Cambridge cyclist's video featured on BBC East News today

Bronzie

Guest
That YouTube video of the bus cutting a cyclist up in Cambridge
(posted as "Bus Drivers" thread by Tony Raven on 21st Feb) was
featured on the BBC East Breakfast News this morning (lead item no
less!) including an interview with the said cyclist, Paul Jones, who
asked for motorists to give cyclists consideration.

Good piece and a rare opportunity for the motoring masses to see
things from someone elses point of view for a change.

Bronzie said the following on 05/03/2007 13:59:
> That YouTube video of the bus cutting a cyclist up in Cambridge
> (posted as "Bus Drivers" thread by Tony Raven on 21st Feb) was
> featured on the BBC East Breakfast News this morning (lead item no
> less!) including an interview with the said cyclist, Paul Jones, who
> asked for motorists to give cyclists consideration.

Did they show the last bit of the clip? :)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On Mar 5, 3:33 pm, Paul Boyd <usenet.dont.work@plusnet> wrote:

> Did they show the last bit of the clip? :)

No - just upto the point where the bus reached the kerb, leaving the
cyclist squashed into the gutter with a fine view of the back end of
the bus.

"Bronzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> That YouTube video of the bus cutting a cyclist up in Cambridge
> (posted as "Bus Drivers" thread by Tony Raven on 21st Feb) was
> featured on the BBC East Breakfast News this morning (lead item no
> less!) including an interview with the said cyclist, Paul Jones, who
> asked for motorists to give cyclists consideration.
>
> Good piece and a rare opportunity for the motoring masses to see
> things from someone elses point of view for a change.

Hi,
See for yourself....

http://www.youtube.com/mailpauljonescouk

Cheers

Peter.

Bronzie <[email protected]> wrote:

> That YouTube video of the bus cutting a cyclist up in Cambridge
> (posted as "Bus Drivers" thread by Tony Raven on 21st Feb) was
> featured on the BBC East Breakfast News this morning (lead item no
> less!) including an interview with the said cyclist, Paul Jones, who
> asked for motorists to give cyclists consideration.
>
> Good piece and a rare opportunity for the motoring masses to see
> things from someone elses point of view for a change.

didn't seen the tv, but yesturday coming back, someone overtook a police
man, in a 30 zone, he didn't seem amused....

didn't see much more, as a bus was fast aproaching.

odd bit of road that, the A308? past hampton. which is a 20 zone,
consdering all the small resdental roads off it are 30... and it apears
to have nothing in that streach to warrent it, and is totaly ingnored...

roger

On Mar 6, 2:56 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:

> odd bit of road that, the A308? past hampton. which is a 20
> zone, consdering all the small resdental roads off it are
> 30... and it apears to have nothing in that streach to warrent
> it, and is totaly ingnored...

Indeed, it is. Know it well.

--
Dave...

On Mar 6, 2:56 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:

> odd bit of road that, the A308? past hampton. which is a 20 zone,
> consdering all the small resdental roads off it are 30... and it apears
> to have nothing in that streach to warrent it

Other than people like myself with my three year old trying to use the
zebra corssing outside The Bell to get to Hampton Ferry. And the
people who live in all of the houses right by the road.

> and is totaly ingnored...

You should have seen it before the 20mph. Now at least most of the
twats keep below 50. Of course I am sure that they are all making
their own judgement about what a safe speed to drive at is.

<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Mar 6, 2:56 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
>
> > odd bit of road that, the A308? past hampton. which is a 20 zone,
> > consdering all the small resdental roads off it are 30... and it apears
> > to have nothing in that streach to warrent it

> Other than people like myself with my three year old trying to use the
> zebra corssing outside The Bell to get to Hampton Ferry. And the
> people who live in all of the houses right by the road.

cars should driving in a way that they can see people on zebra crossing
and such.

> > and is totaly ingnored...

> You should have seen it before the 20mph. Now at least most of the
> twats keep below 50. Of course I am sure that they are all making
> their own judgement about what a safe speed to drive at is.

indeed would a speed camera or the odd man with a hair dryer not do the
trick at the moment, its almost unversly ingnored. possibly a rased
zebra crossing as well, though that does increase polution and noise.

and well the idea of speed limits is limits, not just 20 = below 50
please.

i haven't notice folk at 50 i have to be honest but then i drive 20/30
down to hampton court so maybe they are just held up by me....

roger

[email protected] wrote:
> On Mar 6, 2:56 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
>
>> odd bit of road that, the A308? past hampton. which is a 20 zone,
>> consdering all the small resdental roads off it are 30... and it apears
>> to have nothing in that streach to warrent it

> Other than people like myself with my three year old trying to use the
> zebra corssing outside The Bell to get to Hampton Ferry. And the
> people who live in all of the houses right by the road.

Yes, those zebras do startle easily, don't they? ;)

As ever, those who say it's safe to drive fast through somewhere haven't
seen any of the potentially dangerous sites there because, err, they're
driving too fast to notice them.

> On Mar 6, 2:56 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
>

>>odd bit of road that, the A308? past hampton. which is a 20 zone,
>>consdering all the small resdental roads off it are 30... and it apears
>>to have nothing in that streach to warrent it

> Other than people like myself with my three year old trying to use the
> zebra corssing outside The Bell to get to Hampton Ferry. And the
> people who live in all of the houses right by the road.
>

>>and is totaly ingnored...

> You should have seen it before the 20mph. Now at least most of the
> twats keep below 50. Of course I am sure that they are all making
> their own judgement about what a safe speed to drive at is.

Perhaps a few sump-busters will slow the twunts down.

--
Don Whybrow

Sequi Bonum Non Time

After things go from bad to worse, the cycle will repeat itself.

Ambrose Nankivell <firstname+'n'@gmail.com> wrote:

> [email protected] wrote:
> > On Mar 6, 2:56 pm, [email protected] (Roger Merriman) wrote:
> >
> >> odd bit of road that, the A308? past hampton. which is a 20 zone,
> >> consdering all the small resdental roads off it are 30... and it apears
> >> to have nothing in that streach to warrent it

> > Other than people like myself with my three year old trying to use the
> > zebra corssing outside The Bell to get to Hampton Ferry. And the
> > people who live in all of the houses right by the road.
> >

> Yes, those zebras do startle easily, don't they? ;)
>
> As ever, those who say it's safe to drive fast through somewhere haven't
> seen any of the potentially dangerous sites there because, err, they're
> driving too fast to notice them.

in some cases yes, in this i'm less than conviced. its a busy road with
good visabilty, no parked cars, or such. it seems more than a bit odd to
have a 20 zone here, when narrower more resdenial roads etc, are 30. a
max of 30mph seems quite reasonble. during rush hour its quite often
very slow, ie walking pace.

the zebra crossing has good visablity from both directions for traffic.
i don't dought that some traffic is locked on to following the next car
etc. maybe a rased zebra might do the trick if its smooth shouldn't
increase noice and fumes too much.

roger