Calories Burned By Walking

"Scott Safier" <[email protected]o_Org.SPAM> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I got down to 6% this past summer by doing lots of aerobics (I bike (like 3 hours a day)) and
> eating a high protein diet. very little muscle loss. Oh, and I'm 40 y/o.
>
> As has been pointed out, it's both diet and exercise. It's also commitment and discipline. Things
> like pedometers, food diaries, (and wearable computers) provide information to help achieve your
> goals, but in the end, it's really up to you.
>

Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer? Also, can
you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it but
eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly consisted of
me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal with the diary?

Thanks again.

"Ignoramus21054" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>
> To reduce the bodyfat but keep muscle, you should eat less calories than you spend, eat enough
> meat or other protein (do not go overboard), and strength train.
>
> Gimmick exercises that are supposed to "burn fat" do not work. Something may burn more fat than
> glucose, but in the end some muscle will be cannibalized anyway if you are not working on your
> muscles.
>

I realize I am getting this whole thing off the topic of walking and I apoligze for that but I am
getting some great stuff here from you guys. Anyhow, I am generally a big eater but I excersise a
lot and do a large amount of stregth training. So I suppose maybe I should just not worry as much
about losing the muscle and concentrate on the calories. I beleive I coudl problably vut a lot out
of my diet which is generally healthy but usually large. I love eating meat. What kind of meals and
mid day snacks can you reccomend?

In article <EHlfb.12379$Rd4.2370@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
>
> "Ignoramus21054" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>
>> To reduce the bodyfat but keep muscle, you should eat less calories than you spend, eat enough
>> meat or other protein (do not go overboard), and strength train.
>>
>> Gimmick exercises that are supposed to "burn fat" do not work. Something may burn more fat than
>> glucose, but in the end some muscle will be cannibalized anyway if you are not working on your
>> muscles.
>>
>
> I realize I am getting this whole thing off the topic of walking and I apoligze for that but I am
> getting some great stuff here from you guys. Anyhow, I am generally a big eater but I excersise a
> lot and do a large amount of stregth training. So I suppose maybe I should just not worry as much
> about losing the muscle and concentrate on the calories.

Why can't you concentrate on both calories as well as exercise?

I do not understand why you think that you have to choose what to concentrate on. You can and
should do both.

> I beleive I coudl problably vut a lot out of my diet which is generally healthy but usually large.
> I love eating meat. What kind of meals and mid day snacks can you reccomend?

I recommend not eating anything sweetened and no junk food.

Aside from that, I think, I would let your own taste do the picking, within your calorie limit. If
you like meat, eat meat, if you like fish, eat fish, if you like bread, eat good bread -- but do not
exceed your calorie count for the day.

And exercise a lot.

It's that simple.

What is your weight and height?

i

>
> Why can't you concentrate on both calories as well as exercise?
>
> I do not understand why you think that you have to choose what to concentrate on. You can and
> should do both.

I just do not want to burn muscle away. I could problably go on 1/10th the amount of calories I get
and drop a ton of weight, but this is not what I want to do because I would be losing muscle mass I
have worked so diligiently on for years.

>
> What is your weight and height?
>

6'1" - 215 - in pretty solid shape but would like to lower bodyfat.

In article <ADlfb.12376$Rd4.3824@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
> Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer? Also,
> can you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it but
> eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly
> consisted of me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal
> with the diary?

I am not frankly sure what is the purpose of a pedometer.

i

In article <dcofb.12691$Rd4.1825@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
>
>
>>
>> Why can't you concentrate on both calories as well as exercise?
>>
>> I do not understand why you think that you have to choose what to concentrate on. You can and
>> should do both.
>
> I just do not want to burn muscle away. I could problably go on 1/10th the amount of calories I
> get and drop a ton of weight, but this is not what I want to do because I would be losing muscle
> mass I have worked so diligiently on for years.

Go on 70% the amount of calories that you would need to maintain weight and continue strength
training. What's the problem, why do you want to even consider going on 1/10 the calories?

