Calories burned with jogging stroller - any way to find out

Linda and Pete

Guest
Here I am again - Ms. Curious. Anyway know a way to find out how many
calories are burned say running a 10 min mile with a double jogging
stroller - say pushing 60 lbs? Just curious - recently been trying to get
more running in and the only way to do it is to bring my twin toddlers - not
easy but at least it's something. Actually, it's probably more like an 11
min mile. Thanks, Linda

"Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Here I am again - Ms. Curious.

No. You're Ms Blindingly-Dull, of Triviasville, New Boredom.

> Anyway know a way to find out how many
> calories are burned say running a 10 min mile with a double jogging
> stroller - say pushing 60 lbs?

Possibly, but who really cares? Go read something about Yankee foreign
policy. Then maybe you buffoons can elect someone of stature and
responsibility to guide your great land.

> Just curious - recently been trying to get
> more running in and the only way to do it is to bring my twin toddlers -

not
> easy but at least it's something. Actually, it's probably more like an 11
> min mile. Thanks, Linda

You have a partner, remember? Pete is his name. Try saying these words
whilst Pete is in the same room and awake;

"Dear, I'm just poping out for a run. Would you watch the twins while I'm
out? Thanks."

I know I'm wasting my time - but, it's none of your business to reply to me
if you are just going to be a total ass.

And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not true.
I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

You are probably such a troll you can't get a partner let alone have
children. Go back into your cave. And, if I am so boring, why are you
reading my messages?

"np426z" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Here I am again - Ms. Curious.

> No. You're Ms Blindingly-Dull, of Triviasville, New Boredom.
>
> > Anyway know a way to find out how many
> > calories are burned say running a 10 min mile with a double jogging
> > stroller - say pushing 60 lbs?

> Possibly, but who really cares? Go read something about Yankee foreign
> policy. Then maybe you buffoons can elect someone of stature and
> responsibility to guide your great land.
>
> > Just curious - recently been trying to get
> > more running in and the only way to do it is to bring my twin toddlers -

> not
> > easy but at least it's something. Actually, it's probably more like an

11
> > min mile. Thanks, Linda

> You have a partner, remember? Pete is his name. Try saying these words
> whilst Pete is in the same room and awake;
>
> "Dear, I'm just poping out for a run. Would you watch the twins while

I'm
> out? Thanks."

"Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I know I'm wasting my time

Yes...

> but, it's none of your business to reply to me

You post on a running forum, you get a runners response.

> if you are just going to be a total ass.

I can't help it. They won't let me stay in the troll club if I'm
reasonable.

> And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not

true.
> I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
> jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

Pardon? How is watching three kids harder than watching two?

> You are probably such a troll you can't get a partner

I don't want to 'get' a partner, I want to sweep a woman off her feet...

> let alone have children.

You *know* about my problem? Damn. The clinic promised me
confidentiality.

Will you come with me? I need a partner.

> And, if I am so boring, why are you reading my messages?

You're far from boring. You make me smile. Thank you :)

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:56:29 +0000 (UTC), "np426z"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> I know I'm wasting my time

>Yes...
>
>> but, it's none of your business to reply to me

>You post on a running forum, you get a runners response.
>
>> if you are just going to be a total ass.

>I can't help it. They won't let me stay in the troll club if I'm
>reasonable.
>
>> And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not

>true.
>> I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
>> jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

>Pardon? How is watching three kids harder than watching two?

I believe the correct question wouild have been, "How can watching
three children be harder than watching one," as it was her intention
to take two jogging with her.

And the answer: Three children can run off in three different
directions. Two children in two. I've been assured by someone who
knows from experience, however, that 7 children do not run off in 7
different directions -- they tend to clump up in 2's and 3's when they
make their breaks for freedom.

I have three boys -- 10, 9 and 6, and knew I was in trouble when the
oldest said to the middle one, 'No. You run that way, I'll run this
way.' The youngest was small enough I was still carrying him around.

I have a couple of calculators that suggest how many calories I burn
doing various activities. The only thing that came up with 'stroller'
involved the walking (slowly) kind.

