Calorie increase linked to carbs

D

Diarmid Logan

http://www.dailyreviewonline.com/Stories/0,1413,88~10973~1939334,00.html

Calorie increase linked to carbs

Findings could reinforce current trend to avoid pastas and breads

By Anahad O'Connor, New York Times

We knew we ate more; we knew we had gained weight. Now a new study that looked at 30 years of
Americans' eating habits has pinned down how many more calories, carbohydrates and fats are
eaten daily.

From 1971 to 2000, the study found, women increased their caloric intake by 22 percent, men by
7 percent.

Much of the change was found to be due to an increase in the amount of carbohydrates we have been
eating. The findings may reinforce the current trend among those sometimes known as carb-avoids, of
reducing or even eliminating foods like breads and pastas.

And while the percentage of calories Americans get from fat, especially saturated fats, has
decreased, the numbers might be deceiving. The actual amount of fat eaten on a daily basis has gone
up. It just makes up a smaller percentage of the total caloric pie now that we are eating so many
more carbs.

The study, conducted by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and reported in its current
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, found that in 1971, women ate 1,542 calories on average,
compared with today's 1,877, while men went from 2,450 calories a day to 2,618. Those numbers dwarf
the government's recommendations of 1,600 calories a day for women and 2,200 for men.

Cookies, pasta, soda and other carbohydrates appear to be mostly to blame. Among women, carbs jumped
from about 45 percent of the daily caloric intake to almost 52 percent. For men, they grew from 42
percent to 49.

"This just confirms that Americans need to be more focused on a total calorie decrease," said
Jacqueline Wright, an epidemiologist at the CDC and the author of the study.

Wright said it was unclear whether the study would influence a revision of the Agriculture
Department's familiar food pyramid, which currently emphasizes a diet rich in breads and grains.

The findings come at a time when public health officials are concerned about a national epidemic of
bulging waistlines. According to the National Institutes of Health, two-thirds of Americans are
overweight and one-third are obese. Between 1971 and 2000, obesity rates more than doubled -- a
result, many experts say, of an obsession with oversized portions.

According to the report, most of the surge in caloric intake occurred in two periods, from 1976 to
1980 and from 1988 to 1994. An earlier report by Dr. Lisa Young of New York University tied that
increase to decisions by national restaurant chains to expand portions of foods like French fries
and hamburgers. Serving sizes, Young found, became two to five times bigger in those years, and
cookbooks joined the trend by increasing the portion sizes in recipes.

It is no surprise, said Dr. Gary Foster, the clinical director of the weight and eating disorders
program at the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, that "we've become more overweight as
a country as candy bars are now king-sized and sodas are supersized."

"It's much tougher to manage your weight in this environment than it was in 1970," Foster said.

Part of the problem, some experts say, may stem from the traditional dietary advice to steer clear
of fatty foods. That advice, they say, helped set off an explosion of "fat-free" carbohydrate-laden
foods that Americans mistakenly believed they could eat with few consequences.

"It's been the standard advice for decades that Americans should follow lower-fat, high-carb diets,"
said Dr. Meir Stamp-fer, a professor of epidemiology and nutrition at the Harvard School of Public
Health. "But now it's backfiring. It's clear that this doesn't work because it's not as satiating
and people just start eating more calories. This report doesn't demonstrate that, but the results
are consistent with it."

The notion that carbohydrates can lead to weight gain has become the mantra of millions of dieters.
On the Atkins program, for example, people can get up to two-thirds of their calories from fat and
are allowed to eat fatty foods like hamburgers, as long as the bun is set aside.

Wright said it was not clear what influence the popularity of low-carb diets would have in the long
term, but added that the increase in carbohydrate consumption had not been as significant in the
most recent surveys as it was in earlier years.

But saturated fat is still a concern, and experts warned that the latest figures should not be taken
as direct support for any of the low-carb diets. Instead, Wright said, they should be a reminder to
Americans to eat less and exercise regularly.

Foster said: "This doesn't tell us anything about the effectiveness of any one dietary approach. It
suggests that we've been eating more calories over time and that most of it is coming from carbs.
But particular diets need to be tested and supported by clinical trials."

Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas etc),
not to all carbs.

And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more and
more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.

i

In article <[email protected]>, Diarmid Logan wrote:
> Cookies, pasta, soda and other carbohydrates appear to be mostly to blame. Among women, carbs
> jumped from about 45 percent of the daily caloric intake to almost 52 percent. For men, they grew
> from 42 percent to 49.

I respectfully disagree. My biggest source of carb induced increased appetite was from rice.
If anything, too much candy and sugar made me feel sick and weak with no desire for any
additional food.

"Ignoramus17685" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IO2dnfV7e-x_Qb7dXTWc-
[email protected]...
> Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
> etc), not to all carbs.

While that may be your personal experience, the article states:

"Cookies, pasta, soda and other carbohydrates appear to be mostly to blame."