>
>>
>> What is your weight and height?
>>
>
> 6'1" - 215 - in pretty solid shape but would like to lower bodyfat.

eat less, exercise more...

i

> In article <dcofb.12691$Rd4.1825@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
> >
> > "Ignoramus21054" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>
> >> Why can't you concentrate on both calories as well as exercise?
> >>
> >> I do not understand why you think that you have to choose what to concentrate on. You can and
> >> should do both.
> >
> > I just do not want to burn muscle away. I could problably go on 1/10th
the
> > amount of calories I get and drop a ton of weight, but this is not what
I
> > want to do because I would be losing muscle mass I have worked so diligiently on for years.
>
> Go on 70% the amount of calories that you would need to maintain weight and continue strength
> training. What's the problem, why do you want to even consider going on 1/10 the calories?

What I was saying is that I have the discipline to be able to do that. I was using that as an
extreme example, not something I would actually do. The thing is, every bodybuilding magazine I read
always discusses the importance of getting the proper amount of food consumption to allow muscles to
rebuild properly. What worries me about cutting calories is that my muscles will not have the proper
amount. Cutting 70% sounds good and all but it sounds much more like just a diet plan which is not
what I am looking for.

Marcello:
>
> "Scott Safier" <[email protected]o_Org.SPAM> wrote in message
>
>> I got down to 6% this past summer by doing lots of aerobics (I bike (like 3 hours a day)) and
>> eating a high protein diet. very little muscle loss. Oh, and I'm 40 y/o.
>>
>> As has been pointed out, it's both diet and exercise. It's also commitment and discipline. Things
>> like pedometers, food diaries, (and wearable computers) provide information to help achieve your
>> goals, but in the end, it's really up to you.
>>
>
>
> Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer?

I tend to agree with the other poster that the value of pedometers is limited. A simple step count
is one source of information, but doesn't really tell you how many calories you are burning.

>Also, can you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it
>but eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly
>consisted of me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal with
>the diary?

The goal is this idea of energy balance or caloric balance. If you want to lose weight, you need to
burn more calories than you are consuming (and, I would argue, pay attention to the type of calories
you are consuming). People burn calories through exercise and movement (e.g. walking more).

A food diary is half the energy balance equation. Basically, it is a record of how many calories you
are consuming -- what you are eating, size of portion, etc. To be blunt, they are a pain in the ass.
There are systems to make them easier, like Weight Watchers or a variety of websites. There are
studies (which I have at work) that show that people are very bad at keeping food diaries -- people
underestimate what they are eating. However, if you are serious about weight loss, you need some
method of understanding how many calories you are putting into your body, even if you make mistakes.

The other side of the equation is how many calories you are burning.

As I've said, I work for a company that has developed a wearable computer. I've had access to it.
We've done clinical studies and come up with algorithms to estimate caloric burn based upon the data
the computer's multiple sensors collect (and, please remember, I am under a non-disclosure agreement
on the specifics of such algorithms). Our technology has been tested in clinical studies. So, when
it tells me that I'm burning over 3000 calories a day (and I bike for 60 to 90 minutes per day), I
tend to believe it is pretty much on target. When I bike for 3 hours a day and the device tells me
I'm burning over 5000 calories, I believe that. I can then adjust how much I'm eating to either
maintain or lose weight.

As I pointed out in my other post, this is all about feedback. The food diary and the
pedometer/wearable computer/etc simply provide information about how well you are doing. Your
bathroom scale also provides that feedback, as does a mirror. However, the scale provides a more
coarse granularity (say, over a week or a month timeframe) than does a pedometer (or wearable
computer), which can provide daily (or even hourly or at any minute) information.

As a computer geek, I tend to believe there is value in information, and sometimes more is better.
For weight management, information comes in two flavors -- how much you are putting in and how much
you are expending. Food diaries and pedometers/wearable computers/caloric burn numbers on
treadmills/etc are the two sides of this scale.

