Calorie increase linked to carbs

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:25:00 -0600, James Michael Howard
<[email protected]> wrote:

>This could all be due to appetite. It is my hypothesis that testosterone is increasing.
>Testosterone increases appetite. Increased appetite may simply make it more difficult to avoid
>extra calories. This may all be increased appetite.
>

Hmm. I don't know.

In my example with my chinese coworkers, I would have to say that at least at work, they eat more in
a meal than I do. My quantities are smaller, but I'm sure my meals, at least before I started
working on my WOE, are higher in calories.

I'd have a hard time thinking it was based on appetite. I think it is more on actual calories. I was
eating more sugar and fat, while they were eating rice, meat, and greens. Also, I don't think I have
ever seen them drink any pop. Lots of tea, some canned fruit drinks, and one drank a lot of milk.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew Equine and Pet Photography http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:12:47 GMT, "Pizza Girl" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Genetics! Why do some people lift weights and never become work class body builders?
>
>Genetics.

So, bad genes made us fat? If that's the case, why bother?

I do realize that some people will have to work harder because of genetic tendencies, but I don't
think it is the main reason, just one of the contributing reasons.

In article <[email protected]>, kvs wrote:
> "DMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Jean B. wrote...
>> > Ignoramus17685 wrote:
>> > > Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies,
>> > > sodas etc), not to all carbs.
>> > >
>> > > And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more
>> > > and more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
>> >
>> > I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
>> > addict people to them.
>>
>> I think people should read Ayn Rand's "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" These unquestioned attacks
>> against capitalism are unfounded and contradictory. Note that people attack business for foisting
>> carbs and the food pyramid on us then turn around and attack the companies that are coming to
>> market with lo-carb products. (This is not meant to refer specifically to the posters in this
>> thread but a general comment). By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and
>> conspiracy or of cashing-in and profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that capitialism is
>> both practical and moral because selfishness is good.
>
> Set up a straw man and then destroy it. Everything is about the pursuit of profits. So any trick
> that gets you more money is worthwhile as long as there are no reprecussions that cause you to
> lose more money than you gained. In spite of all the supplications at the feet of Ayn Rand the
> problem of corruption is never explained away. An example would be the corruption of the medical
> community by drug companies that exert a lot of effort to recruit doctors as their pushers. Bayer
> AG and its wonderful product Baycol is a contradiction to the theories of the "best of all
> possible worlds" delusionists that worship Ayn Rand.

Of course. Capitalism is a wonderful system as far as producing a large amount of cheap goods goes,
as well as in satisfying desires of most people through marketing.

It is not so wonderful when it comes, specifically, to controlling one's own weight, as I explained
in my another post which I have no interest in repeating.

I find empty doctrinaire arguments to be rather wasteful of our time.

i

On 8 Feb 2004 01:19:09 GMT, [email protected] (Meghan Noecker) wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:25:00 -0600, James Michael Howard <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>This could all be due to appetite. It is my hypothesis that testosterone is increasing.
>>Testosterone increases appetite. Increased appetite may simply make it more difficult to avoid
>>extra calories. This may all be increased appetite.
>>
>
>Hmm. I don't know.
>
>In my example with my chinese coworkers, I would have to say that at least at work, they eat more
>in a meal than I do. My quantities are smaller, but I'm sure my meals, at least before I started
>working on my WOE, are higher in calories.
>
>I'd have a hard time thinking it was based on appetite. I think it is more on actual calories. I
>was eating more sugar and fat, while they were eating rice, meat, and greens. Also, I don't
>think I have ever seen them drink any pop. Lots of tea, some canned fruit drinks, and one drank
>a lot of milk.
>
>
>
>
>Meghan & the Zoo Crew Equine and Pet Photography http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

Well, higher testosterone women, men, and children of higher testosterone are fatter too. It is a
combination of appetite and fat deposition.

Hello, excuse me if I am not fully upto speed on these topics - as I am new to the news groups and
as a man of 40 years young who has always been skinny no matter what I eat, I have never much
worried about my diet, instead being happy to rely in my youth on the diligence of my mother and
girlfriends as so many young men do! ~;o)

Now at my grand old age I find that I am as physically active as ever, but often lack the energy to
cope with the many responsibilities I now have in life. Worse still I have been informed that
despite the wide availability of critical nutrients in food, my age restricts my body's ability to
absorb some of these so well, such as the Qten coenzyme. Given that I am still regularly required to
out perform and chase around 20 year old young men in order to keep then in order, I have now found
it necessary to educate my self a little more in these matters! However, I am really only just
starting to make the effort to learn seriously about diet and nutrition.