If you need something to satisfy the anal-retentive need to to write
something in a log (and I say this as a person who records everything
he eats and does in a PDA -- i.e., as a non-troll) add 10 pounds to
your body weight and base your calculations on that. (Or, as you push
the stroller, when you hear yourself think, "I'll bet this is what
running would feel like if I weighed X pounds," use that.) You
probably won't be too far off.

D. Wells

[email protected]
Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
(without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

Running one 10-min. mile while pushing a 60-lb. stroller will burn off
exactly 127.64 calories (assuming body weight of 125 lbs., ambient air
temperature of 70 degrees F, 0% grade, relative humidity of 46.3
percent and winds of 4.8 mph or less, unless they are from the
northwest, in which case calories burned will be 128.12). For every
pound of body weight over 125, add 13.647 calories. For every pound
under 125, subtract 18.982 calories. Add 1.33 calories for each
1-degree temperature increase over 70. Subtract 1.67 calories for each
temperature decrease of 1 degree. For each percentage point of
relative humidity over the 46.3 percent base, add 0.79 calories. For
each percentage point under 46.3 percent, subtract 0.58 calories. With
an 11-min. mile, use the above formula starting with a base of 124.21
calories.

Not knowing your route, I cannot predict calorie reduction owing to
changes in surface incline. However, assuming for the sake of
argument that half your route is at a 2% uphill grade and half is at a
2% downhill grade, calorie reduction owing to these factors will be
negligible, i.e., in the 1.5-to-1.75 calorie range. If you will
calculate the exact grade and length of any hills on your route (both
up and down), I'll run the numbers and tell you exactly how they
affect calorie-reduction.

Hope this helps.

I have not accounted for hair-related wind resistance, as I don't know
the length or thickness of your hair. Calorie reduction will also
vary somewhat based on the size and weight of your shoes as well as
the relative lightness (of weight AND color) of the clothes you wear
while running.

"Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Here I am again - Ms. Curious. Anyway know a way to find out how many
> calories are burned say running a 10 min mile with a double jogging
> stroller - say pushing 60 lbs? Just curious - recently been trying to get
> more running in and the only way to do it is to bring my twin toddlers - not
> easy but at least it's something. Actually, it's probably more like an 11
> min mile. Thanks, Linda

>I know I'm wasting my time - but, it's none of your business to reply to me
>if you are just going to be a total ass.

Oh but he's soooooooooo very good at it...

>And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not true.
>I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
>jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

He knows that (about him being an idiot).

>You are probably such a troll you can't get a partner let alone have
>children.

Eunichs do have a brderline sex life.

You traced him back to Scotland eh?

>And, if I am so boring, why are you
>reading my messages?

Because he's an angry little mousie since his best friend jumped off of a tall
building and went <SPLAT> because of somethging Roger did. It really is too sad
to relate to this NG.

>You make me smile. Thank you :)

Yes, if he pisses someone off, it's just made his day.

>If you need something to satisfy the anal-retentive

Well he does need something for his anus, but I think it's electric, and goes
buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz buzzzzzzzzzzz.

"John B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Running one 10-min. mile while pushing a 60-lb. stroller will burn off
> exactly 127.64 calories (assuming body weight of 125 lbs., ambient air
> temperature of 70 degrees F, 0% grade, relative humidity of 46.3
> percent and winds of 4.8 mph or less, unless they are from the
> northwest, in which case calories burned will be 128.12). For every
> pound of body weight over 125, add 13.647 calories. For every pound
> under 125, subtract 18.982 calories. Add 1.33 calories for each
> 1-degree temperature increase over 70. Subtract 1.67 calories for each
> temperature decrease of 1 degree. For each percentage point of
> relative humidity over the 46.3 percent base, add 0.79 calories. For
> each percentage point under 46.3 percent, subtract 0.58 calories. With
> an 11-min. mile, use the above formula starting with a base of 124.21
> calories.
>
> Not knowing your route, I cannot predict calorie reduction owing to
> changes in surface incline. However, assuming for the sake of
> argument that half your route is at a 2% uphill grade and half is at a
> 2% downhill grade, calorie reduction owing to these factors will be
> negligible, i.e., in the 1.5-to-1.75 calorie range. If you will
> calculate the exact grade and length of any hills on your route (both
> up and down), I'll run the numbers and tell you exactly how they
> affect calorie-reduction.
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> I have not accounted for hair-related wind resistance, as I don't know
> the length or thickness of your hair. Calorie reduction will also
> vary somewhat based on the size and weight of your shoes as well as
> the relative lightness (of weight AND color) of the clothes you wear
> while running.