--
Scott http://www.pink-triangle.org/scott AOL IM: CorwinScot YahooIM: CycleMuscle

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong.
Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of
the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with
pizza." -- Daria

Ignoramus21054:
> In article <ADlfb.12376$Rd4.3824@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
>> Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer? Also,
>> can you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it but
>> eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly
>> consisted of me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal
>> with the diary?
>
> I am not frankly sure what is the purpose of a pedometer.

This is the easier question :) The purpose of such devices is to provide information and feedback.
Why a pedometer? Because, if your goal is weight loss, you should move more -- walk, run, jog,
(bike). With a device like a pedometer, you get a number from which you can baseline. If you took
10,000 steps yesterday, and take 11,000 today, you've done better. If you walk 11,000 steps and you
assume that your rate is 3 METS, you can figure out an estimate of how many calories you're burning.
The problem is that it isn't 3 mets. It might be 2 mets. It might be 8. If your jogging/running it
might be 13. It could be anywhere in between.

If you want to know how many calories you are actually burning, well, you probably need to get in a
doubly-labeled water study. Or you can be hooked up to an indirect calometry machine (VO2), but that
is really inconvenient for free-living.

Unabashed plug: or, you can get one of these new wearable computer gizmos where they do correlate to
indirect calomitry and get an estimate of your caloric burn.

So, the simple answer is that most people simply want information and feedback. How good is that
feedback is the real problem.

I bet you knew most of this, didn't you :)

--
Scott http://www.pink-triangle.org/scott AOL IM: CorwinScot YahooIM: CycleMuscle

"Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong.
Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of
the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with
pizza." -- Daria

Marcello:
>
>> In article <dcofb.12691$Rd4.1825@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
>> >
>> > "Ignoramus21054" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> >>
>> >> Why can't you concentrate on both calories as well as exercise?
>> >>
>> >> I do not understand why you think that you have to choose what to concentrate on. You can and
>> >> should do both.
>> >
>> > I just do not want to burn muscle away. I could problably go on 1/10th
> the
>> > amount of calories I get and drop a ton of weight, but this is not what
> I
>> > want to do because I would be losing muscle mass I have worked so diligiently on for years.
>>
>> Go on 70% the amount of calories that you would need to maintain weight and continue strength
>> training. What's the problem, why do you want to even consider going on 1/10 the calories?
>
> What I was saying is that I have the discipline to be able to do that. I was using that as an
> extreme example, not something I would actually do. The thing is, every bodybuilding magazine I
> read always discusses the importance of getting the proper amount of food consumption to allow
> muscles to rebuild properly. What worries me about cutting calories is that my muscles will not
> have the proper amount. Cutting 70% sounds good and all but it sounds much more like just a diet
> plan which is not what I am looking for.
>

Eat more protein, eat a sufficient amount of (complex) carbs, limit fats and simple sugars.

Stick with your exercise routine.

Keep track of how many calories you are eating and how many calories you are burning. If you want to
burn fat, eat less calories than you are burning through exercise.

--

pizza." -- Daria

In article <anCfb.15802$Rd4.14588@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
>
>> In article <dcofb.12691$Rd4.1825@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
>> >
>> > "Ignoramus21054" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:[email protected]...
>> >
>> >>
>> >> Why can't you concentrate on both calories as well as exercise?
>> >>
>> >> I do not understand why you think that you have to choose what to concentrate on. You can and
>> >> should do both.
>> >
>> > I just do not want to burn muscle away. I could problably go on 1/10th
> the
>> > amount of calories I get and drop a ton of weight, but this is not what
> I
>> > want to do because I would be losing muscle mass I have worked so diligiently on for years.
>>
>> Go on 70% the amount of calories that you would need to maintain weight and continue strength
>> training. What's the problem, why do you want to even consider going on 1/10 the calories?
>
> What I was saying is that I have the discipline to be able to do that. I

I hope not! And if you do have discipline to do stupid things, why would you want to?

> was using that as an extreme example, not something I would actually
> do. The thing is, every bodybuilding magazine I read always discusses the importance of getting
> the proper amount of food consumption to allow muscles to rebuild properly.

of course, how well do you think they could sell a bodybuilding magazine with a boring message, "eat
less, exercise more"?