On 2/6/2004 2:15 PM, Cubit wrote:
> I respectfully disagree. My biggest source of carb induced increased appetite was from rice.
> If anything, too much candy and sugar made me feel sick and weak with no desire for any
> additional food.
>
>
>
> "Ignoramus17685" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IO2dnfV7e-x_Qb7dXTWc-
> [email protected]...
>
>>Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
>>etc), not to all carbs.
>
>
>

--
jmk in NC

Ignoramus17685 wrote:
>
> Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
> etc), not to all carbs.
>
> And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more and
> more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
>
> i
>

I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would addict
people to them....

--
Jean B.

In article <[email protected]>, Jean B. wrote:
> Ignoramus17685 wrote:
>>
>> Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
>> etc), not to all carbs.
>>
>> And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more and
>> more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
>>
>> i
>>
>
> I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
> addict people to them....
>

They don't have to be secret... just addictive. think about adding caffeine to sodas, tons of MSG to
potato chips, etc.

i

Jean B. wrote...
> Ignoramus17685 wrote:
> > Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
> > etc), not to all carbs.
> >
> > And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more and
> > more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
>
> I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
> addict people to them.

I think people should read Ayn Rand's "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" These unquestioned attacks
against capitalism are unfounded and contradictory. Note that people attack business for foisting
carbs and the food pyramid on us then turn around and attack the companies that are coming to market
with lo-carb products. (This is not meant to refer specifically to the posters in this thread but a
general comment). By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and conspiracy or of
cashing-in and profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that capitialism is both practical and
moral because selfishness is good.

Regards, David

Isn't she that failed psychic from the 60's?

"DMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Jean B. wrote...
> > Ignoramus17685 wrote:
> > > Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
> > > etc), not to all carbs.
> > >
> > > And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more
> > > and more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
> >
> > I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
> > addict people to them.
>
> I think people should read Ayn Rand's "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" These unquestioned attacks
> against capitalism are unfounded and contradictory. Note that people attack business for foisting
> carbs and the food pyramid on us then turn around and attack the companies that are coming to
> market with lo-carb products. (This is not meant to refer specifically to the posters in this
> thread but a general
comment).
> By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and conspiracy or of cashing-in and
> profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that capitialism is both practical and moral because
> selfishness is good.
>
> Regards, David

In article <[email protected]>, DMF wrote:
> Jean B. wrote...
>> Ignoramus17685 wrote:
>> > Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
>> > etc), not to all carbs.
>> >
>> > And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more
>> > and more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
>>
>> I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
>> addict people to them.
>
> I think people should read Ayn Rand's "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" These unquestioned attacks
> against capitalism are unfounded and contradictory. Note that people attack business for foisting
> carbs and the food pyramid on us then turn around and attack the companies that are coming to
> market with lo-carb products. (This is not meant to refer specifically to the posters in this
> thread but a general comment). By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and
> conspiracy or of cashing-in and profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that capitialism is
> both practical and moral because selfishness is good.

much general ******** without specifics...

i

> "DMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Jean B. wrote...
> > > Ignoramus17685 wrote:
> > > > Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies,
> > > > sodas etc), not to all carbs.
> > > >
> > > > And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more
> > > > and more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
> > >
> > > I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
> > > addict people to them.
> >
> > I think people should read Ayn Rand's "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" These unquestioned attacks
> > against capitalism are unfounded and contradictory. Note that people attack business for
> > foisting carbs and the food pyramid on us then turn around and attack the companies that are
> > coming to market with lo-carb products. (This is not meant to refer specifically to the posters
> > in this thread but a general
> comment).
> > By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and
conspiracy
> > or of cashing-in and profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that capitialism is both
> > practical and moral because selfishness is good.
> >
> > Regards, David
> >

"Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Isn't she that failed psychic from the 60's?
>

Ha, ha, ha. I hope you're kidding. If not, you're another victim of our "education" system.
Check out:

http://www.ayn-rand.com/

or better yet go to the library and check out her books.

Yup, wrong person...excuse me!

"That T Woman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> > "DMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > Jean B. wrote...
> > > > Ignoramus17685 wrote:
> > > > > Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies,
> > > > > sodas etc), not to all carbs.
> > > > >
> > > > > And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat
> > > > > more and more of them. So no wonder they are so addictive.
> > > >
> > > > I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that
> > > > would addict people to them.
> > >
> > > I think people should read Ayn Rand's "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal" These unquestioned
> > > attacks against capitalism are unfounded and contradictory. Note that people attack business
> > > for foisting carbs and the food pyramid on us then turn around and attack the companies that
> > > are coming to market with lo-carb products. (This is not meant to refer specifically to the
> > > posters in this thread but a general
> > comment).
> > > By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and
> conspiracy
> > > or of cashing-in and profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues
that
> > > capitialism is both practical and moral because selfishness is good.
> > >
> > > Regards, David
> > >
>
>
> "Pizza Girl" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Isn't she that failed psychic from the 60's?
> >
>
> Ha, ha, ha. I hope you're kidding. If not, you're another victim of our "education" system.
> Check out:
>
> http://www.ayn-rand.com/
>
> or better yet go to the library and check out her books.