As I understand it, the human race started out eating mainly fruits and then vegetables. As we
developed we started eating meat. It is only in a third phase of our dietary development that we
started eating breads, cereals, pasta and the like. I have heard it suggested that our bodies' have
perhaps still not yet fully evolved to deal with this ?

Many people talk about fruit and vegetable diets and some swear by the Paleolithic Diet but these
sound a bit extreme, as I was always taught to just follow- a balanced three course meal to ensure
my health. The Norwegians and Danes are famous for being very tall and large, in large part perhaps
because they eat such a meat biased diet (Denmark = densely populated and both countries have little
available farm land). The eastern cultures however, tend to eat meat with their vegetables and rice,
and still tend to be very small by comparison. Perhaps this is the origin of all the legends of
giants, dwarfs and little people around the world?

In Japan at least, increases in size have been noticeable in recent years due to exposure to foreign
eating habits, particularly hamburgers and other junk food. Does this not tell us anything?

The Mediterranean traditional diet consists much more of fruit and vegetables, as well as pasta. I
personally have not noticed any special overweight problems there. In Europe it tends to be the
Germans in particular who are berated for their over-weight tendencies. In fact they were the only
European nation who, along side the Americans were berated by the airlines about loosing weight if
they wanted cheaper airflights! They do eat copious amounts of cream and fat, particularly in their
desert collection. The Polish people on the other hand seem to have old habits still persisting
which include the spreading of pure lard on toast for breakfast. A friend of mine reported this one
with alarm after having been fed this delicacy. Only after eating it and delighting at the great
flavour did he realise what it was, much to his consternation. I have not heard of the Pols have
serious national obesity problems, but that maybe more to do with the lack of national research and
statistcs, at least that have been published. My friend assured me that the Polish men he met,
whilst good and friendly people, were quite intimidating due to their fitness and power, most likely
developed during their national military service, and generally required to be maintained
afterwards.

The British cuisine is even more famous. Fatty foods, fried breakfasts and the like cause great
consternation amongst Europeans. But think, UK is a mongrel nation formed from the Europeans in the
first place with all the inherited cultural and cuisine traditions, though clearly modified and
developed in our own style over the centuries. The Great British breakfast takes on a whole new
outlook, if you have been up since the crack of dawn, working out in the fields and cow sheds on a
farm or anywhere in the countryside. Cold. dark and damp mornings throughout the year can really
bring a chill right down into your bones. Just the smell of a British Breakfast when returning from
these arduous working life routines can be quite a revelation! The flavour is much better, and it
contains much of the energy and other content you need to survive this way of life, though obviously
local availabilities always plays a large part in any such cultural diet.

Dairy produce provides much of the vitamin D that we need to compensate for the lack of sunshine to
stimulate melanin production process via which Indians and other warmer climate populations get
their nutritional requirements. This became very apparent in the UK many years ago, when Indian
immigrants did not adjust their dietary habits to the new climate and frequently developed problems
with bendy joints and bones from a disease known as Rickets!

So where does all this leave us I wonder?

Is it really that diet that is the problem? Or is it the balance of our diet, particularly in
conjunction with our chosen life styles and genetic dispositions?

If it is the latter, then the next question that arises is, this a matter of education? Or simply
one of people's own self-discipline, particularly in respect to *listening* to their own bodies?

The body is constantly giving feedback through the sensation of taste cravings and feelings of
comfort or discomfort as we anticipate the next meal. Outward signs are more obvious, but tend to be
a case of looking in the rear view mirror to see where we are going! Overweight, shortness of
breath, lack of energy, problems with joints or even concentration (states confusion, absent
mindedness, memory problems) or are signs of a potential dietary defiance. The right kind of fatty
acids such as the well known Omega 3 group derived best from deep sea oily fish clearly affect these
things, as a good friend of mine knows only too well. Genetic inheritance left him and his sister
with all sorts of problems at school, particularly in terms of concentration and his joints and even
skin problems. Concentration and his mental faculties have significantly improved since taking Omega
3 supplements and just generally eating more fish.

Even if we spot the signs, do we have the motivation to do anything about it?

We need good motivation in order to make the commitment to following a healthier diet, but if it
does not appear to give any noticeable benefit to our chosen lifestyle it can be difficult to
maintain the discipline long enough for it to become a habit and hence part of our lifestyle. After
that the going gets easier as always.