Check out some books on Navy Seal training (search for Navy Seal on amazon). See what they advocate
eating and how they explain that even during most rigorous training, you cannot add more than 27
grams of protein to your muscles per day.

> What worries me about cutting calories is that my muscles will not have the proper amount.

That depends on how much you cut and how much you exercise. If you cut a little calories and
exercise a lot, your muscles should be fine!

> Cutting 70% sounds good and all but it sounds much more like just a diet plan which is not what I
> am looking for.

You are looking for something more exciting and more fun and easier, right?

i

In article <[email protected]>, Scott Safier wrote:
> Ignoramus21054:
>> In article <ADlfb.12376$Rd4.3824@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
>>> Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer? Also,
>>> can you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it but
>>> eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly
>>> consisted of me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal
>>> with the diary?
>>
>> I am not frankly sure what is the purpose of a pedometer.
>
> This is the easier question :) The purpose of such devices is to provide information and
> feedback. Why a pedometer? Because, if your goal is weight loss, you should move more -- walk,
> run, jog, (bike). With a device like a pedometer, you get a number from which you can baseline. If
> you took 10,000 steps yesterday, and take 11,000 today, you've done better.

but I can accomplish the same thing with a watch? Walk 1.5 hours today, 100 minutes tomorrow, etc.
Walking speed is fairly constant for most people...

> So, the simple answer is that most people simply want information and feedback. How good is that
> feedback is the real problem.

Exactly. You get some number which is not very relevant, and the relevant parts of it can be
provided with other devices such as a watch and knowing how far you went.

> I bet you knew most of this, didn't you :)

I am always open to new ideas... I was considering buying a pedometer, and decided against it based
on the reasoning that I explained above.

i

In article <[email protected]>, Scott Safier wrote:
> Marcello:
>>
>> "Scott Safier" <[email protected]o_Org.SPAM> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> I got down to 6% this past summer by doing lots of aerobics (I bike (like 3 hours a day)) and
>>> eating a high protein diet. very little muscle loss. Oh, and I'm 40 y/o.
>>>
>>> As has been pointed out, it's both diet and exercise. It's also commitment and discipline.
>>> Things like pedometers, food diaries, (and wearable computers) provide information to help
>>> achieve your goals, but in the end, it's really up to you.
>>>
>>
>>
>> Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer?
>
> I tend to agree with the other poster that the value of pedometers is limited. A simple step count
> is one source of information, but doesn't really tell you how many calories you are burning.

www.caloriesperhour.com

>>Also, can you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it
>>but eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly
>>consisted of me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal with
>>the diary?
>
> The goal is this idea of energy balance or caloric balance. If you want to lose weight, you
> need to burn more calories than you are consuming (and, I would argue, pay attention to the
> type of calories you are consuming). People burn calories through exercise and movement (e.g.
> walking more).

Correct! Plus they lose calories through increased metabolism when they develop bigger or more
active muscles due to specific training.

> A food diary is half the energy balance equation. Basically, it is a record of how many calories
> you are consuming -- what you are eating, size of portion, etc. To be blunt, they are a pain in
> the ass. There are systems to make them easier, like Weight Watchers or a variety of websites.
> There are studies (which I have at work) that show that people are very bad at keeping food
> diaries -- people underestimate what they are eating. However, if you are serious about weight
> loss, you need some method of understanding how many calories you are putting into your body, even
> if you make mistakes.

too boring for our OP...

> The other side of the equation is how many calories you are burning.
>
> As I've said, I work for a company that has developed a wearable computer. I've had access to it.
> We've done clinical studies and come up with algorithms to estimate caloric burn based upon the
> data the computer's multiple sensors collect (and, please remember, I am under a non-disclosure
> agreement on the specifics of such algorithms). Our technology has been tested in clinical
> studies. So, when it tells me that I'm burning over 3000 calories a day (and I bike for 60 to 90
> minutes per day), I tend to believe it is pretty much on target.

> When I bike for 3 hours a day and the device tells me I'm burning over 5000 calories, I
> believe that.

and I do not...

Please!!!!