These are growing children, we need a factor to adjust for the increasing
weight of the stroller. Also will calorie expenditure be the same on gravel
trails as on concrete? What about elevation?

I"m anal-retentive as well and do have to record everything in my PDA - I
thought the same thing (about adding weight), but do you really think it's
only like adding 10 lbs? I swear, feel like a lot more - but, what you say
makes perfect sense. Thanks, Linda

As for the kids, they are 3 under 3 - so far, not reaching the "you run
there, I run here part - thank God". Well, only 2 are walking.

"DHW" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2004 20:56:29 +0000 (UTC), "np426z"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >"Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >
> >> I know I'm wasting my time

> >Yes...
> >
> >> but, it's none of your business to reply to me

> >You post on a running forum, you get a runners response.
> >
> >> if you are just going to be a total ass.

> >I can't help it. They won't let me stay in the troll club if I'm
> >reasonable.
> >
> >> And, if you are assuming my husband won't watch the kids - that's not

> >true.
> >> I also have a 3rd child - makes it fairly hard to run with 3 kids in a
> >> jogging stroller so you are an idiot.

> >Pardon? How is watching three kids harder than watching two?
> >

> I believe the correct question wouild have been, "How can watching
> three children be harder than watching one," as it was her intention
> to take two jogging with her.
>
> And the answer: Three children can run off in three different
> directions. Two children in two. I've been assured by someone who
> knows from experience, however, that 7 children do not run off in 7
> different directions -- they tend to clump up in 2's and 3's when they
> make their breaks for freedom.
>
> I have three boys -- 10, 9 and 6, and knew I was in trouble when the
> oldest said to the middle one, 'No. You run that way, I'll run this
> way.' The youngest was small enough I was still carrying him around.
>
> I have a couple of calculators that suggest how many calories I burn
> doing various activities. The only thing that came up with 'stroller'
> involved the walking (slowly) kind.
>
> If you need something to satisfy the anal-retentive need to to write
> something in a log (and I say this as a person who records everything
> he eats and does in a PDA -- i.e., as a non-troll) add 10 pounds to
> your body weight and base your calculations on that. (Or, as you push
> the stroller, when you hear yourself think, "I'll bet this is what
> running would feel like if I weighed X pounds," use that.) You
> probably won't be too far off.
>

> D. Wells
>
> [email protected]
> Remove the numbers to mail me. Include the text "gore-in-2004"
> (without quotation marks) to ensure you make it past the spam filter.

Very funny, all of you - I must admit, you are all quite witty but where the
heck do you find time for all this posting - especially the length of them -
I mean, if you had a life, I guess you would not be posting so much.

news:[email protected]...

On 2004-08-03, Linda and Pete <[email protected]> wrote:
> I"m anal-retentive as well and do have to record everything in my PDA - I
> thought the same thing (about adding weight), but do you really think it's
> only like adding 10 lbs? I swear, feel like a lot more - but, what you say
> makes perfect sense. Thanks, Linda

Use a heart rate monitor, and find out your average rate. See how fast you can
run the same course at the same heart rate without the stroller. Rescale the
calorie burn by the ratio of the two times.

Cheers,
--
Donovan Rebbechi
http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

"Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Very funny, all of you - I must admit, you are all quite witty but where

the
> heck do you find time for all this posting - especially the length of

them -
> I mean, if you had a life, I guess you would not be posting so much.

Linda, I'm sure that most of us - even Wobbot - have a life of sorts. It
may, however, differ immensely from your own. It's this diversity, in
part, that makes the world a jolly interesting place in which to spend some
time between birth and death.