I look forward to your comments and hopefully some enlightenment!

Pähkis

"Diarmid Logan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://www.dailyreviewonline.com/Stories/0,1413,88~10973~1939334,00.html
>
> Calorie increase linked to carbs
>
> Findings could reinforce current trend to avoid pastas and breads
>
> By Anahad O'Connor, New York Times
>
> We knew we ate more; we knew we had gained weight. Now a new study that looked at 30 years of
> Americans' eating habits has pinned down how many more calories, carbohydrates and fats are
> eaten daily.
>
> From 1971 to 2000, the study found, women increased their caloric intake by 22 percent, men by 7
> percent.
>
> Much of the change was found to be due to an increase in the amount of carbohydrates we have been
> eating. The findings may reinforce the current trend among those sometimes known as carb-avoids,
> of reducing or even eliminating foods like breads and pastas.
>
> And while the percentage of calories Americans get from fat, especially saturated fats, has
> decreased, the numbers might be deceiving. The actual amount of fat eaten on a daily basis has
> gone up. It just makes up a smaller percentage of the total caloric pie now that we are eating so
> many more carbs.
>
> The study, conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and reported in its current
> Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, found that in 1971, women ate 1,542 calories on average,
> compared with today's 1,877, while men went from 2,450 calories a day to 2,618. Those numbers
> dwarf the government's recommendations of 1,600 calories a day for women and 2,200 for men.
>
> Cookies, pasta, soda and other carbohydrates appear to be mostly to blame. Among women, carbs
> jumped from about 45 percent of the daily caloric intake to almost 52 percent. For men, they grew
> from 42 percent to 49.
>
> "This just confirms that Americans need to be more focused on a total calorie decrease," said
> Jacqueline Wright, an epidemiologist at the CDC and the author of the study.
>
> Wright said it was unclear whether the study would influence a revision of the Agriculture
> Department's familiar food pyramid, which currently emphasizes a diet rich in breads and grains.
>
> The findings come at a time when public health officials are concerned about a national epidemic
> of bulging waistlines. According to the National Institutes of Health, two-thirds of Americans are
> overweight and one-third are obese. Between 1971 and 2000, obesity rates more than doubled -- a
> result, many experts say, of an obsession with oversized portions.
>
> According to the report, most of the surge in caloric intake occurred in two periods, from 1976 to
> 1980 and from 1988 to 1994. An earlier report by Dr. Lisa Young of New York University tied that
> increase to decisions by national restaurant chains to expand portions of foods like French fries
> and hamburgers. Serving sizes, Young found, became two to five times bigger in those years, and
> cookbooks joined the trend by increasing the portion sizes in recipes.
>
> It is no surprise, said Dr. Gary Foster, the clinical director of the weight and eating disorders
> program at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, that "we've become more overweight
> as a country as candy bars are now king-sized and sodas are supersized."
>
> "It's much tougher to manage your weight in this environment than it was in 1970," Foster said.
>
> Part of the problem, some experts say, may stem from the traditional dietary advice to steer clear
> of fatty foods. That advice, they say, helped set off an explosion of "fat-free" carbohydrate-
> laden foods that Americans mistakenly believed they could eat with few consequences.
>
> "It's been the standard advice for decades that Americans should follow lower-fat, high-carb
> diets," said Dr. Meir Stamp-fer, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School
> of Public Health. "But now it's backfiring. It's clear that this doesn't work because it's not as
> satiating and people just start eating more calories. This report doesn't demonstrate that, but
> the results are consistent with it."
>
> The notion that carbohydrates can lead to weight gain has become the mantra of millions of
> dieters. On the Atkins program, for example, people can get up to two-thirds of their calories
> from fat and are allowed to eat fatty foods like hamburgers, as long as the bun is set aside.
>
> Wright said it was not clear what influence the popularity of low-carb diets would have in the
> long term, but added that the increase in carbohydrate consumption had not been as significant in
> the most recent surveys as it was in earlier years.
>
> But saturated fat is still a concern, and experts warned that the latest figures should not be
> taken as direct support for any of the low-carb diets. Instead, Wright said, they should be a
> reminder to Americans to eat less and exercise regularly.
>
> Foster said: "This doesn't tell us anything about the effectiveness of any one dietary approach.
> It suggests that we've been eating more calories over time and that most of it is coming from
> carbs. But particular diets need to be tested and supported by clinical trials."

"Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Genetics! Why do some people lift weights and never become work class body builders?
>
> Genetics.