Assuming you normally bike for 90 minutes and spend 3000 cal, and when you nike for 180 minutes you
spend 5,000 calories.

Even most strenuous exercise (running at 11 mph) tends not to burn that much per hour.
(5000-3000)/1.5 = 1,333 calories per hour.

And biking is generally easier. You would have to do some fairly extreme stuff to spend that
many calories.

> adjust how much I'm eating to either maintain or lose weight.
>
> As I pointed out in my other post, this is all about feedback. The food diary and the
> pedometer/wearable computer/etc simply provide information about how well you are doing. Your
> bathroom scale also provides that feedback, as does a mirror.

I lost 47 lbs using bathroom scale as my only feedback device. I ate a known amount of food every
day and walked a known amount of time (100
min). Plus was doing various exercises, strengt training etc. Recently started rope climbing. I
empirically found a level where I was losing weight and yet I was not starving. I did not know
my calorie counts and so on, but I did not want to base my decisions on fairly fuzzy numbers.
Counting calories in food is notoriously imprecise.

> However, the scale provides a more coarse granularity (say, over a week or a month timeframe) than
> does a pedometer (or wearable computer), which can provide daily (or even hourly or at any minute)
> information.

information is what you can use to make decisions. The rest is "data".

> As a computer geek, I tend to believe there is value in information, and sometimes more is better.
> For weight management, information comes in two flavors -- how much you are putting in and how
> much you are expending. Food diaries and pedometers/wearable computers/caloric burn numbers on
> treadmills/etc are the two sides of this scale.

I think that pedometers provide extra motivation for some exercisers and that is already great.

i

Ignoramus912:
> In article <[email protected]>, Scott Safier wrote:
>> Ignoramus21054:
>>> In article <ADlfb.12376$Rd4.3824@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
>>>> Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer? Also,
>>>> can you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it but
>>>> eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly
>>>> consisted of me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal
>>>> with the diary?
>>>
>>> I am not frankly sure what is the purpose of a pedometer.
>>
>> This is the easier question :) The purpose of such devices is to provide information and
>> feedback. Why a pedometer? Because, if your goal is weight loss, you should move more -- walk,
>> run, jog, (bike). With a device like a pedometer, you get a number from which you can baseline.
>> If you took 10,000 steps yesterday, and take 11,000 today, you've done better.
>
> but I can accomplish the same thing with a watch? Walk 1.5 hours today, 100 minutes tomorrow, etc.
> Walking speed is fairly constant for most people...

Yes, and if people walk around a track or a mall, then distance is known.

>> So, the simple answer is that most people simply want information and feedback. How good is that
>> feedback is the real problem.
>
> Exactly. You get some number which is not very relevant, and the relevant parts of it can be
> provided with other devices such as a watch and knowing how far you went.
>
>> I bet you knew most of this, didn't you :)
>
> I am always open to new ideas... I was considering buying a pedometer, and decided against it
> based on the reasoning that I explained above.

That may be what's right for you. Other people's mileage may vary. Some people may like the
additional information a pedometer provides as simply another measure of performance.

--

pizza." -- Daria

Ignoramus912:
> In article <[email protected]>, Scott Safier wrote:
>> Marcello:
>>>
>>> "Scott Safier" <[email protected]o_Org.SPAM> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>>> I got down to 6% this past summer by doing lots of aerobics (I bike (like 3 hours a day)) and
>>>> eating a high protein diet. very little muscle loss. Oh, and I'm 40 y/o.
>>>>
>>>> As has been pointed out, it's both diet and exercise. It's also commitment and discipline.
>>>> Things like pedometers, food diaries, (and wearable computers) provide information to help
>>>> achieve your goals, but in the end, it's really up to you.
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer?
>>
>> I tend to agree with the other poster that the value of pedometers is limited. A simple step
>> count is one source of information, but doesn't really tell you how many calories you are
>> burning.
>
> www.caloriesperhour.com

It assumes a constant mets value on a particular grade (probably flat) with no encumberance. Add leg
or arm weights, and the calories go up. Walking up hills or steps is harder (burns more calories)
than walking on flat pavement.