You must try to display tolerance towards those who tread a different path
to your own, and learn to distinguish between those who tease and those who
act with malicious intent.

As for finding the time to post - our PCs sit in the corner being hammered
by the kids playing "Civilisation" or some flight-sim. I kick them off
between other things I'm doing and post silly messages here. Hardly a
lifestyle.

Coolrunning.com may suit you but it's not my style. Too pedestrian. To
be sure, rec.running is rough-and-ready, but it's always had a high quotient
of fairly useful posters. Still, you pays your money...

>You must try to display tolerance towards those who tread a different path
>to your own

Geez, this from Roger????

In article <[email protected]>, Linda and Pete
<[email protected]> writes
>Very funny, all of you - I must admit, you are all quite witty but where the
>heck do you find time for all this posting - especially the length of them -
>I mean, if you had a life, I guess you would not be posting so much.

Linda, don't feed the trolls. If they bug you, killfile them. If you
need help doing that, email me and I'll try to help you out. When you've
kf-ed all the trolls in here it becomes a very low bandwidth group, but
a bit boring to be honest. I'm trying a strategy of keeping a few of
them as pets, but exterminating the really obnoxious ones. Maybe you'd
like to join me in putting in our own two penn'orth now and then to
increase the signal-to-noise ratio in the group.

I don't know the answer to your jogging stroller question, which is why
I didn't reply before. Is "calories burned" an important factor in your
training schedule? Could you switch to using other measures such as
perceived effort, HRMs, time, or distance?
--
Mel Rimmer

I was only trying to help. That's gratitude for you.

"Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Very funny, all of you - I must admit, you are all quite witty but where the
> heck do you find time for all this posting - especially the length of them -
> I mean, if you had a life, I guess you would not be posting so much.
>
> ""El Paisano"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "John B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Running one 10-min. mile while pushing a 60-lb. stroller will burn off
> > > exactly 127.64 calories (assuming body weight of 125 lbs., ambient air
> > > temperature of 70 degrees F, 0% grade, relative humidity of 46.3
> > > percent and winds of 4.8 mph or less, unless they are from the
> > > northwest, in which case calories burned will be 128.12). For every
> > > pound of body weight over 125, add 13.647 calories. For every pound
> > > under 125, subtract 18.982 calories. Add 1.33 calories for each
> > > 1-degree temperature increase over 70. Subtract 1.67 calories for each
> > > temperature decrease of 1 degree. For each percentage point of
> > > relative humidity over the 46.3 percent base, add 0.79 calories. For
> > > each percentage point under 46.3 percent, subtract 0.58 calories. With
> > > an 11-min. mile, use the above formula starting with a base of 124.21
> > > calories.
> > >
> > > Not knowing your route, I cannot predict calorie reduction owing to
> > > changes in surface incline. However, assuming for the sake of
> > > argument that half your route is at a 2% uphill grade and half is at a
> > > 2% downhill grade, calorie reduction owing to these factors will be
> > > negligible, i.e., in the 1.5-to-1.75 calorie range. If you will
> > > calculate the exact grade and length of any hills on your route (both
> > > up and down), I'll run the numbers and tell you exactly how they
> > > affect calorie-reduction.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.
> > >

> > > I have not accounted for hair-related wind resistance, as I don't know
> > > the length or thickness of your hair. Calorie reduction will also
> > > vary somewhat based on the size and weight of your shoes as well as
> > > the relative lightness (of weight AND color) of the clothes you wear
> > > while running.
> > >

> > These are growing children, we need a factor to adjust for the increasing
> > weight of the stroller. Also will calorie expenditure be the same on

> gravel
> > trails as on concrete? What about elevation?