On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:15:20 GMT, "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I respectfully disagree. My biggest source of carb induced increased appetite was from rice.
>If anything, too much candy and sugar made me feel sick and weak with no desire for any
>additional food.
>

So, why is it that I work with 9 chinese people who eat rice all the time and are all skinny, while
I am overweight and barely ever eat rice?

Duh! I eat more sugar than they do. I have worked with over 20 chinese people over the last 10 years
or so, and only one of them really cares for sweets. He was skinny too, but he would eat a cookie or
piece of candy. The others always say it is too sweet.

Meghan & the Zoo Crew Equine and Pet Photography http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

That is a great question.

"Meghan Noecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:15:20 GMT, "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I respectfully disagree. My biggest source of carb induced increased appetite was from rice. If
> >anything, too much candy and sugar made me
feel
> >sick and weak with no desire for any additional food.
> >
>
> So, why is it that I work with 9 chinese people who eat rice all the time and are all skinny,
> while I am overweight and barely ever eat rice?
>
> Duh! I eat more sugar than they do. I have worked with over 20 chinese people over the last 10
> years or so, and only one of them really cares for sweets. He was skinny too, but he would eat a
> cookie or piece of candy. The others always say it is too sweet.
>
>
> Meghan & the Zoo Crew Equine and Pet Photography http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

In article <[email protected]>, Cubit wrote:
> I respectfully disagree. My biggest source of carb induced increased appetite was from rice.
> If anything, too much candy and sugar made me feel sick and weak with no desire for any
> additional food.
>

Cubit, we discussed the article and its conclusions, not what is happening to individual people
specifically.

i

>
> "Ignoramus17685" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:IO2dnfV7e-x_Qb7dXTWc-
> [email protected]...
>> Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
>> etc), not to all carbs.

> addict people to them....
>
> --
> Jean B.

just like the tobacco companies did?

This could all be due to appetite. It is my hypothesis that testosterone is increasing. Testosterone
increases appetite. Increased appetite may simply make it more difficult to avoid extra calories.
This may all be increased appetite.

James Michael Howard www.anthropogeny.com

"DMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Jean B. wrote...
> > > Diarmid, a more correct statement would be to link calorie intake to junk food (cookies, sodas
> > >
> > > And what's interesting about junk foods? They are made by companies who want you to eat more
> >
> > I just got a vision of these companies adding secret ingredients to their products that would
>
> thread but a general
comment).
> By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and conspiracy or of cashing-in and
> profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that capitialism is both practical and moral because
> selfishness is good.
>
> Regards, David

She was an incredible person with more forsight than most. I'm just finishing Atlas Shrugged and it
is now one of my most favorite books.

Martha

Genetics! Why do some people lift weights and never become work class body builders?

Genetics.

"Meghan Noecker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 19:15:20 GMT, "Cubit" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I respectfully disagree. My biggest source of carb induced increased appetite was from rice. If
> >anything, too much candy and sugar made me
feel
> >sick and weak with no desire for any additional food.
> >
>
> So, why is it that I work with 9 chinese people who eat rice all the time and are all skinny,
> while I am overweight and barely ever eat rice?
>
> Duh! I eat more sugar than they do. I have worked with over 20 chinese people over the last 10
> years or so, and only one of them really cares for sweets. He was skinny too, but he would eat a
> cookie or piece of candy. The others always say it is too sweet.
>
>
> Meghan & the Zoo Crew Equine and Pet Photography http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

Pizza Girl wrote:

> Genetics! Why do some people lift weights and never become work class body builders?
>
> Genetics.

"World-class...?"

Uh, because that isn't their goal? Or because they don't want to do it along with the other things
it takes? Or because they're too old? Or because they aren't symmetrical enough to begin with?
Broken bones while young that misshaped their bodies.

Genetic limits can be one reason why. Certainly not the only one.

Bob

"DMF" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Jean B. wrote...
> > >
> >
>
> thread but a general comment). By these standards every company is guilty of either fraud and
> conspiracy or of cashing-in and profiting from a diet "fad". Ayn Rand argues that capitialism is
> both practical and moral because selfishness is good.

Set up a straw man and then destroy it. Everything is about the pursuit of profits. So any trick
that gets you more money is worthwhile as long as there are no reprecussions that cause you to lose
more money than you gained. In spite of all the supplications at the feet of Ayn Rand the problem of
corruption is never explained away. An example would be the corruption of the medical community by
drug companies that exert a lot of effort to recruit doctors as their pushers. Bayer AG and its
wonderful product Baycol is a contradiction to the theories of the "best of all possible worlds"
delusionists that worship Ayn Rand.