>>>Also, can you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it
>>>but eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly
>>>consisted of me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal
>>>with the diary?
>>
>> The goal is this idea of energy balance or caloric balance. If you want to lose weight, you
>> need to burn more calories than you are consuming (and, I would argue, pay attention to the
>> type of calories you are consuming). People burn calories through exercise and movement (e.g.
>> walking more).
>
> Correct! Plus they lose calories through increased metabolism when they develop bigger or more
> active muscles due to specific training.

I think I've seen a recent study that disputes this increased metabolism thing. I might be
misremembering it though.

>> A food diary is half the energy balance equation. Basically, it is a record of how many calories
>> you are consuming -- what you are eating, size of portion, etc. To be blunt, they are a pain in
>> the ass. There are systems to make them easier, like Weight Watchers or a variety of websites.
>> There are studies (which I have at work) that show that people are very bad at keeping food
>> diaries -- people underestimate what they are eating. However, if you are serious about weight
>> loss, you need some method of understanding how many calories you are putting into your body,
>> even if you make mistakes.
>
> too boring for our OP...
>
>> The other side of the equation is how many calories you are burning.
>>
>> As I've said, I work for a company that has developed a wearable computer. I've had access to it.
>> We've done clinical studies and come up with algorithms to estimate caloric burn based upon the
>> data the computer's multiple sensors collect (and, please remember, I am under a non-disclosure
>> agreement on the specifics of such algorithms). Our technology has been tested in clinical
>> studies. So, when it tells me that I'm burning over 3000 calories a day (and I bike for 60 to 90
>> minutes per day), I tend to believe it is pretty much on target.
>
>
>> When I bike for 3 hours a day and the device tells me I'm burning over 5000 calories, I
>> believe that.
>
> and I do not...

Your math is wrong.

> Please!!!!

Your math is wrong, as are some of your assumptions.

> Assuming you normally bike for 90 minutes and spend 3000 cal, and when you nike for 180 minutes
> you spend 5,000 calories.

Your assumptions are wrong.

> Even most strenuous exercise (running at 11 mph) tends not to burn that much per hour.
> (5000-3000)/1.5 = 1,333 calories per hour.
>
> And biking is generally easier.

Well, no it is not. Biking at 11 mph is easier than running at 11mph, but I bike a lot faster
than that.

> You would have to do some fairly extreme stuff to spend that many calories.

The number is between 750-1000 calories per hour for my biking. Since I'm not being very precise
here, and you would like me to be, try these numbers.

baseline: 2200 calories per day (1440 * 1.6 mets (resting mets for moderate to heavy exerciser (I
think biking for about 3 hours qualifies) (1.8 is used for competitive athletes)))

bike 3.25 hours @ 750 calories/hour = 2450 (that's 12.5 mets, which is on the low-end (biking about
16 mph) -- at 14 mets the number is about 2730 calories)

weight lifting for .5 hours = 100 calories

total 24 hour calorie burn -- 4750

And since my average biking speed is about 20 miles per hour, and since I chose a low mets value for
my biking, that's about right.

Now, before you go "OH PLEASE" and tell us what you don't believe, maybe you should get more "data",
check your figures and validate your assumptions. Also, don't play silly games (like when I say
(beween 60 and 90 minutes, picking the 90 for your miscalculations when 60 gives a different
number)). Of course, you could apologize, but I don't expect you to.

>> adjust how much I'm eating to either maintain or lose weight.
>>
>> As I pointed out in my other post, this is all about feedback. The food diary and the
>> pedometer/wearable computer/etc simply provide information about how well you are doing. Your
>> bathroom scale also provides that feedback, as does a mirror.
>
> I lost 47 lbs using bathroom scale as my only feedback device. I ate a known amount of food every
> day and walked a known amount of time (100
> min). Plus was doing various exercises, strengt training etc. Recently started rope climbing. I
> empirically found a level where I was losing weight and yet I was not starving. I did not know
> my calorie counts and so on, but I did not want to base my decisions on fairly fuzzy numbers.
> Counting calories in food is notoriously imprecise.