I don't find these asinine posts funny at all. They're a nuisance and a
waste of time. It's this elitist attitude that turns off so many novice
runners attempting to use this newsgroup.
--

"Linda and Pete" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Very funny, all of you - I must admit, you are all quite witty but where

the
> heck do you find time for all this posting - especially the length of

them -
> I mean, if you had a life, I guess you would not be posting so much.
>
> ""El Paisano"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "John B." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Running one 10-min. mile while pushing a 60-lb. stroller will burn off
> > > exactly 127.64 calories (assuming body weight of 125 lbs., ambient air
> > > temperature of 70 degrees F, 0% grade, relative humidity of 46.3
> > > percent and winds of 4.8 mph or less, unless they are from the
> > > northwest, in which case calories burned will be 128.12). For every
> > > pound of body weight over 125, add 13.647 calories. For every pound
> > > under 125, subtract 18.982 calories. Add 1.33 calories for each
> > > 1-degree temperature increase over 70. Subtract 1.67 calories for each
> > > temperature decrease of 1 degree. For each percentage point of
> > > relative humidity over the 46.3 percent base, add 0.79 calories. For
> > > each percentage point under 46.3 percent, subtract 0.58 calories. With
> > > an 11-min. mile, use the above formula starting with a base of 124.21
> > > calories.
> > >
> > > Not knowing your route, I cannot predict calorie reduction owing to
> > > changes in surface incline. However, assuming for the sake of
> > > argument that half your route is at a 2% uphill grade and half is at a
> > > 2% downhill grade, calorie reduction owing to these factors will be
> > > negligible, i.e., in the 1.5-to-1.75 calorie range. If you will
> > > calculate the exact grade and length of any hills on your route (both
> > > up and down), I'll run the numbers and tell you exactly how they
> > > affect calorie-reduction.
> > >
> > > Hope this helps.
> > >

> > > I have not accounted for hair-related wind resistance, as I don't know
> > > the length or thickness of your hair. Calorie reduction will also
> > > vary somewhat based on the size and weight of your shoes as well as
> > > the relative lightness (of weight AND color) of the clothes you wear
> > > while running.
> > >

> > These are growing children, we need a factor to adjust for the

increasing
> > weight of the stroller. Also will calorie expenditure be the same on

> gravel
> > trails as on concrete? What about elevation?

"nooby" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:%[email protected]...
> I don't find these asinine posts funny at all. They're a nuisance and a
> waste of time. It's this elitist attitude that turns off so many novice
> runners attempting to use this newsgroup.
> --

If you ask an asinine question you shouldn't complain when you get an
asinine response.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004 06:25:28 -0400, "Linda and Pete"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I"m anal-retentive as well and do have to record everything in my PDA - I
>thought the same thing (about adding weight), but do you really think it's
>only like adding 10 lbs? I swear, feel like a lot more - but, what you say
>makes perfect sense. Thanks, Linda
>
>As for the kids, they are 3 under 3 - so far, not reaching the "you run
>there, I run here part - thank God". Well, only 2 are walking.

Three under 3? And you are getting enough sleep to consider running?
When ours were young it seemed we were forever sleep-deprived.

Donovan seems to make a good point about using a heart monitor and
adjusting the figures as he describes.

I don't know how much weight to add for pushing a stroller. I thought
10 pounds might be a little light. However, according to a calculator
I have on my PDA, if you weigh 150 pounds and you run at a medium pace
(which is not defined by the calculator) you burn 153 calories in 10
minutes.

At 130 pounds you burn 132 calories, at 140 you burn 143 calories for
10 minutes.

So, over the course of 10 minutes, if you weigh 130 and add 10 for the
stroller you'll burn 143 in 10 minutes.

If you add 20 you'll burn 153 in 10 minutes. So, even if you guess
wrong, you won't be that far off.

I called one of our engineers. He apologized for not having his
dynamics book at work with him and then started to explain the process
for the calculation -- midway through the geek talk he said that
without the formula he would just be guessing. I cut him off and said,
"Shooting from the hip, how much weight would add to your body weight
if you were trying to calculate how many calories "... etc.

Shooting from the hip, he said he'd add 20lbs.

If this helps, the same calculator shows that, at the given body
weight, in 10 minutes you burn.

10lbs 20lbs 30lbs
Walking 3.5 7.1 10.6
Slow Run 8.2 16.4 24.6