Calorie Computation Garmin Edge 500

1953hogan

Jan 17, 2015
Hi all,

New to this forum. I just got a Garmin Edge 500 for Christmas and like it very much except for one thing. The calorie computation during my rides is crazy low.

I am paired ANT+ to a Wahoo TICKR heart rate monitor and also to a WAHOO speed/cadence sensor.

Here are a couple of examples.

Trainer ride for 30 minutes, 7 miles...the Edge registered just 17 calories burned.

Trainer ride for 35 minutes, 8 miles...the Edge again registered very low, just 17 calories burned.

While these weren't super-hard workouts, I would think that the calories burned should have been somewhere in the 250-400 range.

I've contacted Garmin support and am getting nowhere. I've also tried a master reset on the Edge 500 and am getting the same results afterward.

Has anybody else experienced this? Anybody have any ideas how to resolve it?

Thanks very much.

Okay, I did a ride today without the Wahoo heart rate monitor and the Garmin 500 calorie computation seems to work then.

So, I have two questions:

If you use the combination of Garmin Edge 500 and a GARMIN Heart Rate Monitor, does the 500 compute calories accurately for you?

If you use the combination of Garmin Edge 500 and a WAHOO Heart Rate Monitor, does the 500 compute calories accurately?

I'd like to determine if my Edge is bad or if I just might need a Garmin heart rate strap.

Thanks very much.

it looks like you don't have a power meter. IMHO, without one you are getting guessamates. Nothing really accurate will come of it until you do get a power meter. 200-400 calories for a 30 min easy ride is way off.

"While these weren't super-hard workouts, I would think that the calories burned should have been somewhere in the 250-400 range."

I agree with that range.

Like rgvcycling said, without a power meter, the calorie stat is a guess. The Edge can't factor in headwinds, some grade changes, etc. Same thing with the Watts stat on websites like STRAVA. There's enough data for a guess that may be 'close' to reality or it may be way off.

I use a 510 and I've got to get a power meter!

Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB
"While these weren't super-hard workouts, I would think that the calories burned should have been somewhere in the 250-400 range."

I agree with that range.

Like rgvcycling said, without a power meter, the calorie stat is a guess. The Edge can't factor in headwinds, some grade changes, etc. Same thing with the Watts stat on websites like STRAVA. There's enough data for a guess that may be 'close' to reality or it may be way off.

I use a 510 and I've got to get a power meter!
Time to get one Campybob. What are you waiting for? There are plenty to choose from at all sorts of different price points.

Like the guy I train with, I'm still weighing pros and cons. He just dropped a **** ton of money on a Compex muscle stimulator to aid with recovery and a nagging injury from last season. He may cheap out on the power meter and go with a Stages left arm.

Due to left-right issues I've dealt with since the age of 2, I want two-sided measurement, so Stages is a no go for my needs.

I like Garmin's pedal-based power, but the craptastic Wellgo pedals freak me out.

Can't see $3K in an SRM at my age and output and racing schedule.

Pioneer wants me to mail away my Campy? No way!

Also, things are changing rapidly in the PM market. Prices should go down, features should go up. And I see more integration with other devices coming like a tidal wave. Same with communication direct to websites like STRAVA, MMR, TP, Garmin Connect, etc.

I'll pull the trigger...hopefully a late summer sale or something. Power2max intrigues me...interesting.

I thought the 250-400 calories was for both rides...about an hour.