People are notoriously good at dealing with fuzzy information. They satisfice, approximate, estimate
and compensate. It's what you did with your empirical tests to determine how much to eat and how
much to exercise. Other people need more help. If someone goes to a nutritionist or doctor to lose
weight, most likely they will be told to keep a food diary.

>> However, the scale provides a more coarse granularity (say, over a week or a month timeframe)
>> than does a pedometer (or wearable computer), which can provide daily (or even hourly or at any
>> minute) information.
>
> information is what you can use to make decisions. The rest is "data".

"data" is information. It is how you reason about the information that makes the difference. Some
people need more information than others.

>> As a computer geek, I tend to believe there is value in information, and sometimes more is
>> better. For weight management, information comes in two flavors -- how much you are putting in
>> and how much you are expending. Food diaries and pedometers/wearable computers/caloric burn
>> numbers on treadmills/etc are the two sides of this scale.
>
> I think that pedometers provide extra motivation for some exercisers and that is already great.

Some people find this information useful.

--

pizza." -- Daria

"Ignoramus912" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> In article <anCfb.15802$Rd4.14588@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
> >
> > "Ignoramus21054" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> In article <dcofb.12691$Rd4.1825@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
> >> >
> >> > "Ignoramus21054" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >> >
> >> >>
> >> >> Why can't you concentrate on both calories as well as exercise?
> >> >>
> >> >> I do not understand why you think that you have to choose what to concentrate on. You can
> >> >> and should do both.
> >> >
> >> > I just do not want to burn muscle away. I could problably go on
1/10th
> > the
> >> > amount of calories I get and drop a ton of weight, but this is not
what
> > I
> >> > want to do because I would be losing muscle mass I have worked so diligiently on for years.
> >>
> >> Go on 70% the amount of calories that you would need to maintain weight and continue strength
> >> training. What's the problem, why do you want to even consider going on 1/10 the calories?
> >
> > What I was saying is that I have the discipline to be able to do that.
I
>
> I hope not! And if you do have discipline to do stupid things, why would you want to?

Sorry, you clearly missed my point which was that self discipline in not my issue.

>
> > was using that as an extreme example, not something I would actually
> > do. The thing is, every bodybuilding magazine I read always discusses the importance of getting
> > the proper amount of food consumption to allow muscles to rebuild properly.
>
> of course, how well do you think they could sell a bodybuilding magazine with a boring message,
> "eat less, exercise more"?
>
> Check out some books on Navy Seal training (search for Navy Seal on amazon). See what they
> advocate eating and how they explain that even during most rigorous training, you cannot add more
> than 27 grams of protein to your muscles per day.
>
> > What worries me about cutting calories is that my muscles will not have the proper amount.
>
> That depends on how much you cut and how much you exercise. If you cut a little calories and
> exercise a lot, your muscles should be fine!
>
> > Cutting 70% sounds good and all but it sounds much more like just a diet plan which is not what
> > I am looking for.
>
> You are looking for something more exciting and more fun and easier, right?
>

I am looking to lower bodyfat as mentioned already.

D. Smith wrote:
> I have started to walk each day in hopes of losing some weight. How many calories will I burn if I
> walk 30 minutes each day (7 days a week)?
Hi, you burn in 60 min 280 calories (7 * 140) Sabine Fleschutz
--
http://:www.3434.goodlife-2000.com Fatburner

"Sabine Fleschutz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> D. Smith wrote:
> > I have started to walk each day in hopes of losing some weight. How many calories will I burn if
> > I walk 30 minutes each day (7 days a week)?
> Hi, you burn in 60 min 280 calories (7 * 140) Sabine Fleschutz
> --
> http://:www.3434.goodlife-2000.com Fatburner
>
>

actually, it depends on your weight, and how fast your walking.

rosie read and post wrote:

> "Sabine Fleschutz" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > D. Smith wrote:
> > > I have started to walk each day in hopes of losing some weight. How many calories will I burn
> > > if I walk 30 minutes each day (7 days a week)?
> > Hi, you burn in 60 min 280 calories (7 * 140) Sabine Fleschutz
> > --
> > http://:www.3434.goodlife-2000.com Fatburner
> >
> >
>
> actually, it depends on your weight, and how fast your walking.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/Calories.html
http://www.shelterpub.com/_fitness/_office_fitness_clinic/OFC_calories.html

http://www.nutribase.com/exercala.htm

is an interesting chart. And yes the heavier a person the more it takes to move the body down the
road. These are approximate figures, your performance may vary.