If it is genetics then let's kill all the fat people and all the diabetics. In just a few years
those left will have wonderful bodies.

PJ

"DMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jean B. wrote...
> > Ignoramus17685 wrote:
> > > Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
> > > etc), not to all carbs.
> > >
> > > And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more
> > > and more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
> >
> > I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
> > addict people to them.
>
> I think people should read Ayn Rand's "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" These unquestioned attacks
> against capitalism are unfounded and contradictory. Note that people attack business for foisting
> carbs and the food pyramid on us then turn around and attack the companies that are coming to
> market with lo-carb products. (This is not meant to refer specifically to the posters in this
> thread but a general comment). By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and
> conspiracy or of cashing-in and profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that capitialism is
> both practical and moral because selfishness is good.
>
> Regards, David

Yes David, we all know that Ayn Rand was a radical conservativeand that Conservatism is a Mental
Disease. The New England Journal of Medicine reports on a study that shows that Conservatism is a
mental disease. The symptoms are rigid thinking, lack of mental flexability, disrespect for the
rights of others and greed. The treatment for the condition consists of anti-depressives and
laxatives.

In relation to this study, just funded by the govt, it should be noted that all this fear and
agression stems from the hypothalamus of the brain, literally the primitive part of the brain, as
opposed to objective thinking, compromise, and tolerance of ambiguity which stems from the
frontal lobes.

it is literally neandrathal behavior.

[email protected] (Diarmid Logan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> http://www.dailyreviewonline.com/Stories/0,1413,88~10973~1939334,00.html
>
> Calorie increase linked to carbs
>
> Findings could reinforce current trend to avoid pastas and breads
>
> By Anahad O'Connor, New York Times
>
> We knew we ate more; we knew we had gained weight. Now a new study that looked at 30 years of
> Americans' eating habits has pinned down how many more calories, carbohydrates and fats are
> eaten daily.
>
> From 1971 to 2000, the study found, women increased their caloric intake by 22 percent, men by 7
> percent.

<Deletia>

>
> "It's been the standard advice for decades that Americans should follow lower-fat, high-carb
> diets," said Dr. Meir Stamp-fer, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School
> of Public Health. "But now it's backfiring. It's clear that this doesn't work because it's not as
> satiating and people just start eating more calories. This report doesn't demonstrate that, but
> the results are consistent with it."

Also consistent is the fact that the caloric increase for women is much greater than that for
men. What segment of the population generally tries to eat a low fat diet? Women.....

No comment, Terry?

Moosh:)

On 6 Feb 2004 10:01:40 -0800, [email protected] (Diarmid Logan) posted:

>http://www.dailyreviewonline.com/Stories/0,1413,88~10973~1939334,00.html
>
>Calorie increase linked to carbs
>
>Findings could reinforce current trend to avoid pastas and breads
>
>By Anahad O'Connor, New York Times
>
>We knew we ate more; we knew we had gained weight. Now a new study that looked at 30 years of
>Americans' eating habits has pinned down how many more calories, carbohydrates and fats are
>eaten daily.
>
>From 1971 to 2000, the study found, women increased their caloric intake by 22 percent, men by
>7 percent.
>
>Much of the change was found to be due to an increase in the amount of carbohydrates we have been
>eating. The findings may reinforce the current trend among those sometimes known as carb-avoids, of
>reducing or even eliminating foods like breads and pastas.
>
>And while the percentage of calories Americans get from fat, especially saturated fats, has
>decreased, the numbers might be deceiving. The actual amount of fat eaten on a daily basis has gone
>up. It just makes up a smaller percentage of the total caloric pie now that we are eating so many
>more carbs.
>
>The study, conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and reported in its current
>Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, found that in 1971, women ate 1,542 calories on average,
>compared with today's 1,877, while men went from 2,450 calories a day to 2,618. Those numbers dwarf
>the government's recommendations of 1,600 calories a day for women and 2,200 for men.
>
>Cookies, pasta, soda and other carbohydrates appear to be mostly to blame. Among women, carbs
>jumped from about 45 percent of the daily caloric intake to almost 52 percent. For men, they grew
>from 42 percent to 49.
>
>"This just confirms that Americans need to be more focused on a total calorie decrease," said
>Jacqueline Wright, an epidemiologist at the CDC and the author of the study.
>
>Wright said it was unclear whether the study would influence a revision of the Agriculture
>Department's familiar food pyramid, which currently emphasizes a diet rich in breads and grains.
>
>The findings come at a time when public health officials are concerned about a national epidemic of
>bulging waistlines. According to the National Institutes of Health, two-thirds of Americans are
>overweight and one-third are obese. Between 1971 and 2000, obesity rates more than doubled -- a
>result, many experts say, of an obsession with oversized portions.
>
>According to the report, most of the surge in caloric intake occurred in two periods, from 1976 to
>1980 and from 1988 to 1994. An earlier report by Dr. Lisa Young of New York University tied that
>increase to decisions by national restaurant chains to expand portions of foods like French fries
>and hamburgers. Serving sizes, Young found, became two to five times bigger in those years, and
>cookbooks joined the trend by increasing the portion sizes in recipes.
>
>It is no surprise, said Dr. Gary Foster, the clinical director of the weight and eating disorders
>program at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, that "we've become more overweight as
>a country as candy bars are now king-sized and sodas are supersized."
>
>"It's much tougher to manage your weight in this environment than it was in 1970," Foster said.
>
>Part of the problem, some experts say, may stem from the traditional dietary advice to steer clear
>of fatty foods. That advice, they say, helped set off an explosion of "fat-free" carbohydrate-laden
>foods that Americans mistakenly believed they could eat with few consequences.
>
>"It's been the standard advice for decades that Americans should follow lower-fat, high-carb
>diets," said Dr. Meir Stamp-fer, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of
>Public Health. "But now it's backfiring. It's clear that this doesn't work because it's not as
>satiating and people just start eating more calories. This report doesn't demonstrate that, but the
>results are consistent with it."
>
>The notion that carbohydrates can lead to weight gain has become the mantra of millions of dieters.
>On the Atkins program, for example, people can get up to two-thirds of their calories from fat and
>are allowed to eat fatty foods like hamburgers, as long as the bun is set aside.
>
>Wright said it was not clear what influence the popularity of low-carb diets would have in the long
>term, but added that the increase in carbohydrate consumption had not been as significant in the
>most recent surveys as it was in earlier years.
>
>But saturated fat is still a concern, and experts warned that the latest figures should not be
>taken as direct support for any of the low-carb diets. Instead, Wright said, they should be a
>reminder to Americans to eat less and exercise regularly.
>
>Foster said: "This doesn't tell us anything about the effectiveness of any one dietary approach. It
>suggests that we've been eating more calories over time and that most of it is coming from carbs.
>But particular diets need to be tested and supported by clinical trials."

Once upon a time, our fellow Chris Spencer rambled on about "Re: Calorie increase linked to carbs."
Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

>Hello, excuse me if I am not fully upto speed on these topics - as I am new to the news groups and
>as a man of 40 years young who has always been skinny no matter what I eat, I have never much
>worried about my diet, instead being happy to rely in my youth on the diligence of my mother and
>girlfriends as so many young men do! ~;o)
>
>Now at my grand old age I find that I am as physically active as ever, ...

Perhaps, if you were to start with the punch line first, followed by the details?

"... you have my sympathies" Science Officer Ash to Ripley, in the movie ALIEN.

"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> No comment, Terry?
>
> Moosh:)
>
>
> On 6 Feb 2004 10:01:40 -0800, [email protected] (Diarmid Logan) posted:
>
> >http://www.dailyreviewonline.com/Stories/0,1413,88~10973~1939334,00.html
> >
> >Calorie increase linked to carbs
> >
> >Findings could reinforce current trend to avoid pastas and breads
> >
> >By Anahad O'Connor, New York Times
> >
> >We knew we ate more; we knew we had gained weight. Now a new study that looked at 30 years of
> >Americans' eating habits has pinned down how many more calories, carbohydrates and fats are
> >eaten daily.
> >
> >From 1971 to 2000, the study found, women increased their caloric intake by 22 percent, men by 7
> >percent.
> >
> >Much of the change was found to be due to an increase in the amount of carbohydrates we have been
> >eating. The findings may reinforce the current trend among those sometimes known as carb-avoids,
> >of reducing or even eliminating foods like breads and pastas.

I already made my comment. These findings confirm what I've said all along.

BTW, happy trolling Moosh.

TC

[email protected] (gman99) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (Diarmid Logan) wrote:
> > http://www.dailyreviewonline.com/Stories/0,1413,88~10973~1939334,00.html
> >
> > Calorie increase linked to carbs
> >
>
> Dumbass...calories are linked to MORE FOOD. The low fat has been pushed for years now, a lot of
> people bought into that. Well, we're still FAT and the calories had to come from somewhere !!

