Calorie Concerns

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by jasper808, Jun 21, 2005.

1. jasper808

jasper808 New Member

I had a quick question regarding caloric intake, or lack thereof. Recently I have been seeing/feeling my form slowly crumble so I sat down and checked my caloric intake and the requirements that I needed. Whoa - I was severely lacking. Being a vegetarian, I am somewhat limited in what I can dine on. With that being said I am basically getting around 2000 cals a day, regardless of my training. This leads me to my question. I am not trying to shed lbs. (currently 145 - 6'0"), am I have not been, but wouldn't you think that I would be losing weight with a intake of a mere 2000 cals. What gives? I am increasing overall intake in hopes of having a bit more energy to regain my form. Thoughts?

Tags:

2. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Well, you have not told us what kind of training regimen you are under. If you are riding and training regularly and hard, then I doubt that 2000 calories a day comes even close to covering your caloric deficit.

Take a close look at your training, maybe it is worth your while to invest in a visit to a sports doctor or a dietician and have a professional help you develop a diet that meets your needs.

In doubt, have another plate of pasta (yes I am Italian) at lunch and dinner. :D Yummy and meets your vegetarian needs.

3. jasper808

jasper808 New Member

PP,

Thanks for the note. Right now I am logging about 120-150 mile a week, with hill training making up about 60 of the total. I am also doing at least one crit a week (Cat 4), but that is included in the total mileage. I realize that more calories are needed, but wouldn't it make sense that my weight would be falling with a limited intake paired with my training reg.? Just curious as to why it would remain the same.

4. Squint

Squint New Member

Most likely you are underestimating your calorie intake and overestimating your calorie consumption. Millions of people do the same thing.

5. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

There ya go. Probably underestimating intake - 2000 kcal is nothing... ;)

6. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

PP, i realise that this is waaaaay off topic, but i note that you're Italian and i'm trying to find a good recipe for caprese insalata. I have the basics (good fresh tomatoes and good mozzarella) but am trying to recreate the taste of the salad when i was on holiday in Sorrento. Do you know of any good recipes?

Thanks
    Ric