Note that walking a mile and running a mile takes about the same amount of effort/calorie burn.

If you plan your walking (and watch your intake) you can knock off a 150cal a day easy (about the
amount in a can of softdrink). A pound of fat is around 3000Kcal. Do the math... In a year or so you
will be a vision of your former self. You can help the fat reduction by lowering fats (no or only
fat free milk - read labels, waaay reduced or no sugar and alcohol, a few more grams of protein
instead of carbs helps reduce hunger pangs, eating 6-8 small meals a day instead of one GREAT big
one). You can loose a pound a week with a little sharp pencil work and some care.

Walk to increase the heart rate. This may mean walking faster, swinging arms, walking up hills or
stairs, or even some slow easy jogging and walking mix.

Look here for the jog/walk regime...

http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html

Scott Safier wrote:

> Ignoramus21054:
> > In article <ADlfb.12376$Rd4.3824@fed1read07>, Marcello wrote:
> >> Wow, congrats on those great numbers! Where would you reccomend getting a good pedometer? Also,
> >> can you elaborate on your food diary. I have done this before and has some success with it but
> >> eventually lost interest when my improvments from dieting plateued. But my diary mainly
> >> consisted of me writing eveyr thing I ate down thus restricting my calories. What is the goal
> >> with the diary?
> >
> > I am not frankly sure what is the purpose of a pedometer.
>
> This is the easier question :) The purpose of such devices is to provide information and
> feedback. Why a pedometer? Because, if your goal is weight loss, you should move more -- walk,
> run, jog, (bike). With a device like a pedometer, you get a number from which you can baseline. If
> you took 10,000 steps yesterday, and take 11,000 today, you've done better. If you walk 11,000
> steps and you assume that your rate is 3 METS, you can figure out an estimate of how many calories
> you're burning. The problem is that it isn't 3 mets. It might be 2 mets. It might be 8. If your
> jogging/running it might be 13. It could be anywhere in between.
>
> If you want to know how many calories you are actually burning, well, you probably need to get in
> a doubly-labeled water study. Or you can be hooked up to an indirect calometry machine (VO2), but
> that is really inconvenient for free-living.
>
> Unabashed plug: or, you can get one of these new wearable computer gizmos where they do correlate
> to indirect calomitry and get an estimate of your caloric burn.
>
> So, the simple answer is that most people simply want information and feedback. How good is that
> feedback is the real problem.
>
> I bet you knew most of this, didn't you :)
>
> --
> Scott http://www.pink-triangle.org/scott AOL IM: CorwinScot YahooIM: CycleMuscle
>
> "Stand firm for what you believe in until or unless logic or experience prove you wrong.
> Remember, when the emperor looks naked the emperor is naked. The truth and a lie are not sort of
> the same thing. And there's no aspect, no facet, no moment of life that can't be improved with
> pizza." -- Daria

I suggest that people should consider increased heart rate over time. Distance is really only one
measure. The (generally) higher hear rate over time is what the body is reacting to...not indirectly
to how fast you walk or the distance.

However, most people are better motivated with a visual goal of miles or minutes. Moving on steps
or stairs at a rate that will make inhale on one step and exhale on the other just near
uncomfortable and can be sustained for over 10 minutes is around 80-90% of maximum (approximate).
This can be used as a general guide for the amount of effort a person is putting out while walking
(fast or inclined grade).

If you are interested in the miles per hour (sorry metrics people, a conversion needed here), you
can count the number of 'roman' paces (left to left foot) over a 36 second period of time. Divide by
10 and that is about the mph you are walking. Is most accurate on flat terrain.