors. Our bodies are trying to add a protective fat layer to increase our insulation during cold weather. But this reaction is twofold. During winter, when food becomes scarce(or at least it used to), the body reacts to this by fattening us for our survival..You are going against your body instincts...