A comment like that and you call *me* a dumbass.....

Sheesh

TC

Peanutjake wrote...
> DMF wrote...
> > I think people should read Ayn Rand's "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" These unquestioned attacks
> > against capitalism are unfounded and contradictory. Note that people attack business for
> > foisting carbs and the food pyramid on us then turn around and attack the companies that are
> > coming to market with lo-carb products. (This is not meant to refer specifically to the posters
> > in this thread but a general comment). By these standards every company is guilty of either
> > fraud and conspiracy or of cashing-in and profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that
> > capitialism is both practical and moral because selfishness is good.
>
> Yes David, we all know that Ayn Rand was a radical conservativeand that Conservatism is a Mental
> Disease. The New England Journal of Medicine reports on a study that shows that Conservatism is a
> mental disease. The symptoms are rigid thinking, lack of mental flexability, disrespect for the
> rights of others and greed. The treatment for the condition consists of anti-depressives and
> laxatives.
>
> In relation to this study, just funded by the govt, it should be noted that all this fear and
> agression stems from the hypothalamus of the brain, literally the primitive part of the brain, as
> opposed to objective thinking, compromise, and tolerance of ambiguity which stems from the frontal
> lobes. It is literally neandrathal behavior.

This argument is Ad Hominem mascarading as science.

I just noticed that this thread is cross-posted to numerous newsgroups so I won't argue the merits
or demerits of Ayn Rand's ideas on these nutrition/diet forums. However, I will say that she is
equally hated on both the left and the right. Moreover, these attacks, smears and mis-
representation of her ideas has been going on for decades now, so that is nothing new.

My main point -- after seeing people denounce business for both selling carbos and selling low-carb
products -- is that business and capitalism are not the enemy. The problem is that most people do
not know what capitalism is nor what moral theory it requires. Instead of accepting what others say
Ayn Rand said -- I recommend that people read her books and judge for themselves.

Regards, David

Not quite that simple. We still have to watch our intakes and outputs, just to a lesser or
greater degree.

Are you voluntering your sacrifice?

"Peanutjake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...
>
> "Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Genetics! Why do some people lift weights and never become work class
body
> > builders?
> >
> > Genetics.
>
> If it is genetics then let's kill all the fat people and all the
diabetics. In just a few years
> those left will have wonderful bodies.
>
> PJ

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:05:42 -0600, James Michael Howard
<[email protected]> wrote:
>
>
>Well, higher testosterone women, men, and children of higher testosterone are fatter too. It is a
>combination of appetite and fat deposition.

Is this a recent study? How did they determine this?

It may have beenmistaken, but I saw a program that talked about femail weightlifters choosing to
take testosterone because they could build muscle better. Women are designed to be higher in fat
than men, so it seems to make sense that male hormones would be more helpful in fat loss, not gain.

Before puberty, boys and girls are about the same in terms of typical body fat percentage. It is
only after the hormone changes that we differ.

On 8 Feb 2004 01:20:39 GMT, [email protected] (Meghan Noecker)
wrote:

>So, bad genes made us fat? If that's the case, why bother?

too big portions of food for every meal and far too many meals a day and complete lack of motion,
except the motion done by your feet when you press down the foot brake or gas pedal.

"Jean B." <[email protected]> wrote in alt.support.diet.low-carb:

> Ignoramus17685 wrote:
>>
>> Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
>> etc), not to all carbs.
>>
>> And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more and
>> more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
>>
>> i
>>
>
> I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
> addict people to them....
>

There doesn't have to be anything evil or underhanded about it. Food companies spend millions of
dollars testing products to see which ones sell better. It's only natural that they would learn that
certain ingredients cause the test subject to eat more of the product.

What they DON'T spend money on is determining the long-term affect of their product on a person's
general health. Why should they? They aren't in the health business, they're in the business of
selling food.

As another factor, the public as a whole wants their food cheap. As an example, it's easy and cheap
to make taco shells out of corn. It's not as easy and cheap to spend a lot of money figuring out how
to come up with a low-carb imitation of that taco shell, especially when up until recently, not that
many people were interested in buying them.

When it comes right down to it, the food companies are driven by what we buy. If enough people stop
buying regular Doritos and start buying some low-carb version, Frito-Lay or whoever it is that makes
Doritos will take notice and come up with a product that we'll buy. As long as enough people keep
buying the high-carb garbage foods, why should the food companies have any reason to put forth the
effort and money?

--
Jason Baugher [email protected]